The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Windshield Wiper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T Lats

City/Region: Yakutat
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: MYRIAD
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Windshield Wiper Reply with quote

I was just wondering if I have a factory installed wiper motor, and if I do the arm and wiper appear to be the wrong one.( the thing just goes through the motions and does not remove water) I am lead to believe it is the wrong arm because the wiper movement allows it to spend alot of time on other windows!!
Can I order these from the factory or is there aftermarket?

I am new to the site and very glad I found it there is alot of useful info here and I can tell I will be checking in very often as I get my boat ready for the Alaska waters!!!

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Lats – welcome aboard. As you will notice there are many members up in Alaska.

Before you replace the wiper-motors, check the spring tension on the arms. Make sure it is tight enough to cause pressure on the windshield with the wiper blade. Also check the condition of the wiper blade itself. If the rubber is hard, cracked, or bent, replace it. You should be able to get replacement blades at any automotive parts store.
________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T Lats-

The wiper blade travel should be limited to just one window, of course!

If the wiper arc (swing width) is right, but just not centered on the window correctly, you can pull off the arm and remount it differently on the splined stub on the end of the motor, moving it such that your reposition the arc so that it correctly is centered on the window.

If your wiper arc is covering more than a single window and just plain too wide, you may be able to change the width of the arc, depending on the type of motor you have. Some don't allow any adjustment, others do. Remove the blade and wiper arm, then remove the nut on the splined stub that holds the motor up to the windshield. There may be a screw or two also holding the motor to the windshield-if so, remove it or them.

Now take the cover off the motor and look inside. Some motors have adjustment positions where you can move a pin around at different distances out from the center of a gear. The gear rotates, and the pin and the arm it attaches to turn the rotary motion into reciprocating motion like a crankshaft and a connecting rod. Moving the pin inward on the gear makes for a smaller arc, and moving it outward increases the arc. Unfortunately, some motors have the pin fixed, and no adjustment is possible.

If you have to get a new motor, take a protractor and see what amount of arc you need. Most motors come in either an 80 degree or a 110 degree sweep, or are adjustable to either. A few are adjustable to 45, 60, 80, or 110 degrees.

Good Luck and let us know if you have any more questions or need any additional help!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Reply with quote

T Lats wrote:
I am lead to believe it is the wrong arm because the wiper movement allows it to spend alot of time on other windows!!

I must have been asleep when I first responded to this post and I read it twice but for some reason this sentence did not register with me.

Glad Joe came along and gave some relevant suggestions.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: