View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chubby Bunny

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jenny G
Photos: Jenny G
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Are expensive coolers better Reply with quote

After seeing those neat cooler racks on some newer 22's at the Sequim Bay gathering, I bought one and would like to install it this weekend. Of course, my next purchase will be a cooler that fits its dimensions (~100 quarts, I think). I've noticed that coolers vary significantly in price, with "marine" and "super cold" models commanding a HUGE premium that would require one to not buy a couple hundred blocks of ice to make the expensive cooler less expensive in the long run.

So, for all you cooler buyers out there, did you contemplate an expensive cooler and why did you or didn't you buy it? Also, if you bought an expensive cooler, would you buy it again?

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased both the Igloo Marine coolers, and the Coleman Ultracold coolers. I really like the Igloo because of the positive latch to keep it closed, and some of the smaller things like the tie-down points, and the clean uncluttered insides, uniform space dimensions. But the Colemans do work well. As far as efficiency, I think they are pretty similar. There are a lot of field tests on the internet, testing both of them. Most of the feedback on the ultracold is pretty positive. You can always go the next step and buy the top of the line Icey-Tek. I know we all would be happy with those, if we could just afford them. I think if you knew you were going to make them a lifetime cooler purchase and wanted the best, they would be worth the massively extra money. Check the field tests on the internet. There is a lot of data there. Also some tips on how to keep your cold stuff cold. How to pack, dry ice, stuff like that.
lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chubby Bunny, how about a picture of the rack?
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lloyds---- how was your last trip? I bit the bullet (around $99) and bought the smallest size Icey-tek for my 16', not just for cooling purposes, but also for use as an interior step and also an extra seat, this has proven very helpful when climbing in and out at various style docks, also works well for a third person seat. The construction quality is good and solid. I really can't tell though if it cools any better than some of the other coolers, the melt rate seems about the same, but it is also in the sun part of the time.
Rich--
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, Saltwater Sportsman had a test of ultra-expensive coolers: $500 plus! In fact, some had options of molded handles vs. rope and the price was $120 for the molded ones!

However, their test showed that some of the coolers kept ice for over 10 days. No, we didn't buy one.

We have a pair of Coleman Extreme Marine Ultra's and love them for both boating and camping.

Here's a trick we posted earlier this year. You can freeze your catch by alternating layers of ice/rock salt and double-bagged fish and keep it frozen for a week (our longest) by "sweetening" the ice/rock salt when needed.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the difference between the "marine" one's and the regular one's is in it's "ice performance". It's mainly a functional thing. From what I've noticed is the marine ones have a flat top which may or may not be important in your boating needs. Also it seemed like the top was more rigid on the marine and would hold up to being used as a step. The regular ones have kind of a rounded top and seem to flex too much to stand on. The marine ones can be rigged with a cusion pretty easily. The regular ones cannot. Anyway if none of the functional aspects of the marine ones will benefit you then I wouldn't waste the money.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: coolers in general - We have had Rubbermaid and other molded cooler manufacterers in our area of the state for many decades. One thing a consumer needs to understand in today's cutthroat discount arena is that, even the SAME brand name and model of cooler may be of varying quality depending upon the demands of the particular retailer's contract.

As an example, an acquaintance of mine working for a company that shoots Coleman coolers told me that the same model,name, number Coleman cooler you get from Wal-Mart now will have less insulation and material in it than the same model,name, number Coleman cooler purchased from a non-price demand retailer. She said the demands of the big discount retailer's contracts are so severe that some models of Coleman cooler purchased at Wal-Mart now have no insulation in the lid at all! ...and less insulation elsewhere to boot.

So, I 'd do a little thumping and hefting and comparing at purchase time.

Also, I have noted that most of the 'cube' coolers, which would seem to make great cockpit seats, actually have a disclaimer in the fine print stating that you cannot use it as a seat or step. Maybe just a liability thing, but maybe they're not strong enough.

John
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently researching the Icey-Tech coolers and will probably purchase one before next season. They have a lot of different sizes so what I am trying to do is calculate how many blocks of ice would fit inside each one versus what our requirements are. As I have done with other coolers, I would also consider buying one a bit oversized so that I could fabricate a rigid foam liner for it to increase its insulating capacity. For us, refrigeration is the limiting factor on how long we can cruise. And we need some ice in reserve to enable us to cool some fish on the trip home turn. We just and so made it twelve days last summer. If one is not out that long or can replenish part way through a cruise, I wouldn't necessarily spring for and Icey-Tech. But that is not our situation.
Al

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never pay $400-$600 for a cooler unless my demands on it were so severe that I absolutely had to have the extra margin of time it provided.

A dual voltage boat refrigerator only costs about $1000, although the larger ones with a real freezer are more. My Sea Ray has a dual voltage refrigerator, and with shore power, it's just like home.

I will tell you how to get your ice to last longer, though.

Here on Shasta Lake, the summertime temperatures are routinely 105-115 degrees.

I place a 50-60 quart coler inside a 120 quart one, with the frozen perishables inside the small one with block ice or dry ice. Then the extra space inside the larger cooler is filled with block ice and drinks. Next we lay a beach towel or two on top of the larger, outer. cooler, and make sure it's provided with shade. The evaporating water helps cool it a lot, at least in our dry climate.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more detail on our choice of marine coolers over "standard" models.

A few years ago we bought a new Coleman marine cooler before an extended camping trip to Wyoming's Bighorn Mts. and the Snowy Range west of Laramie. We also took our tried-and-tried non-marine Coleman top of the line that we lioked a lot.

To our surprise, the marine model exhibited twice the ice-life than the standard model. Both were in the truck next to each other, so there were no dissimilar factors.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich: The last trip was great. Put about a hundred hours on the honda up near the NE corner of vancouver island. Caught quite a few fish. Weird season, they are showing up late everywhere. Same for up there. But the weather was terrific. I have never known anyone who got around as much as you do. You must never sit still.

I would really like to have an icey-tech. Someday, after I purchase the 22 or 25. But I have no doubt they are of the highest quality and durability. And you don't have to worry about stepping on one.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny this thread would come up right after we did a test on our new cooler this past weekend. We have an Igloo Maxcold (5 day cooler) bought at Walmart for less than 30 dollars. We left for North Carolina early Friday morning using two, 2 litre bottles of water frozen solid. We left the cooler in the truck the whole time we were there. As of Sunday morning the bottles still had plenty of ice left and the pop and yogurt were still cold. We decided to leave it one more day and Monday night we brought it in and the ice had finally melted and the 1 pop and 1 yogurt were still cold.........so concludes the test. It didn't last 5 days, but I was very happy with the way it kept our food cold for that length of time. I am not sure how much the larger capacity ones cost but for less than 30, ours worked beyond our expectations. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Donna

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportsman's Warehouse is making a cooler under their brand name that is meant to compete with Icy-Teks. I was in a new store in Federal Way a few months ago and they had some on display next to the Icey Teks. I almost bought one, be they didn't have the size that I wanted. The sales person said that they were the first and only store to stock them at that time, but he thought that they would be in all of the stores at some point.

As for companys compromising their products to meet the requirements of big box stores- Evil or Very Mad

Joe, Really like your double cooler idea. Thumbs Up

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010

Last edited by Robbi on Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have been using for close to 10 years.

The Igloo CoolMate - you can click on it for more info

Don’t remember what we paid for it, seems like it was around $125. It operates on 12v dc or 120v ac with the converter that came with it. I have seen them in stores for less than $100.

We pre cool it in the house the day before going out and put a few baggies of ice, from our icemaker for using in our drinks. The baggies of ice also help it maintain a colder temperature on hot days. As the ice melts, we also have ice water to drink. It will keep things cold indefinitely but the ice will only last four to five days, depending on outside temperature. The ice also helps keep the cooler temperature down at night because I unplug it at night. Don’t want to run my battery down too far. Not sure how long a good deep cycle battery, fully charged will run the cooler. I have always unplugged it after five to six hours when I have not run the engine.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, one of the links I followed looking for Icey-Tek coolers says they are no longer in production, but recommended another brand:

http://www.alltackle.com/icey_tek_fish_coolers.htm

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: