The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16 vs. 19 vs. 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

Not to highjack this thread, but it occured to me that you're the only one I know of with experience on not only the 19 and 22, but also on the 16. I'd really like to see you follow up the above post with a few comparative notes on the 16, now that you and Jon have one up in La-La Land. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe's note above refers to this post...splitting things off to keep the other thread (19 vs. 22) on topic.

Da Nag wrote:
westward wrote:
Greetings!

My understanding is that the 19' is basically the same hull form as the 22' but shortened by 3'. My general sense of boat design immediately says to go with the 22 if the budget allows. Decreasing the running surface on the same hull would tend to decrease overall hull efficiency and could lead to porpoising, poor tracking, balance issues, etc.

I've had both...started with the 19, moved up to 22. There are certainly differences in how people rig their boats, but the following are my experiences with the two boats powered essentially the same - a single + small kicker.

There is no noticeable difference in porpoising, tracking or balance between to the two boats, in my experience - assuming proper engine trim and/or trim tab positioning.

There is a difference in efficiency, depending on the situation. The transition from displacement to planing happens more quickly on the 22, and it happens at a slightly lower speed. As such, I find the 22 a more comfortable and better handling boat when things are "medium sloppy" - that is, when the chop keeps you in the 8-10MPH range, and you're on/off the throttle frequently.

In very good or very nasty waters, there is very little difference in how the two boats handle. I got stuck in SF Bay on my way back to Berkeley one afternoon, in some very ugly stuff. Likewise, I recently crossed Juan de Puka in equally nasty conditions in the 22. The 22 was less stressful, but only because of the reduced noise due to the enclosed cabin...neither boat felt any more seaworthy than the other, they both handled things admirably.

In general, the 19 is more sensitive to weight aft than the 22. It's fairly well accepted now, that keeping things light back there makes a significant difference. Were I to rig one again, I'd get a light single, no kicker, and keep the minimum safe amount of fuel on board necessary for the trip.

In general, I like the 22 better. However, insofar as fishing goes, the 19 has some very nice features. The gunnels are much wider - makes for a much nicer platform upon which to mount things, and it's much more comfortable to rest your butt on. The sides under the gunnels are enclosed with flotation, but if you don't mind giving up a minor amount of it, you can mount tackle boxes in there - check out the photos at the bottom of this page for examples. Access from the helm to your rods is much nicer in the 19 - you can be on them in 2 seconds, with no need to step through a doorway. Even though the cockpit size is pretty similar between a 22 Cruiser and a 19 Angler, it's more functional on the 19 given the open cabin.

Can't go wrong with either...just pick the one that suits your needs best.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, one of the "C-Brats" took a 16 from Tulsa, OK, down the ICW all the way to New Orleans.... albeit in short runs.

JOHn
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from a 16 expert - many others have far more hours on their's than the C-Lous and I have spent on Pee Wee.

That being said...there's a huge difference between the 16 and the 19/22's. They are in completely different categories, serving entirely different needs.

The 16 shines in it's simplicity - there is no equal in the C-Dory line when it comes to fuel economy, towing, launching, and ease of use. Virtually anyone, even with little boating experience, will feel very comfortable in a 16 in short order. These attributes I consider pretty objective - on a more subjective note, I consider it to have the biggest "fun factor" of any of the C-Dorys, and I've been on all of them with the exception of the new TomCat.

I can't think of a better design for short day trips, on relatively protected water, for one or two people with a minimal amount of gear. However it's limitations (as compared to it's larger siblings) become readily apparent when things start to get nasty, or when overnight cruising becomes a major component of one's use. Yes, I know Brock is the major exception to this rule...something I admire him for, and consider quite amazing. However, I think most folks will find the 16 too small for the the type of cruising he does...they'll simply want a larger sleeping area, a few more creature comforts, and a little more peace of mind should the weather turn iffy a day or so into the trip.

As a fishing vessel, I love the 16 Angler...but again, it's not for everyone. I'm not a hard core fisherman, and fortunately, neither is my fishing buddy. Neither of us care to spend hours on end in rough water, regardless of how good the fishing is. With the 16, one will need to pick/choose their fishing days/locations a little more carefully than with a larger boat, but the experience is much nicer. When on a 16, I feel much more in tune with the water and my surroundings, given the size...it's a very satisfying experience. At the same time, it still provides one with a great sense of security - much more than one would feel in any open boat of the same size.

In short...it's hard to describe the appeal of a 16 until you've been on one. I've stated it before, and it's still true - it's my favorite C-Dory, even though it's applications are more limited than other models. It just make you feel giddy every time you go out... Xmas LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: