The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruise Planning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E&B - That sounds great, and is something I hope to spmeday do. But it's kind of difficult for us poor working folks to get the time such a trip deserves. One of these days, though, I really want to do the river(s) from the ocean to Idaho and back.

About the "full monty". I do believe the only place along the river that is acceptable is Rooster Rock State Park. Or maybe B~C's favorite volleyball beach.

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El & Bill

I'm very interested in the Columbia Cruise from Lewiston to the mouth. I need to know some details. How long do you plan on taking to do it? I don't know if my wife will be able to get the time off work yet, is it possible to safely navigate the locks by myself in case she can't come along? I've never been through the locks before.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are thinking of roughly three weeks for the trip from Lewiston to the sea. No detailed plans yet, but we do have the charts. We will do detailed plans closer to departure. Also, looking for suggestions from folks who have done the trip. Stevej and Richard have done the trip. Richard took a week but suggests it would be a more interesting and relaxed trip with more time committed.
Both said the hardest part will likely be Bonneville to Hood, due to the winds. They suggest patience and early morning starts -- hide when the wind is up, have a brew, and wait. So -- seems best to come down the river without too rigorous a schedule, and let the weather (and whim) determine the timing -- assuming a person has ample free time.
We have not locked the dams on the Columbia, but have done plenty of locks elsewhere. No question it is more difficult alone, but certainly can be done safely. Any comments about the Columbia locks from those of you who have done them?

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: CRUISE PLANNING Reply with quote

El and Bill,
You might want to read RIVER HORSE by William Least-Heat-Moon. He went through some of the area you hope to go.

Also, What happen to your Cruise page? It seems to be caught in some dead horse town in Nevada.

Man from Nantucket
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred --
Good idea -- we read River Horse quite awhile ago, and need to reread the Columbia portion.

Yep -- caught in Nelson -- a web of doctor appointments following up the annual checkup -- something called a CRP Factor -- El calls it the crap detector. Anyway, we'll soon by posting something on Lake Mojave.

Hope to be back up your way summer of '05, and looking forward to re-meeting some of those Maniacs and hopefully, this time, you two also.
PlanB

City/Region: Lake St. Louis, MO
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan B
Photos: Plan B (Duane and Joanne)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,
The Ponca, IA to St. Louis Leg sounds great. Keep me in the loop, ad plans are made.
Duane and Joane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: