The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Engine flush & shore power questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Engine flush & shore power questions Reply with quote

I have a few maintenance questions:

Please point me to a previous post if it is covered somewhere>

1.What is the best way to flush the Honda 40 HP engines at the end of each day [docked] when you are in salt water for a few weeks.

I have been removing the engine cover and back flushing the rubber tube that is connected to the cooling system exit port on the Starboard side of the engine, until water is draining out of all ports below.

I know there is port near the gear oil port but it will not flush the upper part of the system described above. I have tried the earmuffs, with the engines in the up position and turned off but again no water out the cooling exit port.

I know that its ok to run the engines in neutral and down with muffs on [and water flowing in ] when boat is out of water, but that doesn't work when I am docked somewhere.

I asked one Honda mechanic about running the engines [in neutral] with muffs on, and water on - with the engine in the up position and he said lubrication of the engine at that angle might cause a problem.

I did search for some of this under engine flush - may have had the wrong search word.

2. I am trying to learn about shore power - I think mine is 15 amp - as the manual said we needed 15 amp if battery charger was installed.

I am using the Cafarano dehumidifer with fan when not in the boat and the circuit brakers handle it fine

I purchased a Cafarano electric heater [for boat, shop, home etc] I can only run it on the low fan and heat setting which never really dries out the boat when I am hooked up to shore power [and on the boat] . The higher setting throw the circuit breaker. I could see using this for winter cruising to explore several Puget Sound Marinas this winter

So - any suggestions for an electric heat system [at shore power] when I don't want to run the Wallace stove?

Is it difficult to upgrade to a higher amp system?

Different Marinas have different types of amperage - how do you manage that.

3. Do most of you who run the Wallace or alcohol stoves have a CO detector on board?
Especially when docked and the Bimini cover is closed and CO could accumulate in the enclosed area.?

Thanks

Jim
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, my Honda 45s are in salt water all the time when the boat is in the water. I launch in the spring and recover in the fall/early winter. I just tilt the engines out of the water and let them drain when at my pier. I only flush them at the end of the season in a portable engine flush apparatus that I have after the boat is on the trailer. No ill effects noted.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three standard marina plugs: 15 amp--which is the standard two progs and a round at the bottom/household. The 30 amp 110 volt (Round with one of the plugs having an L on it). 50 amps--can be either 220 or 110. There are different adaptors for the 50 amp 110 and the 220--forget those. You may need a 30 to 15 amp adaptor. It is easy to make one--use an outdoor household female plug, to a 30 amp male connector.
(or for $50 you can buy one). I have occasionally seen 20 amp round in canada or 20 amp cross blade in the US--but these are both rare.

I also keep an RV 30 amp to marine 30 amp adaptor, for the times I am staying in an RV park with a boat.

Most of the ceramic 1200 watt heaters will run on a 15 amp circuit. You may have to turn off the battery charger when the heater is on.

It seems rare to see a 15 amp shore power connector on a boat. The current C Dory list gives a 30 amp circuit. You might want to get a 15 to 30 amp adaptor, for the times when a small marina does not have a 30 amp socket.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jstates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Shore power Reply with quote

Bob

Thanks for the information - I wasn't sure which adapter I had but from your description I must have a 30 amp - as their are three prongs with an L bend on one of them.

It does not look at all like the 15 amp standard 3 prong you described.

I did turn everything else off - [battery charger and the middle circuit braker labeled auxiliary - ground faults seem to be working OK>

Today when At West Marine - the salesperson indicated the heater should run even on the 15 amp - of course much better on the 30 amp. So he thought perhaps the circuit braker was going out - or something was not wired correctly. He had a thirty amp service on his boat and was running two heaters at times.

The prior CD owner had indicated he could run a couple of appliances at once - including a ceramic heater.

Any idea how to narrow it down?

Thanks

Jim
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a topic I was going to bring up, so thanks for doing so.

I've been advised by long-time PNW boaters to have both a humidifier and a heater going in my boat to prevent mold and to cook off manufacturing toxins/fumes.

What's the consensus opinion on this? And if the opinion is to get either or both, what brands are recommended? Cafarano? Other? And is it necessary to keep a heater going once the boat is "broken in"?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

A 15 amp outlet should be able to run an 1800 watt heater or appliance.

15 amps x 120 volts = 1800 watts

Most small electric heaters have a low and a high setting that are in the neighborhoods of

low~600-800 watts

high~1400-1600 watts

plus about 100 watts for the fan motor which runs on all settings

A 30 amp service outlet should therefore handle up to about 3600 watts.

Check the wattage specs on your heater (must be posted on a tag on the appliance). If the heater is rated at 1800 watts or less and still making the circuit breaker open the circuit, either

1. the appliance is taking more current than it is supposed to (is defective), or

2. the extension cord is too long, dropping the voltage too low, in which case the amperage goes up inversely, which generally overheats appliances and trips circuit breakers, or

3. you have another appliance using current that you're not accounting for.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim – what size is your heater? Look for a wattage rating on the heater. It will be on the heater somewhere. There may be several ratings on it for different settings.

To figure out your amperage, capacity of your circuit breaker (example 15 amps) divide the watts of your heater (example 1500 watts) by your line voltage (120v) 1500/120=12.5 amps. If you have a 15 amp circuit breaker and it trips, there is additional draw somewhere (something else is on) or the circuit breaker is bad. If the wattage is 2000 watts divided by 120 volts = 16.66 amps, your circuit breaker is too small.

If the line voltage is low, for example 110 volts in the above example, 1500 watts/110volts the amperage is 13.64 amps.

If you are hooked up to a marina that has a drop in line voltage or a long extension cord your amperage will increase. Your 15 amp circuit breaker may work in one location but not in another because of the drop in line voltage.

Joe you beat me to this post but I am going to post it anyway

________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jstates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: The Caframo is rated at 600/900/1500 Watts Reply with quote

Dave and Joe

The Caframo is rated as above and will work on the 600 W setting, but not on the 900 or above. I am using about a 35-40 foot extension cord that came with the boat.

Perhaps its the length of the cord, the Marina setup or a faulty circuit breaker - as you have suggested, since I as far as I can tell I have all other power off - [charger]

Thanks -

Jim
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

Try and run the heater right at the outlet w/o the extension cord on the higher settings to see if it's the length of the cord, the circuit breaker, or the appliance.

Joe.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - another thing to look at is the size of wire in the extension cord. If it is too small, you can have a voltage drop which will cause an increase in amperage. A loose connection in your outlet can cause a voltage drop. It could be a combination of several things, not necessarily one thing. Do you know how to use a VOM (voltage ohm meter). I would suggest you get one. They are invaluable in trouble shooting these kind of problems.

If you do not have a VOM or you do not know how to use one, I will give you one and help with the basics of its use, when we meet for the Seattle Ship Canal Cruise. I have four or five VOM’s setting around.

________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
jstates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Circuit Breaker Reply with quote

Joe

I don't think I used the correct terminology: The extension cord I was referring to is the thick yellow, three prong [probably 30 amp] shore to boat plug in like what most others use in our Marina. I don't use extension cord in the C-dory - thanks for the ideas and explanations.

I have tried two heaters directly in the 110 outlet on the boat, and both broke the circuit - I think its the circuit breaker??

Dave

Thanks for the ideas and kind offer to try a volt meter. I think I will try to get into the circuit breaker - [when power is disconnected].

I obviously need a course in electrical engineering - and a refresher in physics I= ER

Jim
jstates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Flush system Reply with quote

Charlie

Thanks for the photo of your land based flush system.

Jim
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Circuit Breaker Reply with quote

jstates wrote:
Joe

I don't think I used the correct terminology: The extension cord I was referring to is the thick yellow, three prong [probably 30 amp] shore to boat plug in like what most others use in our Marina. I don't use extension cord in the C-dory - thanks for the ideas and explanations.

I have tried two heaters directly in the 110 outlet on the boat, and both broke the circuit - I think its the circuit breaker??

Dave

Thanks for the ideas and kind offer to try a volt meter. I think I will try to get into the circuit breaker - [when power is disconnected].

I obviously need a course in electrical engineering - and a refresher in physics I= ER

Jim

I'm unclear: is it the main 30 amp breaker tripping, or the 15 amp
breaker to the outlet? If your 30 amp breaker is tripping, that
doesn't sound too good. If the 15 amp is tripping, perhaps it is
defective, or perhaps something is a bit loose in your wiring.

Or is it the GFCI tripping? The outlet, or an upstream outlet should
be a GFCI.

Mike
jstates

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Circuit breaker problems Reply with quote

Mike the 15 amp breaker is the one that is tripped by the heater - the other 15 amp breaker to the battery charger works ok - though I have been turning it off when running the heater.

The GFCI seems to work ok, it is not turning off the power when the circuit breaker goes.

Jim
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

Sounds like the two 15 amp breakers are both in your boat!

If you think the one is defective that's on the accessory circuit, and the one on the charger circuit is OK, you might switch them and see what happens.

If the heater still trips the other breaker installed in the accessory circuit, it's most probably the heater. If it doesn't, the other breaker is probably defective.

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: