View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Image stabilized binoculars Reply with quote

Who uses image stabilized binoculars onboard? I have never had the opportunity to try these except in a store. Worth the bucks? When things get sloppy, I can see where these might make a difference in being able to see the next daymark or buoy. What model/magnification are you using?

I have several pair of the old standbys, my favorites being an old Tasco 7x50 with a built in compass (good for getting a bearing). May be time to upgrade before we head out again.

Wild Blue is back at our dock again. We picked her up late this afternoon from getting her bottom painted. I was going to wait until tomorrow to put her back in, but Joan said, "Come on you lightweight. It'll be easier to load and decorate at the dock." It makes me hot when talks like that. Wink The Lighted Boat Parade is tomorrow night... also our anniversary. If we get her decorated and Mother Nature cooperates, we'll be honkin' and wavin' instead of having to dress like grown-ups for a night out.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Approximately 5 years ago when I came to the conclusion I'd rather look than shoot, I bought a Canon 15 power with image stabilization. Very expensive for our income level. Absolutely no regrets. Have used them on horseback without having to dismount, when riding double with Jo-Lee on a ATV, when exploring on the RIB and on the c-dory. Tried the 18 power, they had to small field of view. They are a little heavy packing around on foot. Just right in the boat.

Actually they are great for hunting too. At the time of purchase I was considering buying a new rifle. Decided to put the money into the binoculars instead. Feel its one of my better decisions.

With 8X or below image stabilization wouldn't be worth the added expense. With 12X or above it definitely is.

Jay

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 6 years ago I bought Canon 10 x 30 image stabilizer binoculars ... they are always on the boat ... Steve hates to use them, but I told him "That's what they're for!" They take the bumps out of the water, for sure -- I'm guessing as much time as you folks spend on the water, you wouldn't regret purchasing a pair Smile

Caty
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Image stabilized binoculars Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
... also our anniversary.

Jim & Joan - Congratulations on your xx anniversary and Jim, give Joan a hug for me. Fill in the xx.

I have been woundering about the image stabilized binoculars, but held off because of weight. Now that my boat will be a little longer and capable of handling more weight, I will have to give them a second thought. Which brands should I steer away from and which ones should I look at

________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Canon 15x50 stabilized - great.

Dusty

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Image stabilized binoculars Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:

Jim & Joan - Congratulations on your xx anniversary and Jim, give Joan a hug for me. Fill in the xx.

________
[color=green]Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks... I took care of your hug and took a little squeeze for myself. Wink I didn't mention the anniversary for the congrats (been 34 years, btw), but just to show what a champ the Blonde is. First of all for putting up with me for all these years. But then to go do boat stuff instead of a fancy meal out. She is not big on night boating, but this year will be much easier. Last year was in a 17' catboat, 29 mph winds, and lots of spray... now this year, with the enclosed steering station, a bulkhead between us and the generator, and radar, it should be a lot easier. We were the smallest boat in the parade last year, but took first place in our category. That isn't going to happen for us this year, but it should be fun.

And Joan says to tell you "Hi!", Dave.

And, like Dave, I'll be interested to hear what recommendations anyone has on the stabilized binoculars.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

PS - We share our anniversary date with another C-Brat couple, Joe and Ruth from R-Matey. They have 11 years on us... Joe married her when she was just 4 years old. Very Happy
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy anniversary to all the happy couples. susan and I only have 4 years come april but have known other for 20. cant wait for 40 year. i will be 81 and still fishing, and she will still be shaking her head.
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Image stabilized binoculars Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

And, like Dave, I'll be interested to hear what recommendations anyone has on the stabilized binoculars.

PS - We share our anniversary date with another C-Brat couple, Joe and Ruth from R-Matey. They have 11 years on us... Joe married her when she was just 4 years old. Very Happy

Happy 34th Anniversary to our friends Jim and Joan. Yes, 45 years for us. It was a damp drizzly in Bellflower, California but the sun broke through just as we were saying our vows. I wish that I had met Joe when I was 4 years old then there'd be that many more years of adventures we would have shared together. He loves to tell folks how he ran off with a teenager.....well, we didn't really run off and I tell him that I'm the last teenager he'll ever run off with.....of course, if you watch Dr. Phil, anything's possible.

I think that David (Anna Leigh) bought the stabilized binoculars prior to the 2006 SBS so we checked with a couple of vendors at the SBS when we were there but ended up buying the Alaska dingy instead. So maybe binoculars will be on our list for the 2007 SBS?

Ruth & Joe
R-Matey
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Canon 10 X 30 stabilized. The optics are very good. The stabilization works well on land, but cannot compensate enough on a moving boat.
ORCA

City/Region: germany
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: ORCA
Photos: ORCA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Conan 18x50IS Reply with quote

Hi

I use the canon 18x50IS they are absolutely fantastic. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Regards Chris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are also considering stabalized Binocs--mostly because of the higher speed we are traveling at in the TC 255 (had used 7-8 x in the past on slow boats with no problems).

I have used the Canon Stabalized lenses up to 12x and they definately help with fine shakeand allow a considerably lower shutter speed, for still objects.

We are considering both the Fujinon TechnoStabi and the Canon. In the Boat US test, they were about equal. I have seen some reports that the Fujinon had a more versatile stabalizing systen for boat--both slow wave type motion and hand shake type of fine motion.

Unfortunately few stores carry these in stock in our area, so I am waiting until I get to Calif. Where I know that there will be binocs I can compare side by side.

I would strongly consider center focus as well as nitrogen filled/water proof units.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the 10x30 Canon IS and Fuji 14x40 image stabilized binoculars. The Canon units are great, but the Fuji is fantastic. The Fuji units are water proof and float (with strap on) and most important, the stabilization system operates over a 5 degree range rather than Canon's 1 degree. The increased stabilization range is most useful in a rocking boat.

"Sea Skipper"
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Nikon StabilEyes 14x40 binoculars for Christmas last year. I think they are the same binocular as the Fujinon 14x40's. I have a hand tremor, and when the boat was rocking my standard binoculars were useless to me.

The Nikon 14x40's are amazing. They have a land setting and a marine setting. The land setting allows distant bird watching better than anything I've ever seen. However, using the marine setting on a boat is incredible. You can lock in on another moving boat and read the name and numbers at a great distance.

You can't really see the difference on the marine setting until you're on a boat, so checking them in the store won't allow you to see the real advantages. The stabilization also messes with your head a little, so it takes some practice before it feels normal. Shelley didn't like them at first because she thought that they were going to make her seasick. After a little practice, she also saw the advantages.

I think they are an addition that really adds to safety aboard a boat. I wouldn't want to go back to regular binoculars on board after using them.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear from a retired Coast Guard member who was skippering a wildlife watching boat in Sitka that using stabilized binoculars for long periods could make you nauseaous because of the contrast between the stable image and the sensation of the rolling motion in your inner ears.

Guess everything has a down side!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Canon makes the lowest priced image stabilized binoculars. Doing a quick Froogle search, their 8x25 starts at 164.00 and the 10x30 start at 269.00. Seeing, as I do not have a big boat, I thought I would get the 8x25’s. Any one used these and what are your thoughts?
_________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: