The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another New Couple
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Another New Couple Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
My wife and I are interested in getting a C Dory this Winter, but are debating which one - so I'm interested in hearing from the group. We live in Seattle, and are opposites as far as our perceived abilities on the water. I think the 19 Angler, or 22 Cruiser is the one, new with twin engines, my wife wants a used 16. I want to head out from Ballard and cruise to Port Townsend, then out to the open ocean, and down to Acapulco. My wife wants to cruise around Green Lake if its a calm day. So we both have different opinions about our nautical capabilities.
Point being - what can really be done in a 16 - i.e. as far as Puget Sound in concerned, and what are opinions between the 19 and 22 versions of the C Dory.
Our actual experience on the water is limited, we have sailed some, - and have agreed that a "powerboat" experience may be more towards an activity we would enjoy more. We have been looking for several months now, and are ready to make the plunge before the end of the year.
Comments ...???
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Everything sounded good until the part about open ocean and Acapulco! Reel yourself in a bit and realize that all the C-Dories are capable boats in their proper context. That would be inland waters and some off-shore in the right conditions.

Try to get as large a C-Dory as you can justify. It just broadens your cruising horizons and comfort level. Your wife will find some days on the Straits of Juan de Fuca are as smooth as Green lake, and a lot more fun. Good luck and Welcome.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Tom,

Everything sounded good until the part about open ocean and Acapulco! Reel yourself in a bit and realize that all the C-Dories are capable boats in their proper context. ...

Yeah, probably gonna need a couple jerry cans of fuel for that trip, huh? Wink

Now, if you're REALLY ambitious, you could TOW your C-Dory south to Acapulco... if your tow vehicle is up to the trip. Might be just the ticket when the cold and snow make their way into the frozen northland. Xmas Eek

(It was 90º here today, and gas was $2.11 on the water)

Tom, watch your weather window and see how compatible you two really are. If this isn't a troll, it reminds me of the guy who wanted to take a lightweight trailersailor across the Pacific. People have made epic voyages in less... with a LOT of luck.

tom&shan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a novice my concerns are issues like trailoring, a 16 seems to be easier to get in and out of boat ramps, a 22 might be a little daunting for my car and lack of experience. A 16 might be too small for Puget Sound, and maybe would limit me to Lake Washington? Is the 19 a happy medium? Would starting with a 16 and gaining experience with the area, trailers, boat ramps, and then moving up to a 22 be a ideal solution?
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your tow vehicle? You said "car", and most cars can't tow
much in the way of a boat. Most newer cars can't tow a 22, but
at maybe 4000lbs total, lots of smaller trucks, SUVs and the like can.

Mike
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Tom and Shan, I won't be a smart alec this time...

First thing you want to do is figure out how you will really use the boat. Are you going to overnight on it? Fish? Cruise? Sight-see? Then, unless you intend to change your tow vehicle, see what your tow rating is... then you'll have an idea of what weight/size range you will be in. Really, maneuvering any of these boats at the ramp is not daunting, as long as your tow vehicle is up for the task.

Then, before you go buy a boat, take a safe-boating class. Learn some basic Rules of the Road, navigation, and safety how-to stuff. Talk to people in the class to see how they are using their boats. Once you have some basics under your belt, re-evaluate how you intend to use a boat and start shopping around. This group can tell you all you want to know about C-Dorys... we love 'em! Some might even think we are a bit biased. Wink

When you've narrowed your selection, get on the different boats you are considering. This may be through demo rides at a dealer or by "walking the docks." Now, think about buying a boat. And when you do, USE IT. You have a WONDERFUL variety of water up your way, and a great boat will allow you to explore endlessly.

The size you ultimately select will depend on your budget, storage, tow vehicle, but most of all: how you intend to use the boat. 16, 19, 22, 25... all great boats. Here is some advice I gave to a couple with a child who were asking about a small trailerable sailboat (they are in an area without a lot of boats to go see)...

<<If location prevents you from getting aboard all these boats, try this little experiment: buy a couple tarps and go to your backyard. Step off an area 7x19 (or 17). Make most of that area less than stand-up height, and taper one end to a point. Put a couple cushions from your lawn furniture in your tarped off area. See what you have left for space. Put in a pail (as a stand-in for a porta-potty). Add a cooler. Now see what you have left for space. Set up a sprinkler nearby and turn it on. Now, stay in this area for 4 or 5 days. If this doesn't freak you (and your family) out, try showering from a hot water bottle with a couple towels hung to keep the neighbors from gawking at you. Still hanging in there? Now put the whole works on a see-saw. If you find this fun, then you're probably ready to go spend some money. Some of us actually enjoy this stuff... add in the actual sailing and the sight-seeing that you'll do around Lake Powell and the Sea of Cortez ( the PNW, the mountains, all those amazing places with water), and you'll see why some of us are willing to put up with the confined space of these small boats for the convenience of being able to haul them around.

It isn't for everyone, as the sale of used small boats with few hours on them proves. But for those who "get it", it sure beats being normal. I love being on the water. And, I like it easy. Of the boats you've narrowed it down to, "easy" became the main criteria for our selection. Your selection criteria will certainly be different from ours (or anyone else's). Good luck with the search... it can be part of the adventure.>>

Good luck with this new endeavor!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
tom&shan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as trailering a C Dory - my car is a Volvo Wagon Turbo - so I think it could handle a 16 or 19 , not sure about a 22.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow my 19 with a Toyota Seqouia. I really dont feel the load. I can give you a test ride in my boat in early November, probably Lake Washington.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom&shan – last year Terri and I was exactly where you are now. I did not know what all I would do with the boat until I got it and started using it.

Terri wanted a 16 foot cruiser and I wanted a larger boat. I thought a 19 would be a good compromise. We ended up the 16 Cruiser and I really like it, but it is too small in my opinion, however Terri thinks it is just right.

It is not too small for normal conditions in the Puget Sound area. I have gone from Olympia to Bellingham to Port Angeles in it and have never felt un-comfortable in it. However, I have never been in conditions, in the sound where the waves were more than four feet with a 20+ knot wind.

We have spent as long as four days and nights camping in the boat, on lakes and the sound. I have added many things and made modification to the boat to give us the amenities of a larger boat, but space is a limiting factor. It is easy to overload when you are going out for several days.

Terri likes lake cruising more than the sound, but I prefer the sound and Columbia River. If most of your time will be spent on the sound, the 22 would probably be best. If most of your time will be on small lakes, (Green Lake size) a canoe would be best. If most of your time will be on the larger lakes (Riffe Lake or Lake Chelan size lakes), then the 16, 19, or 22 will all work with the 16 or 19 being your best bet.

Because of the newness of the 19, you can get an older 22 for the same price or less then the 19. With your tow vehicle the 16 is probably going to be your best bet, unless you are going to stay in the Puget Sound area, then maybe the 19 will be OK, but I would rule out the 22. One other option would be to get an older 22 footer and with the money you save, get a dependable older pickup as your tow vehicle.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
mikeporterinmd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:
As far as trailering a C Dory - my car is a Volvo Wagon Turbo - so I think it could handle a 16 or 19 , not sure about a 22.

Your owners manual will tell you what you can tow.

You can look up boat weights, trailer weights on the web. Gas is 6lbs/gallon,
water 7. Also, don't forget the motor weight.

If, like most cars, you are limited to 1500lbs, you'd be hard pressed to tow
a 16' angler, with a hull weight of 850. Some guesses:

Rough numbers:

850+800 (trailer)+250 (motor-what goes on a 16?)+180(gas)+70(water)+100 (stuff) =
2200lb or so. I didn't bother to add accurately - it doesn't matter much unless
you are right around this number in towing cap.

If you aren't going far, you could get an old truck. Might be cheaper
than a slip.

Mike
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Trailers and Boats Reply with quote

I'll add my two cents worth of experience to this discussion....

I got my CD-22 in March, 2006, and absolutely love it! Among the reasons is this: I can easily handle it all by myself. (It's nice to have my "first mate" along, but I treat her as a guest...not a deckhand! I usually say to her, when we get to the ramp, "Walk down to the water and enjoy yourself. I can handle this by myself; in fact, I prefer to to do so. I'll have the boat ready to push off in a few minutes.")

My CD-22 sits on a tandem axle EZ Loader. I can--and do--literally float the boat on and off the trailer (see photos). It couldn't be easier.

I estimate that the boat and trailer (which officially weighs 1125#, but has an added ramp) typically weigh ca. 4200#. While I can--and have-- towed and launched it with my Toyota Tacoma PU (rated to tow 5000#), it is a marginal arrangement, even for towing down the highway, and I think could leave one stranded on some ramps.

So I use my Chevy Silverado pickup, which handles the boat and trailer easily, "like a dream."
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys- I tow my 16 footer with a non-turbo Volvo 240 4 cylinder wagon. I have added IPD heavy dutysprings. It does an adequate job. We are planning a Lake Washington Cruise on Dec. 16 and most likely will stop at Seattle Sea Ray on Lake Union. You, and any other C-Dory wannabees can spend the day wth us. If you want a little ride on our boat befor that, give me a call at 425 301-1238.

As for going to Mexico from Ballard, you might have to rondezvous with the USS Calusahatchee or Allagasha somewhere along the route.. Just kidding!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
tom&shan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all you C-Brats...Thanks for the response to my husbands qestions. Now for my side of the story. I am willing to venture past Green Lake but as we are learning I would feel more comfortable on smaller inland lakes working up to Puget Sound. The only way I'm going to Acapulco is in a 747. I would also like to find a course on water safety and rules.

I checked the towing weight for our car and it is 1100lbs w/o trailer brakes and 3300lbs w/ brakes.

We did inquire on the 16' C-Dory at Shaw Island that was listed on Craig's list but have not heard back from the seller. Maybe it is alreay gone. It seemed a reasonable price $6000.00...perhaps it has a hole in it!!!!

We are both relatively inexperienced but have a strong desire to get on the water. I grew up on a lake so have some boating capabilities but not on big water. whole different ball game.

I have so many questions it's hard to know where to begin. For starteres we may run up to Oak Harbor tomorrow just to look at the boats they have in stock. It appears they sell only new C-Dorys. I think we should try find a used boat, for budget reasons.

Your feedback has been great.

The other half of Tom&Shan,

Shannon Greenway

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:
I would also like to find a course on water safety and rules.

As a starting point I'd contact your local Coast Guard auxiliary and ask them about the boating courses they offer. Good luck on your hunt. I see I now have more competition on the search for a used C-Dory in WA. State. Wink

mikeporterinmd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:

We did inquire on the 16' C-Dory at Shaw Island that was listed on Craig's list but have not heard back from the seller. Maybe it is alreay gone. It seemed a reasonable price $6000.00...perhaps it has a hole in it!!!!

Elsewhere in this site, this boat is noted as sold. Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: