The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

NEW ENGINE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: NEW ENGINE Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Been busy with Inn-the-Water. I bit the bullet. I had my stern rebuilt and new gas tanks installed with gages and all. Cost about $3,000.00. I then had a new Yamaha 75 HP 4 Stroke engine installed with Two battery setup. Cost about $9,500.00. (I was having problems with the 1983 Engine. The Chief at the Brant Point Station in Nantucket was getting a little worried. I also did not have confidence in the engine.)

Why do this on a boat that was built in 1983.

I am almost 65 years old. I picked up an additional 2 year warranty for a total of 5 years. Takes me to age 70.

This is my last boat. As soon as I get the pictures ready, you will see why I did this. A new or near new boat is about $35,000 to $45,000. I have in boat, motor and trailer, about $22,000. Each of my additions have been paid out-of-pocket. No loans on this boat.

Past projects included built in storage beside the engine well, a stern seat with much needed storage under. (Also a two piece cushion for napping.)
A cockpit cover with sides.

Future projects (they never end) include rebuilding part of the trailer so as to have roller bunk boards, guides, and electric winch so I can launch and retrieve boat with minimum effort. Also a Wallas Stove/heater to extend season.

I could not be happier with what I have.

This boat is a USCGAux Operational Facility, a fishing boat, a day boat, and a cruising boat which can be towed by a medium size SUV. (I have a Ford Explorer Scout.) It fits in my side yard. (I have to make the Gate wider because the sides keep hitting the posts. The boat and trailer is 8 feet wide, the gate is 10 feet wide, but the gate is on the side of the driveway. I have a blind spot when I am backing up.)

Man From Nantucket
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I'd never owned a C-Dory I would wonder why spend that on an '83, heck you could probably pick up a new Bayliner for that amount. But you're talking about a C-Dory, and they're not a normal boat. It's kinda like that dog you had for 15 years that was always there by your side, what wouldn't you give to keep him in top shape for another 15 years, especially since you know him so well?

Sounds to me like a great idea, but the people who are really going to appreciate it are the ones out it 6 foot seas with a dead motor, wife and kids aboard who see you pulling up flying the Coast Guard Aux flag! Bet they REALLY think you did the right thing!!
wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFheap, congradulations on the motor, well it looks like you have it planed out right ..... now just stay away from the gate post .... take care ...wc Thumbs Up (how did you get that call sign ..lol )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: