Day-Dreamer

City/Region: Biddeford
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Day-Dreamer
Photos: Day-Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several days ago, Jeff promised a full view of the excellent Quality Control Program at C-Dory. I think we ought give him the opportunity present the program before we make too many judgments on the status of quality control at C-Dory.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is relivant to the design of the 22, but I disagree with Drjohn's analysis that "Half of Thataway's problems are with flexible, nylon attachments and hose clamps, and caulk seams. The temperature build up in a closed boat in Florida can cycle to nudge 140 degrees. The boat was shipped from a cool, wet climate, thru a hot, dry climate, to a hot, humid climate over 3,000 miles of concrete road." The 22 we owned was stored in Las Vegas for three years (considerably hotter) and trailered over 12,000 miles in the 3 years we owned it and may more miles before we owned it--although it was a far simpler boat--had none of the problems that my 255 has. There are only two or three of the mulitiple problems due to sealants improperly used on nylon fittings--which I doubt are related to travel or temperatures.

Going into the quality control issues of other boats don't belong in this thread.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Bob, You're the one who's holdin' this cat. I'm just lookin' at a picture.

John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, John, Tim, et al.-

I'm sorry to have brought the equality control over to this thread.

My connection is that design changes are sometimes the result of this chain:

1. the profit motive
2. control of assembly costs
3. assembly process modification
4. design changes to expedite #3
5. change in the quality of the finished product

I'm sorry if it looks as if my glass is half empty.

It's just sad to see so many problems recently.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
acgetz

City/Region: Omaha
State or Province: NE
Vessel Name: C-Doggie
Photos: C-Doggie
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow up, I just noticed that E.Q Harbor Services in Oak Harbor, WA is advertising all of the new 22' cruisers that they have coming in as having "molded interiors". Has the factory said anything about the changes on this site?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. And I sure would like to hear from Jeff Messmer, and Les too.

acgetz wrote:
As a follow up, I just noticed that E.Q Harbor Services in Oak Harbor, WA is advertising all of the new 22' cruisers that they have coming in as having "molded interiors". Has the factory said anything about the changes on this site?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Alasgun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Design change to the 22 cruiser Reply with quote

If this if factual info, could it be that they are just trying to keep up with the cruisers. Cape Cruisers that is? Mike on Huda Thunkit Question
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I don't want to rock the boat here but would like to add some info from the other side. Having had a Cape Cruiser for 5 months now I think I can comment on the molded in liner.

In my opinion it is a great improvement. The cockpit floor is always dry and flat. It makes the cockpit look much more finished and I would guess makes the aft section of the boat more ridged. When stepping from the cabin into the cockpit you can tell there is a slight difference in height, maybe 1.5". But it is definitely not a step up into the cockpit.

The molded in liner does have some drawbacks as have been discussed here, but it also has some advantages. You have a nice molded floor. There are less things that the factory can mess up since they only have to get it right once when they make the mold. The interior is much quieter underway. The interior doesn't creek or moan. I would also guess that the strength of the boat is increased. This added strength may also help eliminate cabin resonations from the engine. I know my boat has none. I can barely here the engine at cruise.

As to quality control issues with C-Dorys I think this will improve with time. They just recently lost half of their long time employees. It will take them time to get the new employees trained properly in the many different aspects of building a boat.

I'm not here to stir the waters. Just thought my opinion might have some value since the CC and CD are so simular.

Bill
Alasgun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Design changes to the 22 cruiser Reply with quote

That's interesting, I was sure they had lost 1/2 their good people the year they made my boat (2004) Mike on Huda Thunkit Laughing
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see it at the SBS this year. A quieter ride is a huge plus, at idle my cabin vibrates a bit much for my taste, but so did my palmer and it had a molded interior. I'm not sure if strength is an issue since, I've never heard of a Cdory having problems in that respect, although I'm sure it might add a little. But I would like to see the new interior as to my mind it is an improvement although I know many will disagree. I would love a flat foor inside the cabin. If they do go this route and can retrofit, I would probably go for it.

Sark
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutty Sark wrote:
I would love a flat foor inside the cabin. If they do go this route and can retrofit, I would probably go for it.

Sark

Sark- If the flat floor is all you really want out of the existing boat, a 1/2"-5/8" sheet of plywood tapered at the edges slightly and perhaps with some rib support athwardships would be an easy weekend project. I'd coat it with epoxy to water proof it, and then glue indoor/outdoor carpet (maybe Ozite) to it for a basic finish, then lay plush carpet over it during use.

Can you live with the decrease in height of the cabin? I'm just 6' 0" (was years ago, anyway) and barely fit in the cabin now.

General Question for All- If the new interior has a raised flat floor, will ALL new boats have the raised cabin (High Top), or will anyone who's over about 5' 9" have to order a High Top to stand up inside?

Joe.
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe-

Interesting idea!! I fish alot and tend to track fish guts, scales etc in, so I wouldn't want to glue the carpet down, it would need to be romovable to clean it and get it smelling ok for the family trips. But that could be something worth thinking about. Or if Cdory does the molded interior maybe I could just get a section of the floor and glue that in. I don't know how much heght you would lose , but it shouldn't be more than 2 inches at most. I'm only 5'10" and have the high top anyway. hadn't really thought about doing anything myself, but food for thought. Thanks

Sark
CHardy

City/Region: occoquan
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C Hardy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: new design Reply with quote

As a new CD dory 22 owner (pick her up next week), I considered waiting until spring for the 07 boat and 07 honda...until I confirmed with the factory that they were changing the boat. I just sold my 2003 24 Sea Ray Sundancer...do not want the same thing...so - bought a new 2006 CD. (I also got a great deal).

I am sure that the new design has many improvements, but from the pictures I have seen, they are not what I wanted.

Happy to be a member of this group! All of you have been very helpful, generous, and friendly.

Chris

I'll update my profile nexgt week, once I name her.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard as a fellow owner, Chris! From another "gentleman biker" (R1100RT). Thumbs Up

Best wishes,
Jim B.

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris - glad to have you aboard as a new owner. Hope to see you in the water some day, but only if you make it to the west side of the country.
________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: