The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/08 - 10/10 - Lake Shasta Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd like to welcome Bill Tower of Roseville, California, with his new 22 ft Cruiser to the Lake Shasta group. Hope you're enjoying your new boat, Bill. We'll look forward to meeting you in person in October. Do you have any questions about the get-together or your new boat that we could help you with? Welcome aboard!!! Joe and the gang.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the crew from the Lynn Marie isn't going to make the Lake Shasta trip this year. Judy has wanted to go back up to the lodge in Canada where I go trout fishing with a bunch of guys every spring and this year several other couples are going to make the trip. We're looking forward to the other type of boating that involves a row boat, oars. and a fly rod not to mention 70 degree days and frosty high 20 degree nights with a fire in the wood stove.

After my trip back from the Blakely Island gathering I don't feel quite so bad about this since I was lucky enough to run into Les. As we were strapping down the boat at the ramp early Friday morning he pulled up with some folks to sea trial a boat and only had a minute to say hello and again apologize for having to cancel a trip to Cannon Beach to use our guest house for an anniversary getaway for he and his wife Shelly. To many boats to get ready for the likes of us to get out on the water with. After we got the boat ready to travel we stopped off at E.Q. for some spare parts and talked with Kathy, Les's partner. She said they had been putting in 65 plus hour weeks and were still short handed. Guess it's hard to find enough good help when your located where they are and you won't just settle for a couple of warm bodies. Bottom line is they both looked over worked and could really use a chance to get away from all that running a small marine business has involved.

After leaving Coronet Bay Judy and I talked about our change of plans and felt we had made the right decission about Canada. Lake Shasta and the houseboat getaway for the crew at E.Q. has been an annual thing for those folks to leave the phones, leave the inguireies, leave the boats, and just go hide on the lake with their families and dogs and so one less C-Dory running around their vacation didn't seem like such a bad thing to us.
Maybe a different time we'll be able to make it to a gathering that involves going south

Tim and Judy

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Sure sorry that I missed both you and Judy, Mike and Kay this time around. Had a family problem that was high priority and messed up my schedule. Next time!!

Dusty (Les Sr.)

C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this travel tip has been previously mentioned. I've been using the traveled portion between Eugene, OR and Klamath Falls. I like it because there is less traffic, good roads, and supposed to be shorter.

A retired friend of mine (old truck driver) suggested this route when traveling to locations north of Eugene and south of Weed CA. He tells me that truck drivers detour from I-5 at Weed and follow SR-97 thru Klamath Falls and north to Route 58 then over the hill to Eugene and North I-5 from there, or vis-a-vis. This may save some miles or at best your sanity for not having to deal with traffic through all the twist and turns on I-5 south of Eugene and the Siskiyou's. Wink

Please keep this quiet - the least traffic, the better it is!

I finally did the actual numbers and it turns out that the route from Eugene through K-Fall's to Weed is 240 miles versus

Eugene straight through to Weed on I-5 is 236 miles.

I'll take through K-Falls for lite traffic & good roads.

Bill

Last edited by C-Bill on Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Bill wrote:
I like it because there is less traffic, good roads, and supposed to be shorter.

Interesting...I think I'll try that next time, thanks for the tip.

RE distance - looking at a map, it looks a little shorter. However, I just plugged it into my Garmin routing software, it calculated the distances as being identical - 239 miles.

Aside from missing the hills, this probably also helps avoid traffic around the southern Oregon cities on I-5. Usually, they're not a problem, but I've been slowed up a bit when going through them at commute times.

Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken that route several times. It may be shorter (slightly) but I don't think it is any quicker. The speed limit on the Oregon portion of the road is 55, not that anyone goes 55. The benefit of going thru K.Falls is there is less hills to deal with. Thats a big plus when pulling a trailer.
C-Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually make that run with the trucks @ around 65 mph. My trucker co-pilot sez they usually don't bother you at that speed. Anyway, it's a nice drive with the trailer in tow. Avoid those tire treads truckers leave behind, as they can do some real serious damage.

Bill

PS - I just came thru K Falls the night before last and the bug hatch was terrible just north of town. I don't hear well, but my wife said it sounded like it was raining hard! Take some window cleaning stuff!! Wink
C-Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf,

Has Lake Shasta dried up yet? How's the launch ramp look.

Bill
Da Nag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Bill wrote:

Has Lake Shasta dried up yet? How's the launch ramp look.

I was wondering about this as well...looked really low when I went by last week, but I don't know what "normal" is for this time of year.

RE the 97 shortcut - I took it both ways on my Langley trip. I like it for towing, but here's a tip - don't trust your GPS, head over to Eugene on 58. My GPS told me to keep heading north, and cut over at Salem. Beautiful drive, but much farther and slower, and you gain all the hills back.

Fortunately, that was on the way up, and I hadn't picked up the boat yet. On the way back, I cut over on 58 and all was fine. However, keep an eye out for those speed zones on 58 - I missed one, and a trooper whipped around and pulled me over for going 60 in a 45. Couldn't believe it...he let this Californian go with a warning...must have been the purdy boat. Laughing
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Bill Asked:

Has Lake Shasta dried up yet? How's the launch ramp look. (?)

The lake is down almost 90 feet from the full level, about 40 feet lower than this time last year. It's going down about half a foot each day, so should drop another 15 feet to 105 or so feet down by the October 8-10th gathering. This makes the treaks down to the marinas on foot a bit strenuous, but usually we just drive down to lower parking areas by the ramps and docks.

This leaves a lot of shoreline exposed, but the length of the arms of the lake and the sheer size of the place leaves much room to explore and cruise, especially now that school has started and the rush and crush of Labor Day is ending the busy season. The lower water level makes for some muddy shores here and there, but they'll scratch your boat bottom a lot less than the rocky ones more abundant at high water. We will be able to find areas of fine to course gravel to beach the boats as needed, but again, bring a section of old carpet to land your boat on if you have a "sensitive bottom". Moon

Currently the water temperature is 79-82 degrees, and the thermocline is down about 6-8 ft, so the water should be just about that warm in a month or so. By then our daytime temperatures should be down in the lower to mid 80's and the nights in the 55-60 range. Except for the "bathtub ring" of exposed shoreline, it's probably the most pleasant time of the year to camp out on the lake. Sure beats the summer's scorching days in the 100's.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and hope you can all make it as planned. We'll review the food and cruise plans in the next few weeks as the date grows nearer. Is there anyone else interested in this fall cruise? Joe.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question to those who have made the hi-way 97 "route".....We pull a heavy trailer down to the bay area 1 to 3 times a year and have heard about this route, but we have never taken it. How much of 97 is 2 lanes in each direction, and how much of it is divided? We can only pull about 45mph on some of the long grades on I-5, but I have to say that after seeing the results of mutiple semi runaways in the Siskiyous, I spend some energy bitting my nails on the descents, wondering what might be coming up behind us. Shocked A less intense route would be welcome. Thanks for any infor. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Run
I've pulled a heavy trailer down to CA and back a few times. The 97 Rt. is a better way to go. Less hills, less traffic. It is two lane most of the way and 55 mph until you get to CA. As for me, 55 is about all my old truck will do pulling the boat. Cry

Sea Wolf
We would like to make the Lake Shasta gathering. I have a brother in Sacramento I hope will come up and stay for the weekend. Since four adults is a tight fit for sleeping on a 22' cruiser, we will be looking for a camp site to pitch a tent. Can you recommend a spot?
This is still contingent on getting the time off work. Sad
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry- There are campgrounds all over the lake, with picnic tables and outdoor toilets, etc. There are also a few floating "SS Relief" stations placed strategically at major crossing points as well.

Because of the changing water level situation, where we will exactly camp/rendezvous may not be determinable until the lake reaches whatever water level it does by October 8th-10. However, the traffic levels at that time of year are such that finding campsites or simply making our/your own at a convenient shore are no problem.

You can still look at the types of facilities provided for guidance, however. I just tried the U. S. Forrest Service's Campground Reservation Service Provider and got a "not found" response!

You and anyone else who want information on camping can send me your address through the Private Mail service on this website, and I'll get brochures from the Visitor's Center and send it to you as well as find out what's up with their down website.

Looking forward to a great weekend in October with our C-Brat friends!!! Joe.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of 97, there's a neat little vista point not too far north of Weed - snapped up the following photo there on my way back.

C-Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill...

Very nice picture. Sorry to hear about your GPS. I thought those things never missed Shocked ! I'll stick with my trusty old map.

A tip: I like running with the truckers at night. I linger back far enough so as not to be a part of that Trooper stuff. The old diesel really pulls that C-Dory nice in the cool night air. Traffic is usually light except for the truck traffic. Also, that solunar table works for more than fish. It is also a good indicator as to when the deer will be active. Naturally, it isn't absolute, but test it with cattle. If its good fishing, its also time for all cattle to be up feeding and not laying around.

Thanks Sea Wolf.

See ya at Shasta!

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: