The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Homemade Insulation Coating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
therrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Homemade Insulation Coating Reply with quote

I've been reading the tread on the ceramic insulation coating and reviewed nearly all the information available on the Mascoat Web site regarding their product, Delta T Marine. It seems that a similar coating can be made by mixing an acrylic paint binder with ceramic micro balloons; 15% binder to 85% balloons. For those of us who are on a budget, it might be a way to go. Seems as though about $50 worth of a gallon of paint (ultra-deep-base) and micro-balloons would do a Classic or Angler.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I'll start experimenting soon with making up the coating. I'd appreciate any considered input.

Thanks,

Tom
richard m stratton

City/Region: Beaux Arts
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: ceramic insulation coating - now available from ACS Reply with quote

Hi,

I sold the first pail of ceramic insulation coating to a C-Brat owner in Longview, WA while I was the mascoat distributor for the west coast. We produce our own version in Seattle. If you're interested we can work out arrangements with purchasing through Seattle Marine with their shipyard cost of $45/gallon to C-Brat members. They also sell in gallons.

There may be some value with the additives. But I've only heard of non-productive results and the challenge of achieving the same concentration of beads. It's certainly possibly the mix may work well enough to prevent condensation as you only need to raise the surface temp by 5F above the dewpoint. However, having seen first hand how difficult it is to build the real thing by someone with 8 years of experience, it's hard not to be skeptical of the DIY.

Regards,

Dick Stratton
Beaux Arts, WA
RichardS@CoatingSolution.com

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently applied the new product Richard of Advanced Coating Solutions is endorsing on our c-dory last month. I can say that it went on very well and after applying some latex paint as a finish coat in the same color, looks much better inside than it did previously.

While I cannot directly compare the original Mascoat with Richards new product, I can say that his coating seems of very high quality and has adhered well in our short time with it. We applied it to the cabin sides and ceiling, berth walls and ceiling, anchor well and inside the sponson compartments. With 2 coats, I would estimate the coating to be around 1/8th of an inch.

Hopefully with Richards product, Hypervent, Wallace heater, and Fans, we can battle the condensation and keep the moisture at bay.

WIll post some photos once the entire project is complete. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to read a response to this old, old fiber - not quite a thread...

As I'm finally back on the boat extension project again, I'm pleased to hear of another resource for insulating paint. I'll check out your Web site and consider giving it a whirl.

Thanks, Richard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: