View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Ventilation Reply with quote

The talk of fogging windows reminds me, To avoid foggification I'll open the side windows which is great unless you have waves and wind blowing water in the window. I've been looking and trying to figure out a way to mount some kind of plexiglass spray shield on the window but have yet to stumble on a neat way to do it. The other day it hit me, they sell vents (duh) I could install one then leave the windows closed. I would still like a "ventvisor" type of device on the window..but...anybody have any thoughts on vents, make, model, size, installation?
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
I just bought one of the Nicro Power Vent 3000s from WM. Rather than patch a hole on the cabin roof left by a now relocated radar cable, I decided to enlarge the hole and put it to use. It's been too bloody cold to install it (it requires a 4 3/4" hole), and I certainly have no experience with them, but it looks like a very well made unit, is aesthetically pleasing, and should exchange the cabin air about once/hour. I think it will be of value.
Al
B~C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Al, I've been watching the news, you folks have been getting BLASTED with that artic front, it was supposed to catch us but it stayed to the north Smile
I think I may try the wind powered Nico vent (wind always blows in these parts). The one you have should work like a champ...I can't help but think a proper vent not only would help on the window situation, but also allow one to wake in the morning without the rain forest fresh feeling. Let me know how yours works for ya when you get it installed.....say......about May Smile
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C, a wind powered vent system sounds like just the ticket for you and Rod. More ventilation when you need it the most.
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got one of the Nicro vents. I went for the solar model that just happily hums along day and night. Sure hope it works since I too will have a big hole in the cabin top.

My plan is to install it just over the top of the Wallas so it will work sort of like a range hood. I already have that dropped rack with light glued up to the top just forward of the stove so I also plan to go from there back to the rear of the cabin house with another piece of wood about 2" tall. It will be glued to the roof and create the hood effect with the vent fan installed in this area. I hope it vents steam from the stove since I also plan on putting foam insulation covered with cabin lining carpet on the ceiling in the rest of the areas.

Nicro claims that boats to 24' only need one vent that exausts so this should be plenty for a C-Dory.

B~C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I think those vents need air flowing over the top of them, I don't think the odorous wind the kid & I produce inside the boat will cause them to vent properly, they may go into ventriculation...maybe I should spring for solar power.........I like the range hood idea Tim, can't wait to see it.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to discourage your choice of mounting locations, Tim and Judy, but when you look at the cfm that little fan moves, I wouldn't expect it to adequately act as an exhaust hood for removing steam. It just isn't big enough. It takes a whole hour to exchange the cabin air once. My hope is that it will indeed help mitigate the nightime accumulation of moisture.

And yes, Ken, we have been getting hammered. The whole month of January has been a challenge. Just like the good old days before global warming came into voque. We've had -35F (and I ain't talkin' windchill) a couple of times, plenty of wind, and plenty of snow. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass................
Al
B~C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw WD40's mention of TAP plastics on the crabdammit thread, that looks like a interesting business. I going to try to go visit their store and do a little investigating, see if they could bend up a nice window wind/spray deflector for the sliding windows. I'm thinking of a clear plastic deflector that would mount on the window frame and allow the window to be open an inch or so without letting the weather come inside. Would anybody else be interested in such a widget?
B~C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a thin sheet of acrylic safety glazing at Gnome Depot and cut two, 2" x 16" strips, radiused the ends to match the window frame. Stuck them rascals on the window frame with some 3m mounting tape then gave the ends a little heat treatment to bend them down. Now I gots my spray shields Smile As soon as the camera gets back from Cabo I'll stick a pic on here. If you ever go boating with the window open in a cross wind, you'll want to build some of these
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

WD40 is my evil twin Evil or Very Mad who made the mistake of under powering his Arima Rolling Eyes.

Can't wait to see the window spray guard. In the 16' CD, that horizontal rain comes in and fogs us up, and that's why the window was open in the first place Sad. We have been using a combo de-foging method; I put in a 12 volt auto heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter adaptor and then we have one of those cute little battery powered fans that you can suction about the cabin. Very effective Very Happy.

Jon / AKA WD50 Twisted Evil

B~C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added some pics in the B~C album of my window do-dads. I hope with these plus the addition of a Nico solar powered vent in the roof, I'll be driving around in a little less of a fog
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Nice job on the spray & gas gaurds. Our 16' has the slide window aft that slides forward. I'll have to think on how I can adapt.

Saw the anchor picture too Thumbs Up Thumbs Up. No one can ask "Where's The Beef"Wink.

Jon
B~C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Jon, thanks, This pub is kind of like the idea bank, deposit a few ideas, steal a few ideas...the wonders of the digital camera and the internet. One of these days I'm going to weld some plate on the sides of that high dollar anchor, if I ever perfect it, I'll make one out of stainless
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: