View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's what pleasure boating is all about, Bob. Rainbow Wish I could share each of those magic moments with every C-Brat. I certainly don't want to sound like an old grump saying, "Don't go out at night." Go, go, go - just know your limitations and do your homework. Exclamation Exclamation

Dusty
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the eeriest, but beautiful sights is a totally calm, moonless night, where the sky and the ground/water look exactly alike. Easier to see all the falling stars, and you get a double bang in the reflection. John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a-

We were on Howard Prarie Lake near Ashland, Oregon in 1999 on a windless night with the moon rising over the eastern mountains, when the reflection of the moon in the absolutly flat lake formed a laser-like flat beam accross the water from shore to shore, instead of a single, round reflection. I've only seen that the one time. At least at that level of beauty and uniqueness.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with night cruising was on Lake Chelan last year. There was a full moon just coming up over the northeast horizon and it was just getting dusk. Water was flat so I thought I would see how far up the lake I could get. Everything went well until I was about 10 miles beyond 25 Mile Creek. No more lights on the shore beyond 25 Mile Creek and the lake turned into a northerly direction. The mountains on the shore of the lake were high enough to block the moon light and a strong southerly wind was blowing. It was hard to tell the size of the waves, but I had a face full of water from them because I kept putting my head out the window trying to see anything. My GPS showed a campground with docks a few miles ahead of us but I did not want to fight the wind, waves and not being able to see so we turned around and found a campground and docks across from 25 Mile Creek.

One of the first things I did to my boat was add dimmer knobs to all my dash instruments so I can adjust the brightness to them or turn the light off completely.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
therevdr

City/Region: Lake St. Clair
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: DRIFTWOOD DREI
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of us USCG Auxiliarists on Lake St. Clair (north of Detroit) have found night patrols to be especially exciting . . . it's a beautiful time to be on the water and, at the same time (as most of the other postings have suggested) a time to take extra care.
As we began night patroling, I looked around for something to cut the light intensity of my LORAN GPS DISPLAY (which is just about indispensable in the dark to find the channel markers, etc.); the lowest setting is still way too bright for the night. I finally found (at TOYS-R-US in the infant section) sun screen sheets that can be cut and used as display dimmers (it's low-tech dimmers); over the main chart display and depth finder, I still have to use two layers of screening. (I've gone from two-sided tape to velcro to keep the display screen in place.)
therevdr on Driftwood Drei
jezzicaz789

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On edit by Da Nag

Leaving spammer post, since it's so friendly. Still killed the spammer, though - sorry. Mr. Green

---

drjohn71a wrote:
For those in less treacherous (logwise) waters... I have always enjoyed slowly motoring upwind until to the end of the lake, then drifting, watching the falling stars, etc., back to my starting point. Use a drift sock abeam, or forward if the wind is up. The biggest hazards are drinking sailors, partying belowdecks, on autopilot, who feel it is the world's obligation to get out of their way. John

Hi , I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and be sure to post a message in the General Chart forum
http://www.c-brats.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jezzicaz789 wrote:
drjohn71a wrote:
For those in less treacherous (logwise) waters... I have always enjoyed slowly motoring upwind until to the end of the lake, then drifting, watching the falling stars, etc., back to my starting point. Use a drift sock abeam, or forward if the wind is up. The biggest hazards are drinking sailors, partying belowdecks, on autopilot, who feel it is the world's obligation to get out of their way. John

Hi , I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Most all newcomers are welcomed warmly here, but this is a very strange first post with comment that makes no sense in reference to the quote from drjohn on a thread last commented on three years ago. That in combination with no profile and an obvious link to another web site rings the spammer-scammer alarm bell to me.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jezzicaz789 wrote:

We love newcomers! We warmly welcome you - long time!

Sheesh...spammers are dumb. Buh bye!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Any hand held or other FLIR experience? Reply with quote

Have recently seen an ad for a "handheld" FLIR device. $$$$$ I am sure, ($2500 roughly). Anyone here have any experience with FLIR (Forward Looking InfraRed) I believe. I had a chance to observe a demo at the Seattle Boat Show (SBS) and was very impressed. However, the price and installation requirements were, shall we say, extensive. Handheld seems to have some appeal, if the price is right.

Keeping in mind that running after dark is not done without considerable thought and preparation. In four years, two times. Running very slowly and with one engine up.

Harvey
SleepyC

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hand held or other FLIR experience? Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Have recently seen an ad for a "handheld" FLIR device. $$$$$ I am sure, ($2500 roughly). Anyone here have any experience with FLIR (Forward Looking InfraRed) I believe. I had a chance to observe a demo at the Seattle Boat Show (SBS) and was very impressed. However, the price and installation requirements were, shall we say, extensive. Handheld seems to have some appeal, if the price is right.SleepyC

FWIW, my take on the matter is that people run the ICW and offshore all night long but that there is enough debris in the water up here that one should not boat after dark unless the alternative is worse. Plus, I don't know if a FLIR unit would pick up deadheads, etc. They are hard enough to see in the daylight! That means, for me, a FLIR unit would fall in the same category as an EPIRB, but not mandatory. Only you can decide if it is worth the $2500.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flir technology depends on temperature of the material. I suspect that the deadheads would not show up well. Also fog and rain can decrease the reliablity and range. Granted that there are come cheaper devices, they are different than "night vision". I would put the EPRIB as being an essential, the FLIR an interesting aid, but not essential. We have managed thousands of hours of night running without incident.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read a post from Ken Williams who has an extremely well equipped Nordhavn 68 with a top of the line night vision system (it costs more than a new, well equipped CD22!). His conclusion was that it's a waste of money and not very useful.

I often go between Anacortes and Decatur at night. A couple sharp lookouts, radar, chartplotter, and familiarity make it fairly easy, although you have to be careful of floating debris. I don't think I'd want to be out at night in crowded or unfamiliar areas...
hughpenk

City/Region: Waterford--Intersection of Hudson River/Chaimplain Canal and Mohawk River Erie Canal
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: CD 16 (hughpenk)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first read this this thread 3yrs ago and changed my boating habits. I used to WOT the 16 at night in familair waters and a green channel marker jumped out in front of me and I narrowly missed it. Even in familiar waters it's hull speed. The kayak sport is growing and kayaks are out at nite too. It's tough to see a forest green old town loon kayak at nite and they're out there. On the Hudson at nite near Troy I have expeienced a "lighted channel marker" change from red to green- it was actually a traffic light reflection on a bend in the river. So hull speed it is.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a habit of getting out to the islands after dark on Friday nights in the summer, Just a matter of getting off work too late. So we have arrived in port after dark more than a few times. Slow is good if you have the time and I never do so I am forced to try and make good speed. I know the area very well, but has been noted we get a lot of debris here. Waiting a half a hour for the moon to rise will allow you to make better speed and spot the logs a little better. I find traveling in to the sun at dusk harder than driving at night. With the sun in your eyes you can’t see anything and the reflection will hide a fair size boat and make a kayak invisible. This is why I spend a lot of time in the day light in good weather using my radar. I know how to set it for maximum results at three miles (any farther in this area is useless) and at 1/16th of a mile. Sit in your boat at the dock and learn how to use it. Better yet sit at anchor and learn how to use it. Learn how to swiftly mark targets and track them, how to adjust your gain and power settings. Most important is to have the radar on BEFORE it gets dark. Have it set up and running before the sun sets. I have mine on all the time sun or shine.
This last year I installed a remote light on the bow rail and really like it when I get close to a breakwater or the docks. I still get some light leakage at the bottom of the spot light on to the rail and I have to fix this in the summer but the light has so many uses. I like it for picking my way thru an anchorage and finding a mooring buoy. Also good for spotting my crab pot at dusk. I also used it to judge whether I was dragging in the wind one night. We were anchored and stern tied in a small cove with a lot of other boats in a high wind. After dark I set the bow light on to a tree across the cove. If I got up in the night and turned on the light I could see the tree. If I did not then I was dragging. This night was our first with a new 25 feet of chain and we held great even though some other larger boats did drag. The light is also great to check on how close your neighbors are if they are dragging. I also like it for spot lighting wildlife at night on the shore. After having the light for half a season I can say that is more than worth the money for a verity of uses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: