The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Problem with Wiper Coverage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: WA
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Problem with Wiper Coverage Reply with quote

I have a weird problem with wiper coverage on my new CD-25. On the port side window the wiper misses a 3"x2" (h x w) section in the bottom center portion of the sweep.

I originally believed the glass was distorted, however I verified with a machinist's rule that this was not the case. That leaves the wiper mechanism or the blade as the culprit. The motor is a AFI 1000 with pantographic arm.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? I tried bending the metal support for the blade a little to no effect. The manufacturer data sheet for the motor says nothing about vertical adjustments. And I don't have any documentation for the pantographic arm.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my wipers to the pantographic arm so I have played with them more than I normally would have. I think the only variable is in the arm itself and not really adjustable. It is either a weak spring that holds the tension against the window or a bad bent or distorted wiper blade in my opinion.
I also went inside the motor and re set the arc up one position to achieve a bigger arc of motion.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
seahooked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Is this spring you're referring to easy to locate? One way for me to troubleshoot this problem is to swap parts with the starboard window(providing things are easily removed and reinstalled).
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Ours does exactly the same thing on the port window. Since I don't sit over there, I haven't looked that closely at it, yet (don't tell Joan I wrote that Rolling Eyes ). She believes that the wiper blade is clipping the bottom of the window, causing the blade to rise up in that area. Sure could be. I know Hank Brooks reset the coverage/sweep inside the motor on his boat, too. That's on my "list", as well. And one of these days, I'm really gonna do that... really.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

seahooked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
It's bizarre that we're both seeing the same problem on the same port window. That certainly changes things as far as troubleshooting goes. My hull number is CD025143D606, built in April. I would assume that yours is close to mine.

I am sure that the wiper blade does not clip the bottom of the window. And your feedback makes me think that swapping parts with the starboard wiper may not help at all. Who knows, maybe we have some sort of alignment issue. I need to ponder about this one some more. Or another C-brat may have our answer.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any help from the factory here?? Comments, suggestions.
Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I custom ordered pantographic wiper blades on my CD25 "Sea Skipper" which the factory made standard thereafter. To improver coverage, I raised the wiper motors 1-1/2" and lengthened the arms so that the 80 degree sweep angle would cover more glass. Tried 100 degrees, but this required shorter wiper blades with less vertical coverage. Also machined aluminum adapters which center the blade vertically on the arm's pantographic pivot point and which also accept standard automotive blades (14" port & starboard & 11" center). Centering the blade on the pivot point keeps the blade vertical as it moves across the glass as opposed to the upper part of the blade tipping outwards at both ends of the stroke. The center & port wiper motors were adjusted to stop the blades at the port side of the window optimizing the view for the pilot. The end result is nearly complete coverage of the windows and cheap replacement wiper blades - picture in Sea Skipper album. But, only a perfectionist (nut) would take this much time & effort! The 100 degree stroke with shorter wiper blades is probably the best return on a persons time.

Regarding maintenance, I would suggest using some silicon grease between the splined shaft and arm to minimize corrosion which makes the arm very difficult to remove. There are two hex socket set screws 90 degrees apart holding the wiper arm to the shaft - make sure they are both tight. Also a small drop of oil on the arms spring tension pivot will help the rather weak spring keep the blade pressed against the glass.

On a related subject, has anyone tried Rainx on their windows? I've been reluctant to try it in salt water.

"Sea Skipper"
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Skipper wrote:

On a related subject, has anyone tried Rainx on their windows? I've been reluctant to try it in salt water.

When I had the 16' Cruiser, I used Rain X all the time so I wouldn't have to reach up to operate the manual wipers. With the 22', I keep forgetting to apply the Rain X (since I have electric wipers), although I always have Rain X on board.

P. S. Yes, my uses are usually in "salt water". (Works Great!)

C-Brat #16
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What timing for the Rain-X question. I used it for the very first time 2 weeks ago for the S. Barbara Seafood trip. Used it on the outside of the front windows, then also Rain-X FOG on the inside. The Rain-X on the outside keeps a pretty clear view even without wipers, but what blew me away was the sparkling clean wipe WITH the wipers! Wow. I know many out here swear by it. This product is now a permanent item on board!
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
seahooked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I just resolved the problem with my port wiper today.

As I stated previously, I was emphatic my wiper blade was not clipping the window frame. Even though Joan believed that was your problem. After 30 minutes of futzing around without any success I happened to turn on the wiper and watch the blade travel more carefully- and sure enough it clipped the frame.

I trimmed 1/8" from the end of the blade and the wiper work great!

Score: Joan (100 points); Chris (0)
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last spring I crossed south to north across LI Sound on my CD25 during a nor'easter with the wind out of the east at steady 35kts and higher gusts. Typical 8-10ft steep square waves with a short period on the starboard beam. Continual wind whipped spray every few moments as the boat rose to a crest and side slipped into each trough. The wipers (non pantograph) were useless. With the amount of spray I do not think any type of wiper could have worked. I had read, I think on the hull truth forum about a pacific northwest charter skipper who never used wipers. He used RainX. Before heading out on the referenced day, I cleaned the front and side windows with Windex and the a couple of coats of RainX on the outside front and side, nothing on the inside. The spray just sheeted off and visibility was great, considering. I shut off the wipers since they were useless in these conditions and the RainX was more than adequate. I highly recomend it for maintaining visibility in windward or beam on spray conditions.

Pete in NY
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear the trimming worked for you; solved our situation, too. Joan also picked up some RainX (that I haven't tried yet) for the outside and the fog version for the inside. From the sounds of other posts, that should help, too. We live in a windy area, so the spray is a constant pain in the butt on the windshields. We also keep a sprayer of Windex handy to spray on the window while we're running.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll like that combo Jim, that's what I did a couple of weeks ago. The wipers work extra good with it. A side effect -- the windows are very clear and seem to "sparkle" quite nice as well!!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would appreciate it, if some one would comment on how they changed the arc of the wipers.

I am using Rain-X as a result of a suggestion on this site--and in the 400 mile trip this week, had a good chance to evaluate the Rain X. It definately helped with the salt water. I suspect that one may have to apply it more often with salt water than with fresh however. There were times I used the windshield wipers (the Stb wiper is not making as much as an arc as the port (both Panographic 2006).

Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an AFI brand motor similar to mine ('03 -- but I don't have pantographics -- which are just different wiper arm mechanisms), it requires some disassembly to change the 'span' of the sweep. Remove the arm on the outside (probably hardest part), then remove motor assembly by unscrewing large nut on outside. Remove screws holding the plastic shell around the motor assembly and look inside, should see the various sweep settings and the one currently selected. Select next higher sweep. Might have to adjust the position of the wiper along the wiper arm to optimize with window area. Maybe others with this same wiper can correct me if wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: