View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcator

City/Region: Fletcher
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Donna Marie
Photos: Donna Marie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Different cook stove on new CD Reply with quote

I heard that they have changed to a new cook stove on the C-Dory. It is supposed to have one electric burner and one butane.

Anybody know what the brand name is so I research it?
Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a 2007 model CD22 at Stateamind Water Sports in St. Louis and it had a Kenyon single burner butane stove. I was told it was the new standard stove.

The 2006 model CD25 they had used the Wallas.

Jim
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the 2007 have for a heater?
Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat I saw at Stateamind did not have a heater but from various posts here I'm assuming that the factory will now do the install of a Webasto.

Barry on C-Cakes installed a Webasto and detailed the process with photos in his album. It did not seem like a terribly difficult job. I'm sure most owners and, certainly, all dealers could do it.

From the feedback, it seems that the combination of the Kenyon and the Webasto will give greater reliability than the Wallas. After reading all the comments on problems people have had with the Wallas, I doubt very much that I'd want one.

Jim
Scott Mathews
Dealer

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Puffin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to offer a little clarification the new standard cook top is the Kenyon butane model which in my opinion is a step up from the previous alcohol version. The 22 cruiser would get a one burner and the 25 would get a two burner. If you wanted to add heat then you would still go with the Wallas option which I have on my 25 C-Dory - C-Puffin and has worked for the past three years with no problems. There is not an option for the factory to install a Webasto system.

Lake Union Sea Ray Fife Location
Cell 206-790-7503
s.mathews@lakeunionsearay.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A personal opinion is that one stove I would not want on a C Dory is a butane/propane cartrege stove--which the Kenyon is. You have to carry small (7.8 oz gas cartreges--and worry about leakage both from the seals and if the cannister corrodes). Think explosion or fire from propane. How many boats with these stoves have a proper LPG sensor under the stove? How many take the stove outside of the cabin when not in use?

I think that the "problems" with the Wallas stoves is blown way out of proportion. I had a Wallas on the 22 and absolutely no probelms with it. The Wallas in the Tom Cat was not properly installed. I was walked thru the repair within a couple of minutes after the call was placed. It has worked perfectly since. One tends to hear about the problems, and not the successes on a site like this.

The only "combination" I know of is the Oringo combo electric/alcholol--but it is either electric or alcholol. It does not make much sense to put one separate burner of each alcholol and electric.

The Wallas costs 40 times what a Kenyon costs--and that may be a factor. But I am more than willing to pay for that safety. Plus one has a good heater, and none of the carbon monoxide/oxygen deprivation problems which might be encouraged by using an open flame LPG stove.
We would tend to not purchased a boat with a single burner==and definately not purchase a boat with a single burner of this type.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

As usual, very well stated. The Wallas on my 22 '89 hasn't missed a lick in a lot of years. I've had the Wallas on 4 other C-Dory 22's and they all worked fine. For heat I sure like the looks of the Webasto, but I still like propane if properly installed with outside remote tank for cooking. Lots of personal opinions about that.

Dusty
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob and Dusty. Although it sounds like the Wallas has been hit or miss with some, with ours, it has worked every time without fail (knock on wood). Love it for heating up the cabin, especially while blackmouth fishing out on the sound. Like it less for cooking, it's kinda slow but it will do.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Kenyon Stove Reply with quote

We use a single burner kenyon on our 22. It works like a dream- it is not installed we store it under the gally flat. the cannisters are stored in the port side plumbed locker with the drain open. No danger from a leak-on hot days you can cook outside in the cockpit. If you are frying something keeping the smell outside is a good idea. We also carry a standard round BBQ that uses propane.

Fred and Pat Red Lion, Pa.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a Wallas stove on Halcyon for six years. Since we have lived aboard more than half the time, and we have used the stove usually twice a day (for cooking and heating), that amounts to over 2,000 starts and uses.

We have just ordered a replacement Wallas. For the past year, the stove has been reluctant to start unless under shore power or engine on at high rpm. We could have some parts replaced (or cleaned) and she would undoubtedly continue to function well. But, with our liveaboard habits and often remote cruising, we want our systems to be as fail-safe and up-to-date as possible, so have reordered a new Wallas.

Just like replacing our Honda engines at over 2,000 hours, we believe our Wallas has given us good service for her lifetime and it is time for her to retire and be replaced with another (hopefully) as faithful a friend.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill - I am not interested in your old Wallas at this time. I don’t have a boat to put it on, but if you were interested in selling it, I bet there are C-Brats out there willing to buy it.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to buy their old Wallace for the right price Smile

I don't have a stove in the 27' and I have been wondering what I wanted to install. Mostly I think I would just use a propane BBQ mounted on the railing for cooking though. And the 27' has a Red Dot heater but that won't work while sleeping so...

james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a update, I had posted a week or so ago on my wallas problem that I was experiencing. I have come to the conclusion it was a low voltage problem. It seems to be working just fine now.

also I tried something the paper work that came with the stove suggested, and that is to add some (3-5%) iso/propyl (sp?) alcohol to the diesel if it has been sitting for a while.

James

colobear

City/Region: Denver
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got back from visiting our new grandson Very Happy Very Happy and I'm catching up on e-mails. I noticed Old Jim posted that I installed the Webasto in C-Cakes and I want to correct that. Les and his crew at EQ installed my Webasto and Kenyon single burner butane stove. They did a great job and deserve all the credit.

We are very happy with both the stove and heater.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patti and Barry,

Congrats. Grand kids are great fun. You can wind them up and hand them back to your kids. It's called parental revenge !!!

Merv & Kathy (we got 5 of 'em)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: