CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, You've got plenty of Money. Do it now! You've been on an Island too long! Neutral

Dun
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, an equalizer hitch should help out the sagging problem. I am wondering just what you are putting in those 'suitcases in the trunk'!

John
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really it depends on how much you tow... (how often) .... for short trips your single axle is fine... but I tow long distances and would not even consider towing with a single axle... even a flat tire is a major event...much less a bearing or worse.... dual axle not only spreds the weight but gives you towing safety...go for it..
I also had an equalizer hitch installed... it makes for much safer towing, plus it removes any bounce... I even think the brakes work much smoother now... I only have drum brakes on two wheels, but my next conversion will be to four wheel disk brakes...

Joel
SEA3PO
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred,

Just out of nosiness, I Googled around for a Ford Explorer Scout to see what the towing capacity might be. I couldn't find any such animal as an Explorer Scout, but all the new Explorers have a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. Your boat and trailer would surely weigh more than that. Mine came in at 3800 lbs and it didn't have full gas tanks at the time.

Chances are your tow vehicle just ain't got the moxie to haul your boat and trailer very far with good safety.

I haul mine with '95 4WD Dodge Ram. The trailer is a single axle without brakes. We are 360 miles from the water and if I drive carefully, we make it just fine. I store it in someone's yard for a dollar a day during the summer so I don't have to haul it over the mountains and back each time I want to go fishing. (With the price of gas as it is, it probably evens out with savings in not having to tow it each time.)

Pat
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Hi, Fred Reply with quote

A couple of thots, Fred...

1. When we were at Seneca Falls in September, you reported how difficult you found it to launch and retrieve your boat. I wondered at that...since mine couldn't be easier. I have not found a ramp yet (including Seneca Lake SP) where I was not able to simply float the boat off and on the trailer singlehandedly. My point: I think if you got a new/better trailer (rather than fixing up your old/existing one), life could be a lot easier and more pleasant for you!

2. $1000 sounds to me like a low bid! I spent $1200 replacing the four wheels and brakes on my trailer (= a tandem axle), including only $200 to a friend who provided the labor.

Happy holidays!
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I had the axle moved back. I will fix the sag of the tow vehicle. I do not have the money at this time to purchase either a new boat trailer, or a better tow vehicle. Seeing as the boat is stored for the winter, I do not have to deal with these issues til spring. I might fix the sag if it is not to much money.

We all have to remember that "a boat is a hole in the water where we pour money." I think that was J. P. Morgan.

Thank you for your advise.

Fred

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: