The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

latest word on engine size for CD22
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A contrary view. I visited Tom's Outboards in Olympia Washington a couple weeks back. They're an OMC(Bombard) dealer as well as honda(I think). This shop is a high volume operation that specializes in rebuilds(in-house machining). I asked for a quote for the 90ETEC. With new controls and rigging it was just over 10 grand before sales tax(about 8 %). As an afterthought I asked about rebuilding my Johnson 70. About $1800. Throw in a new VRO @ $350 and carbs rebuild/synch-n-link for another $200 or so and I've got an as new outboard for under $2500. I've also got over $8000 earning interest(5.6 %(FDIC) in CDs). Johnson 70 weighs 250#. Etec 90 weighs 325#. The obvious downsides are warranty and fuel economy. My Navman 3100 is showing me about 2.25 m.p.g. statute with Adeline heavily loaded(typical). But I've got about $450/year (CDs) to make up the difference. I'm guessing that this isn't going to be a popular option and am waiting for someone to shoot holes in it. So Fire Away !!!

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: transom/stern weight: I've been wondering if anyone has tried placing their batteries forward, say in the space under the sink? My 2 gel cell batteries are very heavy and the new Honda 90, even though they've reduced the weight, is still much heavier than my current Johnson 70. What about wire length, ventilation, etc.? It might help weight balancing to have this weight forward and lower? Mike.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Adeline: Your option makes perfect sense if the case of your motor is relatively free of corrosion. Unfortunately mine is not. The motor has low hours but the salt water and air have really done a number on it and I've already had to replace several parts. Plus I feel guilty at the marina with my cloud of blue smoke when I turn her over. But I like your thinking and admire your financial savvy! Mike.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg S

Yes, you're relatively stern heavy, but so are a lot of C-Dory 22's. The broad, flat stern portion of the hull generally handles it well. Not much of your weight can be moved, except for the batteries.

Watch your fuel mileage and how the stern handles when you shut down the big engine quickly. Does the wave from your stern catch up with you and come into the engine well?

Best and simplest cure is to not carry any more fuel than you have to for the trip you're taking plus a reasonable reserve. (Dusty's Golden Rule.)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of having a rebuilt for that kind of money, why not look for a used 70 or 90 Johnson some place away from salt (midwest). I have a 87 Johnson 90 VRO which runs like a top, never missed a beat. The book price on it is $600. However they will give me $1,200 on a trade. It 's only 300# and gets 2.5 to 3 mpg.

I see them listed in the local paper now and than. In this country they are only used for three or four months a year. C-Otter

P.S I have an insulated board across the motorwell which keep the noise at an decent level.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Otter

I had the exact same engine, right down to the year model. Traded it in with 625 freshwater hours on it for a Yamaha 4S 90 EFI.

Got $1200 for the used engine, some commercial fisherman from Bodega Bay snapped it up within a week.

Always ran like a top, once it started up, smoked a bit, and got warmed up!

Joe.
CHardy

City/Region: occoquan
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C Hardy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: more explanations from factory Reply with quote

For interested owners, see weight and speed limitations...

"...when it came to the option of a 115 HP motor then it is weight driven on what will work and what will not.

We will not approve the use of a motor larger than 115 HP for the 22. The 22 hull was not designed to go much over 30 mph.

The Suzuki 115 is 416 lbs. This is the most weight that should go on the back of a 22."

Thanks to all,

Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: