Gunkholing on the Chesapeake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben

City/Region: Baltimore
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Ben (Name-TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Gunkholing on the Chesapeake Reply with quote

Having recently purchased (August) a 22 ft cruiser, I am just finding new coves and crannies that the deeper draft boats can't quite reach. One great little cove is on the north shore of Wye Island, about 1 mile west of the bridge there is a small cove (unnamed) about 4 feet deep. It is about 100 yards across (just right for a snug anchorage).

There are many little coves like this that I'd love to explore, such as the coves on the east side of Eastern Neck Island. The great thing about the C-Dory design is that one can slip into waters that hardly any other boats can get into. On the flip side, none of the guide books mention or write about these coves, since no one else can get into them. I would love to hear from others cruising this area about nice little gunkholes that you won't find in the books. I know that sharing your favorite spots is kind of like sharing your favorite fishing hole (most people won't do it). But it might be a pleasant surprise to find another C-Dory in the same waters. I hope to generate some discussion and create a little thread that we can refer to in the future when we want to find that out of the way spot away from the crowds. Thanks to all and hope to see you on the water. Ben[/img]
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sharing your favorite spots
That sounds great. You need an album so the rest of us can enjoy some of your coves and crannies .

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, come to our Eastern Shore Gathering in June next year. check out the pictures of the gathering for the past two years in the albums. Hopefullly Tom will run it again, we have about 30 boats there and many more owners without boats. I'm down at the mouth of the Potomac (some probably call me the MOUTH OF THE POTOMAC too), if you get down my way, stop in.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess thats better than living at the other end of the Potomac.

Joel
SEA3PO
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Betcha! Laughing I been called lots worse!

Charlie
Ben

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Adeline's suggestion, I got a folder from Tyboo Mike and posted three photos from Wye Island. Does anyone know how to post sub-folders and organize pictures within these subfolders? Thanks. Ben
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,
The Chesapeake is a great place to cruise in a C-Dory. There is no hesitation to share good anchorages but there are so many available with the super shallow draft of a C-Dory that it is better to suggest to try all you encounter. The vast majority of the surface area of the bay and it's feeder rivers consist of shallow waters. I circumnavigated Wye Island a few weeks ago and found the Wye Narrows a particularly good place to cruise. A push pole can get a 22' into the most protected and secluded of places safely. With the engine up 12" of water is enough to keep afloat; watch your tides.
Mike 'Levity"
Ben

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The push pole is a great idea. I used to use them fishing the marshes of south Louisiana. It hadn't occurred to me to try one on the C-Dory. I am curious what type you use and where you got it. Thanks. Ben

Last edited by Ben on Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben wrote:
At Adeline's suggestion, I got a folder from Tyboo Mike and posted three photos from Wye Island. Does anyone know how to post sub-folders and organize pictures within these subfolders? Thanks. Ben

Ben - when you are in your photo album, there will be two drop down arrows. One near the top that has “album actions” on it, the other under the photo icons in your album that has “photo actions” on it. Click on the drop down arrows and you should be able to figure it out from there. If you still have trouble or can’t quite figure a function out, post another question and some one will help.

Welcome aboard. You have yourself a great boat for gunkholing.

________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben--- A good book for historical information and exploring the Eastern Shore, and it's unknown nooks and crannies is called-- RIVERS OF THE EASTERN SHORE--- by Hulbert Footner written in 1944 and 1972( a wealth of information). It covers 17 Maryland rivers, and information on many historical homes and building along the way( that are still standing), locations of former villages(that have disappeared), various points of land and landings, and various flora and fona, dating back to the 1600's to present day. Not to be used for navigation. I'm sure Mishner used this book as one of his sources.-----Rich
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunkholing got my attention. SeattleBoat Show has scheduled these seminars about Gunkholing in the San Juans and Puget Sound.

http://www.seattleboatshow.com/index.cfm/hurl/Pg=81/OrderBy=field01value/AlphaChar=Y

Sorry to interrupt

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,
The push pole came from Gander Mountain. It is a telescoping aluminum pole that accepts attachments like a paddle, a frog foot, or boat hook. Similar push poles are available from Cabellas and Pro Bass Shops. Sometimes I get the notion to attach oar locks and row my boat from a standing position in the cockpit. It seems likely the boat could be propelled 1-2 knots this way. The shallows are usually calm places with little current. Push poling and rowing allows one to move into an area without disrupting the natural residents.
Mike 'Levity'
Ben

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rich,

I will check out that book. They do have it at my local library (just checked on-line). Thanks for the tip. I have been reading a similar book to the one you mention: The Disappearing Islands of the Chesapeake by William B Cronin. It was just published this year, but gives a fairly detailed view of all the major islands on the bay, going through their history of settlement and usually their eventual abandonment and demise. It is amazing to see how quickly these geologic processes take place. Most of these islands are eroding or washing out at an alarming rate, due to many processes, but rising sea levels being among the most powerful. If you look at any of the charts for the bay you will see extensive shoaling near almost every shoreline, these shoals mark the previous extension of land. It is odd to realize how quickly firm ground can revert to open water. These sinking islands also should provide good Gunkholing opportunities as well. I will certainly post regarding my future explorations. Thanks again for the tip on the book, I will look it up. Ben
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben--- I purchased the book-RIVERS OF THE EASTERN SHORE- from Riverby Books-- www.riverbybooks.com they have two used book stores in Washington DC (202)543-4342 and in Fredericksburg, Va. (540)-373-6148. They actually have a seperate book section devoted to the Chesapeake Bay and the surrounding area, every time I stop in they always have new(old) books regarding the Chesapeake Bay, I recently purchased a book devoted entirely to Smith Island (past to present )history. All of their prices seem to be very reasonable, and most hard backs still have the dust cover. Most books are less than $10.00 ------Rich
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Ben! We are confirmed Left Coasters here, but absolutely LOVED our all-too-short experience gunkholing on the Chesapeake (and Potomac) on Otter (courtesy of Tom Callahan) in June 2005...for sure, go to the Great Eastern Shore CBGT next June, this is an experience not to be missed...

One of my favorite shots, Halcyon and a workboat, early in the morning...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: