Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the docks I tie up to are anchored to the bottom with pilings. Avoiding rubbing the piling becomes a problem as the long fenders when tied at one end and hung vertically just slide off the piling. It seems an Orb style would roll away with the first motion of the boat. I usually secure the standard fender to the piling by passing the line through both ends of the fender and around the piling. This keeps the fender in a horizontal position right between the piling and the boat. Anyone got a better way or product to handle tieing alongside pilings?
Mike "Levity"
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill .......your kind of funny!

Chris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's needed here is a rub rail that expands with air pressure all along the boat from bow to stern, making it kinda like a rigid inflatable boat (RIB).

Probably have to be about six inches wide to provide the elastic expansion necessary to protect the boat.

Probably could be powered by an electric driven air compressor, which would also be useful for inflatables, swim toys, and blowing away glowing orbs in the middle of the night!

You're right, Bill-

"Honey, I think your late first husband doesn't like us sleeping together in his bed and in his house where you spent so much time together. I know he's haunting the house in the form of a evil glowing orb."

"Honey, I think your late first husband doesn't like us sleeping together in his bed and in his house where you spent so much time together. I know he's haunting the house in the form of a evil glowing bumper."

"Honey, I think your late first husband doesn't like us sleeping together in his bed and in his house where you spent so much time together. I know he's haunting the house in the form of a evil glowing fender."

"Honey, I think your late first husband doesn't like us sleeping together in his bed and in his house where you spent so much time together. I know he's haunting the house in the form of a evil glowing Scotchman."

"Honey, I think your late first husband doesn't like us sleeping together in his bed and in his house where you spent so much time together. I know he's haunting the house in the form of a evil glowing Hippity Hop."

Keep yer' orbs warmed up, it's Friday Night, ya' know!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: More Fenders Reply with quote

Dear C-Brats:

I just posted some new photos in my subalbum, Various Ideas. At the end of this subalbum, you will find a project involving three ideas: (1) Adding an 8" cleat (on each side) midships, allowing four fenders per side; (2) Storing five (!) 8" x 20" fenders in the transom; (3) adding two jam cleats on each side and using small (1/4") second lines that allow the fenders to be pulled up (and dropped) from the cockpit and helm.

Wayne McCown
oldgrowth

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: More Fenders Reply with quote

Wayne McCown wrote:
Dear C-Brats:

I just posted some new photos in my subalbum, Various Ideas. At the end of this subalbum, you will find a project involving three ideas: (1) Adding an 8" cleat (on each side) midships, allowing four fenders per side; (2) Storing five (!) 8" x 20" fenders in the transom; (3) adding two jam cleats on each side and using small (1/4") second lines that allow the fenders to be pulled up (and dropped) from the cockpit and helm.

Wayne McCown

Good ideas on the fenders, thanks for posting them.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne-

Great ideas. You must have been a sailor in a previous boating life to becoming a power boater, at least from all the rigging ideas!

Nice having the fenders the same as the boat's accent stripe, as they are hidden when horizontal and viewed from a distance.

Joe.
Wayne McCown

State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: RE Fenders and Sailing Reply with quote

Yes, Joe. I still consider myself a sailor, although since I got the C-Dory I have not spent much time sailing. I have two Sunfish (which I love) and aso a Peep Hen (which is quite a unique boat). My wife thinks I need to sell at least two of them! (I'll keep one Sunfish, though.) Wayne
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not "scotchmen" but "scotsmen" (me grranpy be rrrollin' overrr in hees grrrave...) and not "fenders" or "bumpers" but "buoys". They are great - as "fenders", as shrimp trap floats, anchor raisers, and halibut tethers - and for that dude coming in to dock next to you at 27 knots. Those in the Seattle area can get them here: http://www.seattlemarine.net/products/polyform.html

BTW, I use large polyforms on my 22 (in C-Dory green, of course). I rigged a large SS clip on some 1/2 braided line on each of the aft/cockpit handholds to which a pre-lengthened line on the fender clips. The fenders then sit out of thw way in the cockpit - under each handle. Makes fendering up for docking a snap - just throw it over board. I take the other fender forward, through the window and either clip it to the cleat or tie it on.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tying to pilings a fender board is best. Use two smaller fenders between the hull and fender board (2 x 8) x 3 feet for the Tom Cat. I'll post a photo in the Thataway album in the next day or so. Let the board rub against the piling--that avoids damage to the hull or fender.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
oldgrowth

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Those in the Seattle area can get them here: http://www.seattlemarine.net/products/polyform.html

I was thinking of getting some larger fenders for my 16 ft cruiser and I was wondering if the F-13 model (pictured on the left side of the guy, middle of the page) would be large enough, or should I look for something a little larger?

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth:

Definitely undersized and bouy size matters.

I have to admit - it would sure be a hoot to come into the dock with 2 of these babies.

Maybe we all need one of these two: http://www.maritimeinternational.com/photolibmaker.php?id=69
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: