The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/08 - 10/10 - Lake Shasta Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be able to make the Lake Shasta gathering. Is there a post with the details about where people are meeting?
Thanks,
Steve
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve- Start by reading the first six pages of this thread where we've already done the preliminary discussion and planning. I'll be summarizing the plans so far and asking if there are any additions or changes necessary to the events scheduled so far. I just got done writing a 1 1/2 hour response to a question about mooring and need a little break, but should be able to do that today. Be sure click on and sign up on the list at the top of the home page! Welcome Aboard!!! Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Shasta Gathering-Summary and Checklist

As promised, I'm going to summarize what we've planned for the Lake Shasta get-together so as to have everybody check out the details and be sure the plan is agreeable and workable. While I have read over all the posts above and my PM (Private Messages), some details may be missing or in need of correction. Let me know and I will correct what follows so that it can be used as a guide for all.

First of all, the lake is currently 96 feet down, but very usable.
The big inconvenience is walking from the full lake level parking lots down to the marina, although you can park on the island that has emerged in the middle of the Bridge Bay Resort area and eliminate most of the climbing. There's still a lot of water left in the lake, with the main body still very big, wide, and the arms still 20 miles long. The water temperature is currently 72 degrees, suitably warm for swimming. To view the lake's current condition, see my album at the left for pictures.

Secondly, as Pat Anderson has said above a few pages back in regard to these gathering formats, it is best to leave them somewhat informal and allow for a lot of individual choices. With that in mind, we can review our plans.

The basic dates are for Friday-Sunday, Oct 8-10. The E.Q. Gang, Less, Shelly, Kathy and Bill are renting a Stargazer houseboat from Jones Valley Resort for the week of Oct. 3-10, and will be in attendance over the weekend. Bill and Dana with Da Nag in tow will Friday night or Saturday morning from Sequim. I'll be around during the week, and will be looking for a good beach site for a BBQ dinner for Saturday night, among other things.

Other attendees will include: Imacunada, C-Bill, Nancy H, and seabran. I will assume we'll see most of you Friday night or Saturday morning.

Friday night we'll have dinner at 7 pm at the Bridge Bay Resort Restaurant, The Whale's Tale, for those who are interested. Please let me know if you'll be eating with us so that I can make the appropriate reservations. Dinners run about $12-$20. So far we have-

Sea Wolf- Joe and Cathy
C-Bill- Bill Ferking
Bill and Dana, tentative (no problem if unable to make it Friday night!)

Marina slips may be rented for $20 a night and include covered slips, bathrooms, showers, and limited shore power (bring a long extension cord), etc. The resort has a store, gas dock, snack bar, the restaurant, a motel, swimming pool, and boat and houseboat rentals. The slip fee includes boat launching and trailer parking, which is otherwise $10/day. I have the following slip reservations:

C-Bill Friday and Saturday

Nancy H Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Campground reservations can be made at 1-887-444-6777 or

www.shastalakecamping.com

However, please be aware that shore camping doesn't require a permit, and most of the facilities are fairly empty at this time of year and available on a first come basis. . It's also a long way up to the campgrounds and "facilities". Some of the campgrounds are already closed for the year.

Here's what I would consider a better idea for camping:

I'd bring my boat, camp on shore, and bring any of the following I thought were necessary in addition to those facilities on my boat---a portable table, BBQ, tent, chairs, etc. Shore camping is free and no camping permit is required. Bring an old piece of carpet to cushion your hull against the course sand. You may also want to bring some long lines and even a stake or two and hammer to secure the boat, although unless a storm blows in, the wind at night is usually very light. I plan on either going back to the marina during the week or sleeping at anchor during the night, another option.

YOU WILL NEED A CAMPFIRE PERMIT wherever you build one. I'll get one for Saturday night that will cover the BBQ. If you'll be camping out on your own, pick one up at the Visitor's Center or the Forrest Service Office off Wonderland Blvd. on the East side of !-5 about 3 miles south of the Bridge Bay turnoff. The locations are on the frontage road to the east and south side of the Wonderland Blvd Exit. The ranger Station address is 14225 Holiday (frontage) Rd., and the Visitor's Center is across the street facing the freeway. Hours for both are 8 am to 4:30 pm. The cost is free.

Saturday morning and early afternoon are open to cruising and for touring the lake.

Shasta Lake Caverns, about two miles up the McCloud Arm of the lake, offers tours of the majestic limestone caverns. They have a dock on the east side of the lake under the "Grey Rocks", where you can tie up your boat and go on the tour. A bus takes you about 500 hundred feet in elevation up the mountain where you enter the caverns with your tour guide. They feature water made formations of stalactites and stalagmites and underground streams magnificent as the famous Carlsbad Caverns. They are lighted, and walking shoes (not sandals) are recommended. It's a constant 72 degrees inside the caverns year-round, so a light jacket or long pants may be advisable. The tour takes about 2 hours. I feel this would be a fun experience together with our C-Dory friends. Tours start at 10am, and 12pm. The cost is $18 for adults and $9 for children under 12. Bring your camera! Check it out at

www.lakeshastacaverns.com

Saturday afternoon about 2 o'clock and later we'll get together for a social followed by a BBQ at about 5 pm. We'll announce just where this will be Friday night, as the changing lake level will not allow us to pick out the best beach location until the week of the gathering.

Bring your own drinks, snacks, and chairs to the afternoon affair. We'll start the BBQ about 4:30 or so and try to have dinner between 5-6 with the idea that we will dry to finish up most activities by about 7:30 or so in order that those who have to travel back to the marina can do so before dark, as the lake lacks lighted landmarks at night and can be difficult to find your way about. The moon is new on the 14th, so won't be much help, either.

For the BBQ, I'll bring a 30 x 50 inch stainless grill and 40 lbs of charcoal, which will serve as a basis for a campfire afterward. We'll add some driftwood for light, flames, and sparking embers.

Bring your own meat to BBQ, and a dish to share, potluck style. If you'll PM me a line, I'll add your name to the following so that we can balance the menu out reasonably:

Drinks----- BYOB and soft drinks

Snacks---- Bring something for yourselves and to share.

Meat C-Bill is bringing fresh yellowtail and tuna to share.Sea
Wolf will bring steaks for all.

Salad---- Volunteer: _________________________

Vegetable--- Volunteer: _________________________

Dessert--- Volunteer: C-Bill will bring a couple of dozen cookies

Sunday morning we will let informal structure rule, with an 11 o'clock check out time from the marina and considering that some folks have to leave fairly for the trip home.

PM me or respond here and I'll make corrections and add names in to keep this plan up to date and accurate. Thanks, Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:08 am; edited 12 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOPKICK will bring dessert, TOPKICK and Bill Tower are the same boat., we will arrive Friday afternoon.
Looking forward to our first outing with the C-Brats.

Bill & Elfie
TOPKICK
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Bill and Dana with Da Nag in tow will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday from Sequim.

Plans have changed a bit for us...we'll be staying up in WA for most of the week after Sequim. We're still semi-seriously looking at property up there, and also want to spend a couple days in Victoria.

We'll probably be at Shasta early Saturday morning, but we might make it by Friday night - depends on when we leave WA, and how much driving Dana G will let me get away with. I'm one of those "drive for hours" kinda guys - she likes to keep the trip legs shorter.

Joe - don't toss our names in for the Friday night reservation, but if we make it in time, we'll crash the party if there's room. Do you have a cell number you can PM me with? If not, I'll call the restaraunt if it looks like we might be able to make it, and see if there's additional room.

You can sign us up for a dessert for Saturday night.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sign us up for the Friday night dinner.

Bill & Elfie
TOPKICK
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topkick-All taken care of!

Da Nag- No problem with the reservations-I just need a good ball park figure!

Thanks, Joe.
Slow-N-Easy

City/Region: Crescent City, California
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Slow-N-Easy
Photos: Slow-N-Easy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say that the Slow-N-Easy crew has to pull out. It is not often that things come up and change plans, but they do. We will be busy with taking care of Kim's Mom who going down hill with Emphysema. She has had a cold for 2 months and now developed shingles. We are going to miss meeting you all. Hope that you have a good time and the weather holds.

Bill

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill- Sorry to hear that you, Kim, Darlene, and Shelby won't be able to make it. We all hope that Kim's mom pulls through all right. My mon's in a rehabilitation hospital too, so I know what you're going through. Maybe next year! Take care and hope to see all of you soon! Joe and rest of the Lake Shasta gang.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Brats-

Has everyone going to the Lake Shasta gig checked in with me regarding the "Plan" details listed a few posts above? It's only a week and a half away and I'm trying to tie down the specifics as much as possible. Send me a PM or just answer with a post right here if you will, please.

Are there any more of you out there that would like to make the event?

Let me know ASAP!!!

Thanks, Joe.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
At this point I am not sure if I will make it to Shasta. I should be able to let you know this weekend.
Steve
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

We won't be able to make it to the Lake Shasta outing, Family emergency.

Sorry
Bill & Elfie
TOPKICK

Posted by TOPKICK
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and Elfie- Sorry to hear that yu won't be able to make it. Maybe next year! Joe.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Shasta C-Brats:

It's less than a week to the gig, so I want to be sure everybody's still on board and finds the plan for the weekend acceptable and we're all on the same page, so to speak. We've lost several people, but I've changed the outline to reflect that.

I have the reservations at the marina made, etc. I've decided to furnish steaks to everyone at the BBQ. C-Bill is also bringing Yellowtail and other fresh tuna, as well as cookies for desert. Seabaran is bringing a salad. So while some have agreed to furnish specific dishes at the dinner Saturday night, there are others I haven't heard from recently. I'd like confirmation from Immacunada and Nancy H. Hope everybody's looking forward to the get-together.

Here's the plan as it now stands:

First of all, the lake is currently 96 feet down, but very usable.
The big inconvenience is walking from the full lake level parking lots down to the marina, although you can park on the island that has emerged in the middle of the Bridge Bay Resort area and eliminate most of the climbing. There's still a lot of water left in the lake, with the main body still very big, wide, and the arms still 20 miles long. The water temperature is currently 72 degrees, suitably warm for swimming. To view the lake's current condition, see my album at the left for pictures.

Secondly, as Pat Anderson has said above a few pages back in regard to these gathering formats, it is best to leave them somewhat informal and allow for a lot of individual choices. With that in mind, we can review our plans.

The basic dates are for Friday-Sunday, Oct 8-10. The E.Q. Gang, Less, Shelly, Kathy and Bill are renting a Stargazer houseboat from Jones Valley Resort for the week of Oct. 3-10, and will be in attendance over the weekend. Bill and Dana with Da Nag are house-hunting in Port Angeles and won't be aable to make it. I'll be around during the week, and will be looking for a good beach site for a BBQ dinner for Saturday night, among other things.

Other attendees will include: C-Bill, Nancy H, and seabran. I will assume we'll see most of you Friday night or Saturday morning.

Friday night we'll have dinner at 7 pm at the Bridge Bay Resort Restaurant, The Whale's Tale, for those who are interested. Please let me know if you'll be eating with us so that I can make the appropriate reservations. Dinners run about $12-$20. So far we have-

Sea Wolf- Joe and Cathy
C-Bill- Bill Ferking
seabran- Steve and 2 guests

Marina slips may be rented for $20 a night and include covered slips, bathrooms, showers, and limited shore power (bring a long extension cord), etc. The resort has a store, gas dock, snack bar, the restaurant, a motel, swimming pool, and boat and houseboat rentals. The slip fee includes boat launching and trailer parking, which is otherwise $10/day. I have the following slip reservations:

C-Bill Friday and Saturday

seabran- Friday and Saturday

Nancy H Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Campground reservations can be made at 1-887-444-6777 or

www.shastalakecamping.com

However, please be aware that shore camping doesn't require a permit, and most of the facilities are fairly empty at this time of year and available on a first come basis. . It's also a long way up to the campgrounds and "facilities". Some of the campgrounds are already closed for the year.

Here's what I would consider a better idea for camping:

I'd bring my boat, camp on shore, and bring any of the following I thought were necessary in addition to those facilities on my boat---a portable table, BBQ, tent, chairs, etc. Shore camping is free and no camping permit is required. Bring an old piece of carpet to cushion your hull against the course sand. You may also want to bring some long lines and even a stake or two and hammer to secure the boat, although unless a storm blows in, the wind at night is usually very light. I plan on either going back to the marina during the week or sleeping at anchor during the night, another option.

YOU WILL NEED A CAMPFIRE PERMIT wherever you build one. I have one for Saturday night that will cover the BBQ. If you'll be camping out on your own, pick one up at the Visitor's Center or the Forrest Service Office off Wonderland Blvd. on the East side of !-5 about 3 miles south of the Bridge Bay turnoff. The locations are on the frontage road to the east and south side of the Wonderland Blvd Exit. The ranger Station address is 14225 Holiday (frontage) Rd., and the Visitor's Center is across the street facing the freeway. Hours for both are 8 am to 4:30 pm. The cost is free.

Saturday morning and early afternoon are open to cruising and for touring the lake.

Shasta Lake Caverns, about two miles up the McCloud Arm of the lake, offers tours of the majestic limestone caverns. They have a dock on the east side of the lake under the "Grey Rocks", where you can tie up your boat and go on the tour. A bus takes you about 500 hundred feet in elevation up the mountain where you enter the caverns with your tour guide. They feature water made formations of stalactites and stalagmites and underground streams magnificent as the famous Carlsbad Caverns. They are lighted, and walking shoes (not sandals) are recommended. It's a constant 72 degrees inside the caverns year-round, so a light jacket or long pants may be advisable. The tour takes about 2 hours. I feel this would be a fun experience together with our C-Dory friends, but is optional, of course. Tours start at 10am, and 12pm. The cost is $18 for adults and $9 for children under 12. Bring your camera! Check it out at

www.lakeshastacaverns.com

Saturday afternoon about 2 o'clock and later we'll get together for a social followed by a BBQ at about 5 pm. We'll announce just where this will be Friday night, as the changing lake level will not allow us to pick out the best beach location until the week of the gathering.

Bring your own drinks, snacks, and chairs to the afternoon affair. We'll start the BBQ about 3:30 or so and try to have dinner between 5-6 with the idea that we will dry to finish up most activities by about 7 or so in order that those who have to travel back to the marina can do so before dark, as the lake lacks lighted landmarks at night and can be difficult to find your way about. The moon is new later on the 14th, so won't be much help, either.

For the BBQ, I'll bring a 30 x 50 inch stainless grill and 40 lbs of charcoal, which will serve as a basis for a campfire afterward. We'll add some driftwood for light, flames, and sparkling embers.

Bring a dish to share, potluck style. If you'll PM me a line, I'll add your name to the following so that we can balance the menu out reasonably:

Drinks----- BYOB and soft drinks

Snacks---- Bring something for yourselves and to share.

Meat------- C-Bill is bringing fresh yellowtail and tuna to share.
Sea Wolf will bring steaks for all.

Salad------ seabran

Vegetable--- Volunteer: _________________________

Dessert--- Volunteer: C-Bill will bring a couple of dozen cookies

Sunday morning we will let informal structure rule, consiodering an 11 o'clock check out time from the marina and also that some folks have to leave fairly early for the trip home.

PM me or respond here and I'll make corrections and add names in to keep this plan up to date and accurate. Thanks, Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking in to say that I've heard from Steve (seabran) who will be arriving Friday night for dinner with his parents, who will be staying in the motel for the weekend. Steve will rent a slip for Friday and Saturday night at the marina. They will bring a salad to the BBQ Saturday night.

C-Bill checked in earlier and will be eating with us at the restraunt Friday night and bringing fresh tuna and yellowtail as well as cookies to the BBQ Saturday.

I'll bring steaks to the BBQ for all.

Just down to a final check in for Immacunada and Nancy H before the weekend.

Loking forward to meeting you all! Joe and Cathy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: