The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Can I park here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Can I park here? Reply with quote

My house is on a hill. On one side, next to the attached garage, the hill went down at quite an angle until the end of my property, about 12 feet away. Son Joe built a wall along the property line behind a row of arbor vitae. He used these semi-triangular 70 lb cement blocks and the wall is two and three rows high. I filled in the area with, well, fill. When we kept our 22' boat in the water we stored out trailer there. Perfect. Now that I have the wonderful 16 footer and keep it on the trailer I want to know if it is safe to park the boat and trailer there.It would be perfect. Joe says no. He says it would be too heavy and the wall. blah, blah, blah. He pointed out to me that he has two degrees in civil engineering. I told him I would go to the source, and ask you guys.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty, is it level? And how long has it been there If it's well compacted and level, the weight of a 16 on a trailer, distributed over two tires and a tongue shouldn't be too much for it. Hopefully the blocks forming the wall slope up towards the house and aren't just straight up and down....

If your tires don't sink in when you're backing into it, it should be OK...

On the other hand, kids usually get smarter as they get older. Mine did... I did too, they tell me. Shocked

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie-Its been there about 3 years. I put pavers down where the wheels go.
Each wall block has a little lip on the back so each successive top one hooks on to the one below. The wall is level, as is thefill, maybe a one degree downward angle for runoff. How come you're not raking leaves.?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty-

How deep is the fill on the average, and at it's deepest point?

How saturated would you guess the fill can become with water?

What composition is the fill?

Is there anything it it to resist flowing like the crushed rock in roadbed gravel?

Is it of a kind that, when saturated with water, would flow easily?

If you're going to ask amateurs to make a recommendation, a photo or two of the site would be very helpful!

Is there a Soil Engineer in the C-Brat house?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe-Good questions all. It's gonna take a while to get the answers together, but I will try. And I won't park there until I do get an OK. Is there a specific kind of professional I could go to to have this area checked? I have very good neighbors and I wouldn't want my boat falling into their yard.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picures would be good.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Leigh wrote:
Picures would be good.

After it falls in the neighbors yard or before ?
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I park here? Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Joe says no. He says it would be too heavy and the wall. blah, blah, blah. He pointed out to me that he has two degrees in civil engineering.

Heck, I'd park it there. I know civil engineers - both my Dad and brother have the plaques on the wall (Go Bears!), and working for a water utility, I also deal with these paranoid number crunchers all day long.

As such, they tend to have the mindset that nothing should be built that can't withstand the apocalypse. Fer example, our back yard patio (my Dad's old house) has concrete 6" thick.

Besides...if I'm wrong, it sounds like you have somebody standing by that could fix it. Xmas Naughty

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:
Anna Leigh wrote:
Picures would be good.

After it falls in the neighbors yard or before ?

Preferably before, then a few actions shots. Then finish up with the post mortem. Xmas LOL
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute best thing you can do is.......TRUST your son...and agree with his assesment.... even if you think it is wrong... he has a degree and if you go against his advise you will really hurt his feelings, and damage your relationship...big time.
I know this for a fact....my father would trust some guy working in a gas station before he would ever trust anything I had to say....even though I taught auto mechanics at a community college.

Joel
SEA3PO
wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a house around the block used the landscape blocks .. build up front and side of yard .. to walk past it has to be close to six feet at center has been their now for quite a few years ... filled to the top with earth and looks as good as the day it was built ...not a answer really but the point is those landscape blocks on good footing don't budge that easily their a good product .... wc
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
I have very good neighbors and I wouldn't want my boat falling into their yard.

Marty, please park next to my yard and let your boat fall into it. I'd like a little C-Dory! Wink

Charlie
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty-

It seems you've got several questions or groups of questions to deal with here:

1. Technical questions about soil type, stability, structural integrity of the wall, etc.

2. Personal relationship questions about whether to trust you son's judgment, expertise, etc., and what will happen to your relationship if you don't.

3. How much risk taking you're comfortable with concerning the boat in view of the uncertainty posed by the landfill, etc.

First of all, you really won't get an accurate and definitive answer from a bunch or amateurs like us looking at a few emails, with or without the photos we requested.

It would take a Soil Engineeer with on site observations and lab tests to give you the best answer, and then it would still be a guess based on the information gathered and some probability estimations. And it would be expensive.

I seems to me at this point that if you want to protect your relationship and strengthen it with your son, you should put the burden of the decision making back on him by asking him what changes would have to be made to improve the stability of the site. Does it need paving to keep the water out? Would metal stakes driven into the deep, firm underlying soil, help the top fill from moving? Do the blocks need to be tied together better?, Etc., etc.

This way you'll put your trust in his judgement, and may well get the corrective work, if any, done for the cost of the materials, and improve the site until you trust it much better yourself.

This approach is not without risks, however, as he could say that the site cannot be made safe.

In that case, I'd suggest you let it rest for awhile, then test it by putting some weight similar to your boat on it for a few good wet months or a season, and then if it doesn't show any movement, declare it safe by testing, and park it there anyway!

Good Luck!

Joe.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Joe, that's too hard. Maybe put your boat there, it's heavier!!Marty, just park the sucker there and see if it's there tomorrow...

Charlie Wink
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always some great advice. We faced a similar issue. Our house is bult on a mound of compacted earth--and the neighbors yards are at least 4 feet lower (the difference between having 4 feet of water in your house and none in hurricane Ivan).

We built a wall--poured footers about 1 foot deep, and then up to 4 feet of concrete block--with Rebar going into the footers, folder over into the 4" cap drive made of 3500 PSI fibre reinforced concrete. We park a 20,000 lb RV, and a 9,000 lb truck on this structure, with no cracks or sliding, despite being flooded over the top of the drive during storms.

I realize that is much different than your situation--but it shows that you can build a structure which is resistant to slipage. (I'll have to admit we didn't have an engineer do the design--just some good old boys who work with concrete all of the time.)

So in your case, you might ask your son, if there is anything you can do to strenthten the wall--such as putting in rebar, different footings, change drainage--to keep the relationship--and get the boat on the drive. My guess is that the boat will be fine--but you have lots of considerations...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: