View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: A question about bottom paint... Reply with quote

Wild Blue goes in tomorrow for bottom paint. I have used CSC Extra on our other boats with good results; usually two years before they needed touching up. My neighbor is a boat builder, and recommends Aquaguard, a water-based antifouling ablative paint. I have no experience with it, as it seems to be popular on the east and west coasts, but relatively unknown on the "South" coast. Less expensive than the CSC, and easier to handle and ship (not considered hazardous cargo).

Our shallow water and warm temps make for some aggressive bottom critters; I have tried to keep up with it, scraping and scrubbing regularly... but the last time, one of the barnacles tried to wrestle me down and hold me under. Thank goodness Joan was there with a large club to stun it while I scrambled back into the boat! Wink

So, any C-Brats have experience with Aquaguard? The instructions say that no epoxy barrier coat is necessary (though there is a primer). Thanks in advance, friends.

And one more quick question. We have always flown a US flag from the proper places on our sailboats. With the camperback, there is no place to put a flag on the stern. Where and how are you folks mounting a flag on your boats? If it works out to go to the Bahamas this spring, we'll need a place to put a Q flag and courtesy flag.

Otherwise, we are pretty well good to go after the first of the year. We're going to be doing some non-boat travel in December, (Arizona and Maui) so I won't have much to post about... gonna need some tales here from the folks who are C-Dorying to keep me going!

Again, I appreciate any advice from the knowledge bank here.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Sorry that this does not help but it appears that you're out of luck with the flag placement.

Quote:
The U.S. ensign is always flown at the stern of your boat. NEVER display the national ensign on your bow staff. Flying the ensign anywhere but at the stern of your boat is considered disrespectful of your country’s flag.

This is from the following website: http://powerboat.about.com/od/boatlife/l/aa051304a.htm

Enjoy your vacation. I'm sure you and Joan must be exhausted from all your time aboard "Wild Blue" and your life and death struggles with those killer barnacles.

You guys make me green with envy. In a nice way, of course. Mr. Green

Regards,
Jim
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My anchor light staff is mounted on my aft radar arch and I fly it from there. This is the same area that the USCG flies the national ensign on their 25-28 ft fast pursuit boats. You can just see it behind the radar dome on the little pic to the left.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
djnward

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: HobbEs
Photos: HobbEs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: bottom paint Reply with quote

Jim
Just to throw a curve into this topic, I've read in my Yamaha owners manual that bottom paints containing copper and graphite are to be avoided. Guess that leaves tin. They say it leads to faster corrosion. It's gotta be pretty minimal at 100 hours average use per year but I'd be curious on anyones thoughts.
I recently purchased Cappie and am very greatful for all the advise and particularly "remodeling" photos on this site. I don't know if I'm getting older or it's getting colder out there but standing in the cockpit of my sailboat while motoring half the time finally got to me.
Dick
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about bottom paint... Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
I have tried to keep up with it, scraping and scrubbing regularly... but the last time, one of the barnacles tried to wrestle me down and hold me under. Thank goodness Joan was there with a large club to stun it while I scrambled back into the boat! Wink

Jim – I wonder if you ran into the Texas version of what I encountered HERE. You know they say everything is bigger in Texas.
________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick – I see you have been a member for a few months, but this is your first post, so let me welcome you aboard.

I hope our paths cross sometime on the sound.

________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djnward wote:
Code:
I've read in my Yamaha owners manual that bottom paints containing copper and graphite are to be avoided.

They are correct. An not only Yamaha's but any motor or outdrive, because adding paint with cooper or any other dissimiler metal will
create electralious (sp). There are special paints made for motors and transducers that do not contain metals.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most popular paints in the Pensacola area are Trinidad SR and Micron CSC. Practical Sailor/boat owner has rated Trinidad SR adn Micron CSC extra at the top of their lists for some time. I don't know anyone who has used the other paint. Tin (or TBO) paints are quite limited because of the environmental influence--however there are areas in San Diego CA which are studying copper (which is also known to decrease benthos) and considering limiting the daily maximum concentrations of copper.
You can use copper bottom paint on boats with an outboard, but generally advised to keep the copper bottom paint 1" from the aluminum of the motor bracket. One likes to keep the motors all of the wayup, so that little if any of the leg is kept in the water. There are several paints which are utalized on outboards--both the lower leg and bracket.

Look at the Thataway Album--I have used a 1" SS tubing fitting for a flag holder on the transom of the TC 255 below the cover. I belive that you could do the same of the CD 25. You might use a 60 degree rather than a 45 degree fitting. In some boats I have also flown the United States flag from the Radar arch with a fitting for a staff there.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand by for some sticker shock..... I ordered the best bottom paint for a trailer boat from West Marine...at $129 a gallon...when it arrived it was $170...shocked I asked why? and they said that copper has gone up in price so much that they had to raise the price....Yeow !
I got 3 full coats on the bottom from a gallon. (22' boat) I used West Systems epoxy as a barrier coat and was thrilled by how nice it turned out.

Joel
SEA3PO (no the bottom paint was on the tug)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: bottom paint Reply with quote

djnward wrote:

I recently purchased Cappie and am very greatful for all the advise and particularly "remodeling" photos on this site. I don't know if I'm getting older or it's getting colder out there but standing in the cockpit of my sailboat while motoring half the time finally got to me.
Dick

Hi Dick, and welcome aboard! I won't be bottom painting the motor or trim tabs with the CSC. Aquaguard does have a "translucent" spray-on paint that sounds good for those, though. I'll keep y'all posted as I get deeper into this. BTW, there are quite a few sailors here who are truly enjoying the protection of an enclosed helm station - you're in good company!

David, were you able to find a fitting for the radar arch or did you make something? Checking WM, I couldn't find anything in the proper diameter. I sure like the way your flag set up looks and will try something like that.

Dave, these Texas barnacles are not like your flesh-eating bugs. These start out shaped like a volcano, a couple inches across and grow to 6 to 8 FEET in diameter in about 20 minutes. They are armor plated and impervious to diamond tipped tools. They have the adherence of cured 5200; they're foul smelling, and have been known to say rude things, even to their own Mothers. No socially redeeming qualities whatsoever. Equally disgusting is the slime which forms on the hull in a nanosecond in our warm water. It grows to several inches per hour. It is easier to remove it with a chisel or even dynamite... this stuff laughs at your average powerwasher. I must have been out of my mind thinking I could keep up with it by scrubbing/scraping.

Thanks all for your suggestions here, folks!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reference to tin paints has me wondering.

Years ago, I bought some anti-fouling paint containing TBT (tri-butyl tin). It worked great and didn't become ineffective like some copper based paints when exposed to air on a trailered boat.

More recently, in the S.F. Bay area, I was told that tin-based anti-fouling paints were now illegal on recreational boats. Commercial boats apparently can still use them if involved in international trade, I think.

Does anyone know the truth about this?

My Sea Ray on Shasta Lake has Pettit Trinidad anti-fouling paint on it. The yard that applied it says they consider it a 'lifetime paint' good for the life of a boat in fresh water. It's 76% copper by weight.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess living where there are no Barnacles has some benefit. Check out page 3 of my album. Lots of stuff hanging on that CGAux. boat but I did notice he has flags mounted at the rear of the roof. That may be one thing to consider. I have also seen a flag staff mounted on the motor hood. I will always temp. mount stuff with strong double stick foam tape and check out placement, clearance, Etc. before drilling. Mount it there and check out the look. Mine is aft of the lazerette cove but I suppose your camper top covers that.

It's something in the water!
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding flying the US ensign:

On powerboats, there appears to be considerable flexibility. The link below is from Chapmans...

http://deepcreekyachtclub.com/WebPage/etiquett.htm

A quote from the text in the link:

"On a sportsfisherman, where a stern staff would be in the way of the action, the practice is to fly the ensign from a halyard rigged just behind the tuna tower."

So, barring the availability of a stern staff, any vertical line or post towards the back of the boat appears to be appropriate. At least, that's the way it looks to me.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just researched the U.S. Flag placement for my TomCat, all of the above were mentioned. The camper back and fishing calls for a removable flag staff. Champman's recommends aft flagstaff to starboard if not on centerline, and above cabin as Dave (Anna Leigh) shows. The installation staff at the Puget Sound Yacht Service echoed the above.

I am placing a removable, wooden flagstaff to starboard, and will fly the ensign off the radar arch when the aft location is blocked or hindering fishing.

John
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I used Micron CSC (2 coats,) on the bottom. It worked well in the San Juans this summer, coming out with some scum after 2 mos. A trip through the Columbia River cleaned that off.

Good paint is cheap, compared to the price of hauling and sanding. Painting Journey On on/above the trailer was a bear. However, I did buy the paint on sale, and the shipping was nominal, with no hazardous fees.

Please remember to seal the hull with Interprotect epoxy. They recommend 4 coats, I probably got by with 3, with the rationale that the boat sits on a trailer most of the time. I also dewaxed and sanded the hull. Worked out well.

Glad to hear that Wisconsin doesn't have sea life, cause we'll be there next summer. However I've read about zebra mussels. When we came through the Great Lakes, the sailboat did have some growth on the bottom.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: