View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP 3210 Temp readings Reply with quote

I am ready to buy new electronics package. I am a Garmin fan and wish to buy the 3210 bundle, (digital sounder, network expander, xm wx modual and 4kw radar). I tuna fish every chance I get and water temp is a very important reading. Does any one here know if you can calibrate the temp reading on the above unit. I have e-mailed Garmin but I haven't received a response and time is getting short.

Thanks
Gene Morris

Roy and Lucky

C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Water Lillie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about calibrating the unit itself but thought I'd share this link with you so you can do a little recon prior to your outing.
http://www.tempbreak.com/
Good luck with the tuna!
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't understand what you mean by calibrate. I have the Garmin GDL20 sounder module hooked up to a 2006C with a temp sensor on the transducer. It displays the surface temp just fine, and provides a graph that can be set up for whatever range and time you want. The temp display/graph can be shown on either the sounder page or the map page. But the measurement is simply the temp at the transducer depth with no provision or need to calibrate it. (Of course, there may be something in there like you mean, but I don't use anywhere near all the features it has.)

I have a Raytheon sounder with depth-only display and a thru hull transducer. To my surprise there is absolutely no interference between it and the dual-frequency transducer hooked to the Garmin. I run them both all the time.

I also have a 3210 with the 4kw radar. I don't have the network sounder module because I don't need it, although I could connect the older module if I wanted, but I am content with using the smaller display for the fishfinder. You will not be disappointed with the function and features of the 3210 network. Just make sure you are able to mount it far enough from your eyes. The display is huge. The Radome isn't exactly small, either, but they have come out with a 24" as an alternative to the 28" I have. I think they have open array transmitters now, too.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

Funny you should ask at this moment in time. I have a Garmin 188/Sounder and just installed a Garmin temperature sensor and cable to supplement my dual frequency sounder I've had for 3 1/2 yrs (temp sensor doesn't come with the plastic thru-hull type transducer, only the brass). I compared my temp readings last weekend with Roger's boat, we were different by 3-4 degrees. He said his agreed with the bouy information.

So I wrote Garmin and asked if there is an electronic calibration method with my unit, I couldn't find one on any of the menus. They said no, and that it's not unusual to see 5 degrees of differences between other units and thermometers. Guess that answers that...not the best answer! I plan to take my most accurate thermometer on my next trip and stick it in the water near my Garmin temp sensor and compare readings, I'll then mentally subtract/add the difference. Actually, the temperature CHANGES are most important anyway.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: