The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sound insulation for v-berth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Sound insulation for v-berth Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't really find an answer. I'm looking for something that can be spay or painted on to the v-berth walls and bottom to make it quieter. Hopefully something that isn't too heavy. I found this product

http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VB1X-1G&Category_Code=CASCADE

but it is black. Anyone know of something like this that is whit or cream colored? Has anyone else tried something that they like?

Thanks,
Bill
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, 'Sounds like that mat'l. is specifically designed for acoustic enclosures, so I wonder if it works on fiberglass.

As for me, I am planning on trying placing soft materials in the areas. That micro-foam sponge mattress padding worked on my motorhome bed which is directly over the rear diesel engine. I think sleeping bags, padding, etc., should reduce the sound bouncing around, but others disagree.

John
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornin' Bill -

You might look over this thread. I have seen the stuff that B~C used in his boat and it looks very good. He won't ever let me ride on his boat, and only lets me in the cockpit when aboard, so I don't know how it works other than him saying he is pleased with the insulation qualities. I think several others have tried his stuff, also.

Good luck -

Mike

Alasgun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Sound insulation for V berth Reply with quote

Go to the butt mall (Internet) with Mascoat.com and your search will be over. They have a water based, ceramic insulation that is sprayed on and appears very affordable. In a conversation I had with them, I was told they work with C-Dory and that some boats are having this applied at the factory, as an option I'm sure. Mike on Huda Thunkit
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses guys. I looked over that thread before but only payed attention to the insulation part of it. I missed the sound insulation part. I'm going to call the manufacturer and get some info.

Thanks,
Bill
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This product works pretty well. You might even be able to find it in white or cream color. Cheap too.

B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey yo, Mascoat makes both an insulation and a sound deadening goo. The sound deadening goo is black. I did not insulate or sound proof my v-berth as I had just carpeted it the year before. I did lay down a coat of the sound proofing under the galley and rear dinette seat on the rear cabin bulkhead. I also slathered a bunch on the transom, behind the fuel tank. Engine noise reduction was what I was after and I can't afford to repower with Suzuki's.

The sound proofing I used in the cabin was overcoated with the white insulation goo followed by a coat of interior house paint. I's been in place for a few years now, no complaints. The insulation/ house paint treatment was given to most of the cabin and the appearance is such that most people would never notice that I did anything.

Hell Mike, I didn't know you wanted a ride in my old tub, damn, no big screen TV, hot tub or sauna or any other cruise ship luxuries like you're used to Smile

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound insulation for v-berth Reply with quote

Best Day wrote:
Has anyone else tried something that they like?

Another brand on the market is QuiteCar. I purchased a gallon and tried it, not on the inside of my boat but inside the engine cover on my outboard. It is a thick paste, dries a dark grey and is heavy (I am guessing 15 lbs per gallon).

I took sound readings with a db meter at 1’, 3’, 6’ & 9’ feet from the engine before and after applying the paint. I did it at idle speed, in & out of gear and at 1500 rpm & 2500 rpm. I did the test with the boat on the trailer so I would not get any water or wind noise. Using a sound meter there was a measurable difference in the noise level but I could not tell the difference by ear. With extended cruising at speed, I think I notice a little less ringing in my ears after stopping, but conservation with someone on board is not any better.

One thing I noticed was at the captain’s chair, I got a higher reading on the meter with it facing the v-berth than with it facing the engine. Now, I did not take a reading facing the v-berth before applying QuiteCar so no comparing there.

Would I do it again? Maybe!
Was it worth it? Not sure!

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used light wieght foam pads--like back packing pads for both sound and heat insullation. They don't weight much, can be glued in place and then covered with an additional layer of vinly or pvc headliner material. That is what we will be using on the Tom Cat.

We find that all of the fiberglass boats which are bare hulls in side--get cold and condense in the winter, got hot, making sleeping difficult in the summer--the foam pads resolve the probelm--not expensive and easy to do. There is also a material we found in Alaska called "fish blanket" I think it is a PVC foam 5/8" thick. It is used between layers of fish and ice--don't even think of buying it used!--it is available in many marine hardware supply houses in 4 x8 foot sheets.

If you really want to knock down the sound--get the convuluted foam. I sold my house to a radio commercial voice over actor--and he converted part of the ham radio shack to a studio--it was absolutely "dead" inside and zero sound from the outside got in--he even had a suspended floor and ceilings....far more than is needed in a C Dory--but the materials were not too expensive--look under Sound booth supply.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
This product works pretty well. You might even be able to find it in white or cream color. Cheap too.

Ok, you guy's are a bunch of old farts with no sense of humor. Not even one Laughing I guess I better go work on my comedy routine some. Cry Wink
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: I resent that remark Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
Ok, you guy's are a bunch of old farts with no sense of humor. Not even one Laughing I guess I better go work on my comedy routine some. Cry Wink

Most of us are old farts WITH a sense of humor! Cool

The Corsair trimarans use a material called Frontrunner (often referred to as "mouse fur") that conforms to the curves, helps with condensation, and provides a bit of insulation. Kinda like a cross between cloth and carpet.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapbreaker,

I could not stop laughing!!! Thumbs Up

Julie
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an OLD FART who could use some sound insulation!

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff and Julie wrote:
Flapbreaker,

I could not stop laughing!!! Thumbs Up

Julie

I feel better now. Thanks for your support. Hug

Oh, ya and sorry to high jack this thread. Now back to the regularly scheduled topic. Beer
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker-

Just one more interruption......What about your handle?

A combination of flatulence and breaking wind?

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: