The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Inflatable boat on a TC24
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FRED & DEB

City/Region: EMMAUS
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Not Yet Named
Photos: Fred & Deb - TC24
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Inflatable boat on a TC24 Reply with quote

We've been thinking about another extended trip on our TC24 but as our dog; Bowie is getting older, the need for an inflatable boat becomes more of a necessity so we can get him to shore to do his business. The problem is where to keep the inflatable, while it's inflated, on the TomCat. I have radar on the already crowded roof, which compounds this problem.
I am hoping that someone has already figured this out or has a better plan than we've been able to come up with.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

FRED & DEB
TomCat 24
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred and Deb - Have you seen the pics of what Brent and Dixie did on their TC 255? They put a sort of "rack" for the dinghy that holds it aft, over the motors and motorwell. Go to "photos" and search for "Discovery" s albums. It is shown near the end of the photos.

John
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:
Thanks so much for the heads up. I found the photo of Discovery and the dingy rack that you spoke of. I think Brent's idea is terrific and that the basic design may work with my TC24.
One concern that comes to mind, however is how to get that darn inflatable up there from the water. Most of them are fairly heavy and definitely awkward which opens up a whole new set of problems. Oh well; I guess if cruising was easy everybody would be doing it.
I guess we should have gotten a smaller dog. Laughing

FRED & DEB
TomCat 24
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred and Deb-

Do you have to go ashore in a dinghy?

Royal and Lucky have a great floating ramp that could be used to get the dog ashore if you're in calm fresh water and can beach the boat. It has floats on the bottom, a curved "hooking lip" for the gunnel, and is made of something light. It would be much easier to store than a dinghy.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe has a good idea there. You know there are 3-4 different "doggy ramps" you can get that were initially designed for duck hunters that can be removably attachet to the side or stern. Someone had a ramp for a 22 that fit across the cockpit as a seat when not in use, but could be hooked up to the bow or stern for landing.

Also, although I would not like the blocked view, there are several hinged dinghy mounts that mount to the swim platform. You just engage the hooks where the dinghy touches the platform, then crank the dinghy up to vertical with a small winch.

John
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a LINK to a photo of the ramp drjohn71a mentions in the second paragraph. There are two more photos before and two after this one of the ramp in action.

I'll try to find a photo of the other ramp, but it may have been lost with the closing of the C-Dog site. ....Can't find it, but here's a LINK to a similar product.

Joe.
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Alaska series inflatable on the roof. If fits nicely under the radar arch, only weighs about 45 lbs. Pretty easy to lift on and off. See my photo gallery for a couple of views.

http://www.alaskaseries.com/270TDS.htm

FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Joe:
Thanks so much for your thoughts on using a ramp to get my dog on and off the boat. I never thought about using a ramp but it may work under ideal conditions. I do worry, however, about having to back up to the shore each time and position the ramp on the swim platform to get off the boat. I don't think my dog can jump well enough to exit either side of the cockpit; thus, the stern is the best option. Also, Bowie weighs about 130lbs and is not what you would consider a great jumper.
Fishbob, your inflatable looks very interesting and the weight is something I think I could handle. Does it have a solid floor and will it hold 2 adults and an adult size dog? My radar arch is much is much lower than yours but I think I can work around that. Do you take an engine with the inflatable and if so where do you store it when not in use. Are you happy with it's overall performance?
Thanks guys for all your input. I really appreciate your help.
FRED and DEB
TomCat 24
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRED AND DEB-

TELL US A LITTLE MORE ABOUT YOUR FRIEND BOWIE, PLEASE!

BOWIE AT THE VALLEY OF THE GODS

JOE.
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Joe:
Thanks or your interest in my buddy Bowie. He's a 10 year old Bouvier who loves to travel by boat and RV. He's very low maintenance and incredibly loyal. We have traveled around the USA and Mexico several times and he has been a real joy and great companion. We spend 2 months in Maine on the TomCat several months on Lake Powell as well as many smaller excursions on lakes and rivers all over the country. We spent last winter in the Florida Keys and had an absolute blast. I also took the TC24 to Mexico several times for 4-5 months each visit.
Last winter he injured himself jumping out of the boat and it took almost 5 months to get him back in shape. That is why I'm looking into a better way to get him on and off the TC.
Thanks again for your interest and helpful suggestions.
Bye bye for now.

FRED & DEB

That was pretty neat how you got his picture on your last post. Laughing
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Fred and Deb, for the low-down on Bowie! Sounds like you truly have a loyal companion there! Nice collection of travels, too. Makes that TomCat into a real home away from home!

I've got a 135 lb Great Dane (Misty) who's only 14 months old, so have the same kind of problem. Her predecessor, Shadow, who eventually got up to 175 lbs, or so, could get in from the dock over the gunnel and onto a large 120 quart cooler with carpet glued to its top as an intermediary step.

I think what we really need is a hinged ramp with one side in the cockpit, and the other extending out over the gunnel or transom to the dock or beach. Maybe a two-part ramp would be more adaptable, however.

Would have to be at least four feet long on the short end, and probably eight feet or more to reach the beach on the other. Would have to be made of something really light to keep the overall weight down, and would have to be stored on the roof or across the engine well.

If the boat were designed only for the dog, the short section could be lead up to a swiveling platform over the engine well, and the long section mounted with it's end on the swivel to reach over the gunnel and to the dock or beach, much like a ladder in a ladder fire truck!

One question: If you go the dinghy route, how will you get Bowie into the dinghy? Don't you still need some kind of ramp for that?

Love 'dem puppies!

Joe.
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at aluminum/plywood scaffold boards.

7 foot by 19 inches-weight 32 pounds and have hooks on both ends or a 6footer at 28 pounds.

7-0 @ $105.00.
6-0 @ $100.00. C-Otter.

P.S. you may be able to find all aluminum, less weight.
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRED & DEB wrote:

Fishbob, your inflatable looks very interesting and the weight is something I think I could handle. Does it have a solid floor and will it hold 2 adults and an adult size dog? My radar arch is much is much lower than yours but I think I can work around that. Do you take an engine with the inflatable and if so where do you store it when not in use. Are you happy with it's overall performance?

1 - It has an inflatable floor.
2 - It should hold 2 adults and a dog. Not sure about a dog that big, though.
3 - I don't have an engine yet. It is rated for 2 Hp, but I plan to get an electric trolling motor - which I can store in the deck box.
4 - So far, I have paddled around in it, no great distances. No problems to date.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishbob, which Alaska tender do you have? And is the motor mount easily removed and reinstalled? Reason I ask is I assume you would carry the boat upside down on the cabin roof, and you would want to remove the motor mount to avoid scratching, etc. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred and Deb,

Not intending to drift off from the original topic of this thread, but I'm sure a bunch of us out here would love to hear more about your travels. When you've done the Keys or Mexico for extended times, have you split the time between your RV (truck camper or Country Coach) and the boat, or just one over the other?

We used to travel with an American Coach and a Corsair trimaran, and found we had to drive separate so we had another vehicle to run around with when we got somewhere. Trying to launch at many ramps with a 40' coach was also a major chore. How are you handling this situation with your CC and the TomCat?

It's always a pleasure to hear how folks are using their boats. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: