The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Inflatable boat on a TC24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FRED & DEB

City/Region: EMMAUS
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Not Yet Named
Photos: Fred & Deb - TC24
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:
Your idea about ramps sounds pretty darn good but I think I'll wait until you or someone else actually builds one and lets me know how it works first. I'm not a great builder and I'm not sure that my dog is ever going to learn to use a swaying ramp at his age. By the way I saw the photo of your old dog Shadow. He was sure a great looking fella. I'm sure you miss him.
I did borrow an inflatable some time ago an found that it fit perfectly between my engines. I only have to tether it to the hand rails, hop in, and cast off. No problemo. I'm still concerned that an inflatable will be to heavy for me to handle since I definitely need one with a solid floor, so my dogs nails don't puncture it. The Alaska tender looks to be the lightest I have ever seen but I'm not sure if they offer a solid floor. I'm going to call them next week and find out.
Thanks again guys for all your comments.

FRED & DEB
TomCat 24
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:
Thank you for your interest in our travels. We have used the truck with camper and boat combination for much of our traveling the past 4+ years. When we stay in a place for any lenght of time we simply drop off the camper, put the boat in the water and then use the truck to run around in. This has been the best combination we've come up with so far and have towed the TC over 38,000 miles. In Mexico I would anchor the TC some 50 yards out in the Pacific and live in the camper just off the beach within easy sight of eachother.
We've had the Country Coach for approx 2 years but have decided to sell it because of the problems you mentioned plus we like to go places where it just can't go. We also found out that staying in RV resorts is just not our style. Sometimes too many toys can be a burden as I'm sure you found out too.
We maybe in the Keys later this winter and are considering going over to the Abacos early in the spring. This is why we need to make getting on and off our boat more dog friendly. I would appreciate any additional comments you or anyone else reading this thread has on traveling with an inflatable tender.
Hope this info is interesting and helpful to you.

FRED & DEB
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Hope this info is interesting and helpful to you.>>

Indeed, Fred & Deb, and thank you for taking the time to write. At a point in our lives where accumulating more stuff has less importance, I am looking for an easily workable RV/C-Dory solution. I loved our big coaches, but I love the C-Dory even more... so, you make some choices. We have spent up to a month at a time in Mexico in the coach; looking forward to more of that in the boat.

Perhaps we'll see you in the Keys this winter? Our plan is to head that direction after the first of the year. Just last night, our discussion turned towards the Sea of Cortez. Decisions, decisions... I just want to take the time to enjoy and explore the places we go. Very Happy

Best wishes,
Jim B.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although we have a small dog currently, we have done a lot of traveling with large dogs (60 to 130 lbs). Of course the younger the better for behavior modification...My father built an "ultalight" ramp, almost entirely of 1/8" door skins, with epoxy saturation. There were 1/2 rails for the "I" section on the sides, (the sides were about 6" high, 3" above and 3" below the 14" wide part) (sorry I don't think I have an available photo digitalized) and cleats of 1x1 for the dog's traction--we later added some light weight "Ozite" carpet. This was about 14" wide, and 8' long--weight about 25 lbs. Our lab could easily climb from an inflatable up to the side of the boat--about a 45 degree angle (higher freeboard than a C Dory or Tom cat). We also used this same ramp as a "Passarelle" off the stern of the boat--and we as well as motor bikes went over it regularly for 4 years.

Most recently we have used the "pet step"--which weighs 18lbs and was linked above. We used it off the stern of the C Dory 22--it also works off the stern of the TC 255. We use an inflatable--but had kept a 6' 7" Bombard--and given the 8' to Jeff who purchased the C Dory22--mistake on our part--and we are now looking for a larger light weight inflatable.

High on our list are the air floor boats. Probably we will go with the Zodiac Zoom 8'8" or a comperable size Achillies LSI series (we like the Hypralon better than the PVC). I single handed on this trip, while Marie drove to met me. The inflatable was on the cabin top aft of the air conditioner. Even with my back problems it was easy to roll it onto the foredeck and inflat it there. Slid it over the side railings. I took Marie ashore and had to deflate and store the inflatable alone. I pulled the bow onto the Armstrong bracket and started deflating and pulling into the cockpit. I rolled it in the cockpit easily, and used the Garhart davit to hoist it on top of the genset box in the cockpit for the trip home--rather than putting it back on the roof. We may put a third mounting location for hte davit so it can be used to hoist items onto the roof--since the new dinghy will be closer to 55 lbs/vs the 35 lb we have now.

The dog can easily step form the the Armstrong bracket to the dinghy bow which fits between the engines--be sure you get a dinghy which is narrow enough in the bow to fit between the engines, so the dog can get in easily.

In summary--two options--gang plank--self made or pet step to the beach or dinghy along side. Second option is a dinghy which comes up to the stern and dog steps into the dinghy. May require a box or ice chest as a "step" to get over the transom.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out today that West Marine has some 2005 of the High pressure floor "285" inflatables--both in PVC and Hypalon at a good discount. These are smaller tubes (16" vs 18") and narrower beam (4' 11" vs 5' 3") than the 2006 models.

So we purchased a 2005 Hypalon 9'4" inflatable with the High Pressure Air floor--weight total is about 68 lbs. However one can separate the floor and seats to reduce the weight more--and we will carry it in the cockpit much of the time--and perhaps mount our davit to hoist it onto the cabin roof if needed.

With a large dog, I would consider a carpet on the floor of the inflatable--we have used "ozite" in the past--water drains out easily.
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori Ann wrote:
fishbob, which Alaska tender do you have? And is the motor mount easily removed and reinstalled? Reason I ask is I assume you would carry the boat upside down on the cabin roof, and you would want to remove the motor mount to avoid scratching, etc. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks,
Warren

I have the 7'10" tender. And yes - I take the motor mount off when the inflatable goes on the cabin roof upside down. The motor mount pops off pretty easily.

FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: inflatable Reply with quote

I just returned from a fantastic road trip through the Smokey Mountain on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Fall foliage was absolutely spectacular this year and I suggest the ride to anyone who loves scenic drives.
While down there I spoke to a friend who suggested that I install a small electric motor on the TomCat and use it exclusively to back unto the beach (stern first) thus saving my props and main engines from harm. MY dog can easily jump on and off the boat using the dive platform without the need for a ramp or dingy. I don't know if this will work but I do think it has great potential.
I am still afraid that my dogs nails will tear a soft bottom inflatable and that a hard bottom is too heavy for me to handle. I also think that a davit will add too much weight to the stern of the my boat.
I guess there is no easy solution but if anyone has any experience with an electric motor for this application I could sure use some input.
Also, I am curious if anyone is planning to be in the Florida Keys or the Bahamas this winter. We hope to go down later in the winter and stay cruise for a while.

FRED & DEB Shocked
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see the Bahamas thread for potential plans.

I use a 46 lb trolling motor for a 12 foot skiff--It would fit fine on the bracket which I use to keep my dinghy motor on--and which fits into the bracket of the TC 255 swim ladder.

As for dog claws in a dinghy--use ozite carpet cut to fit the bottom of the inflatable--if you use a high pressure floor or the slat bottom inflatable. We had 2 labs crawling in and out of the RIB daily x 3 years and no serious damage to the pontoon of the Avon inflatable. There is minimal surface screatching

Backing to the beach works in sand or a bank which is deep. The dog still has to get up the height of the swim platfrom--and you may need the pet step or other ramp for that (see previous posts).
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred and Deb,

We are planing to be in Florida just after the first of the year. Plan to cruise the Gulf side down to the Keys, and possible stay for a Bahamas crossing, in late winter. Would love to be able to spent some time cruising with you. We had the TomCat Cygnet, we visited with you in Richfield, Utah at the KOA, a few years ago.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob of Thataway: Thanks for your input about getting my doggie on and off the TomCat. I will definitely look into ozite carpert if we go the inflatable route. I reread the previous posts about using a ramp off the stern and I too believe that could be a very workable in the right weather conditions. I am, however, getting very concerned that we may need a larger boat to carry all this stuff or find a way to teach him to relieve himself while on the boat. I guess if it was easy; everybody would be doing it.
Brent; Hi and thanks for the heads up. Of course we remember you and Dixie, as well as your son, who flagged us down while towing our TC through Utah and made our meeting possible. We would love to cruise with you in Florida or the Bahamas. Last year we rented a place with a slip in Marathon Key for 5 months. This gave us an opportunity to cruise and fish in some really terrifiic waters. We have not made any definite plans for this winter but are open to suggestions. This is a really great area and the everglades and 10,000 islands are just an hours ride (35 miles) in a Tom Cat. Your time table sounds very doable for us too. I have never traveled with another TomCat before which could make it even more special. I hope we can put something together.

FRED
Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Tom Cat inflateable kayak made by Aire. It is rugged stable and you could shoot some rapids and play with it in the waves on the ocean. Then deflate it and stick it in a box or bag. They are self bailing and you can find them for about $400. I was wondering how many kayaks and how much helium it would take to float over the waker?
phil
Here where I got mine:
http://www.gravityplay.com/aireindex.htm
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred & Deb,

The Everglades 10,000 Islands areas are both places we plan to spend a lot of time. There are a couple of C-Brats in the Naples area, that should be able to give us more info. What were the particulars on the accommodations at Marathon Key. Did you rent something on shore, and a slip? Lets keep in touch.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred and Deb,
We carried the Pet step and an inflatable on the C Dory 22--so boat size is not critical--but where you put it is... We carried the step on top of a dry box and an ice box in the cockpit--the inflatable on the roof, deflated, or upside down over the radar inflated. With the small dog we just need the inflatable, so are not carrying the Pet Step on the TC 255.
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess with enough helium you wouldn't need an inflatable. Just fill up the TomCat and fly off. I will take a look at the Aire models; thanks.
We rented a house on the water on Marathon that had a 50' dock just outside the rear patio door. We were only 3 blocks from the ocean and 3 blocks from the gulf so getting around was an absolute piece of cake. The Gulf stream was only 4-15 miles off shore all winter so you didn't have to go very far for some really great fishing. Also,the beaches around the southwestern coast of the everglades are spectacular. A must see.
The roof of a TomCat is much shorter than a 22 cruiser so I'm not sure that an inflatable will be able to fit up there? Sad

FRED
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider the option of a "Sunbrella" eyeblow/awning--foreward, with supports. This gets away from some of the green house effect of the TC 24. Also you can put part of the weight of the inflatable on a rack or bimini aft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: