The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16 footer heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: 16 footer heater Reply with quote

I bought a Lil Buddy propane heater for the boat. I set out to buy the coleman everybody, including Consumers I think, reccomended. But I got this one because it can be secured nicely on its four legs right in front of the porta potti. Also I like the idea of matchless ignition and especially of an O2 sensor with auto shut off. The couple times i used it it heats very well with one 1lb canister lasting all day. My question is this-if I shut the heater down,turn it to off,the pilot light goes out. Is propane leaking out if the tank is still attached?. Do I have to remove the tank when I turn the heater off? Thanking you in advance..

"...we're all in the same boat..."
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave the tank on. Never been a problem. I think after many months of sitting idle some if not all of the remaining propane may have leaked off.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a GREAT heater. We've logged countless hours with ours with zero problems. We leave our bottle attached. When we bought the new Foggy Dew, we installed a smoke & CO detector just to be extra safe.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that's a great endorsement coming from Alaskans. I do appreciate it and the sound advice.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you an example...when we lived in Kodiak, we trolled for kings year round. In January the temps were in the low 30's. I wore jeans, a t-shirt and sweater...sometimes I wore a t-shirt and a flannel over it. I was never cold.

We didn't have the CD at the time, with its nice cabin. We were in an aluminum 17' Wooldridge Sport with full canvas (see "the first Foggy Dew" in our album) and that heater would just about drive you out of there unless you kept it on low.

Remember to set the heater on high setting when you first light it and keep it there until the ceramic glows orange...then reduce to low if desired. If you don't do this, it doesn't run as efficiently or safely...builds up more CO.

We sold that unit with the boat when we left AK..didn't anticipate needing one down here in AL...but it does get chilly in winter. So...off to Lowes for a new one. I mounted it at the bottom of the cabin door and it just lifts off when not needed. I'll get a pic of the installation soon.

Enjoy it...we sure do.
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the Wallas on our 22'. It was a great unit, when it worked. But when it broke down it was like furniture made in North Carolina. There is just one guy workin in a barn somewhere who does it all. It the case of the Wallas, a cram course in Finnish is a prerequisite for dealing with the nice man on the other end of the phone. Not to mention the cost!!

Just looked at you photos. Holy Halibut!!

Last edited by dotnmarty on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: