The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Not Your Average Motor Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefoot

City/Region: St. Johns River
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Altered Attitudes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Not Your Average Motor Questions Reply with quote

I asked for offers on my 16 because I never use it. It dawned on me that I never use it because of that honking great 50 HP Merc towering over the transom. I'm a sailor, slow and quiet, looking into the shoreline woods and have no use for bellowing and banging along with the spray flying. Some may remember that I once considered two 20s, almost never both at once.

Q 1: Anyone care to estimate what power a lightly loaded 16 Cruiser would need for hull speed (6-7 kt?) at less than full throttle, sometimes in wind to 15-20 kt, virtually no current or waves? 5, 8, 9.9, 15, 20, 25?

Q2: Anyone have that motor to sell? I'm in east Florida

Q3: Anyone want a mint 2006 Mercury 50 4-stroke, cheap?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Not Your Average Motor Questions Reply with quote

Disclaimer, I am not an expert here, all I know is what Dusty has told us all! You can get hull speed on a CD25 with a 9.9 hp, so you can rule out all of the larger engines for a CD16. I would think a 6 hp would be fine for a CD16, a lot of folks use 8 hp for their kicker on the CD22s. But I assume the science guys will chime in here with their formulae (1.34 time the square root of the waterline length to determine hull speed, hp per lb of boat weight, etc.)

barefoot wrote:
I asked for offers on my 16 because I never use it. It dawned on me that I never use it because of that honking great 50 HP Merc towering over the transom. I'm a sailor, slow and quiet, looking into the shoreline woods and have no use for bellowing and banging along with the spray flying. Some may remember that I once considered two 20s, almost never both at once.

Q 1: Anyone care to estimate what power a lightly loaded 16 Cruiser would need for hull speed (6-7 kt?) at less than full throttle, sometimes in wind to 15-20 kt, virtually no current or waves? 5, 8, 9.9, 15, 20, 25?

Q2: Anyone have that motor to sell? I'm in east Florida

Q3: Anyone want a mint 2006 Mercury 50 4-stroke, cheap?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of trailerable sailboats up to 3000 pounds get by with 8 hp or less to move the boat to hull speed. We have a 1500 pound SunCat catboat that will do 5-6 knots with a 4 hp.

I am a sailor boy right down to the bone, Barefoot. Wind in my face, feel the pull in the sails, trim that sheet, sailing kinda guy. And I gotta tell you, I love our C-Dory. That big ol' Honda out back lets me take this boat anywhere I want to go... no tacking, not much concern about the breeze. We have found that we spend as much time at 6-7 knots (where you can barely hear the motor, though that may be a factor of the 25 vs the 16) as we do at mid-teen cruise speeds. We rarely run it over 20 knots.

I had some concerns early on... it made more noise, didn't turn when the throttle was off, and there was no way to kick my feet up in the cockpit while making way. It took me a couple hours (get it, Wink more than an hour and a half) to understand the nature of this boat. Now, I love the sound of that quiet Honda, I keep some throttle on when turning, and we have some comfortable chairs in the cockpit. And when I want to make some time (to get to the neat gunkholing places), I can push the throttle forward and flat get there. Still, most of the time, we are still in that sailing mode of enjoying the journey.

And if you only want to do 5 knots, pull back the throttle. Heck, we come down our canal at about 3 knots most of the time... neighbors are always commenting about "how quiet that boat is." Yesterday, one neighbor said, "It looks like you are just floating along; I can't even hear your motor." And it was quiet enough that I could hear him say that from the seawall of the canal.

So, you have the boat and motor... and the sailing attitude (and I certainly mean that in a nice way). You can change out the motor (which will cost you some bucks) or change the attitude (which is free).

I've never been out on the water in a 16, so I have no hands-on point of reference, but the folks on this forum seem to covet that boat. Maybe some more time out playing with the boat will give you a different perspective? One thing for sure on our boat: that big Honda is quieter from the helm station than the motor was on the sailboat. We used that motor to get in and out of our canal and marinas. Sometimes when the wind was too light. Sometimes when poking around in skinny water. But it wasn't the best part of the sailing experience. And then a little catboat helped me to realize that I just LOVE being out on the water... motor, sail, big, little... doesn't matter, I just love it all. Give it a shot... see how quiet you can make that motor; put some Jimmy Buffett on the boombox; poke into some shallow bays, turn off the motor, and kick back. And when the afternoon rains come up, you can be underway and dry.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. CoolSmile

Best wishes,
Jim B.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
You can change out the motor (which will cost you some bucks) or change the attitude (which is free).

Wise words which can apply to many other situations. Wink

Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefoot,

I'm with Jim on this one.

I spent all of my life in sail, including two years on an extended cruise and one Fl to Caracas trip. We sold our Jeanneau Tonic a year before we bought Valkyrie, for a number of reasons.

With the C-Dory we are no longer constrained by draft in both cruising and launching, and we don't have to take HOURS to rig the boat.

About the noise factor, yes, our Honda 90 is louder than a sailboat under sail, but is MUCH quieter than havng a Honda 8 in a well in the cockpit with us, as we did on Spirit, our Jeanneau Also, any outboard on a sailboat typicallly is being pushed for hull speed, while a larger, four stroke outboard is loafing a C-Dory. Usually, the C-Dory will be quieter.

Like JIm and Joan, we rarely push our boat fast and prefer cruising at about 12 knots or less, which is very quiet. I have not run your engine, but can't imagine that it is a screamer at under ten.

Don't get me wrong, I love sail and will always consider myself a sailor and when the wind picks up over 20 and the seas are climbing to six feet, I would often rather be out there on a double-reefed sailboat having fun.

A large number of C-Brats came from sail or still have sailboats. GIve the boat a chance; the transition is easy. The boat and engine you have should do what you have described.

Oh yeah, some of our sailing buddies have been on board and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. As one put it, "This is great, nice and quiet, I guess maybe you didn't go over the the 'dark side' after all!"

Best regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"

Last edited by Valkyrie on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
DAVEY5205

City/Region: TACOMA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: HONEY DO LIST
Photos: HONEY DO
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: kicker Reply with quote

i run a 8 on my 16 and do just fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider getting a Saltwater capable Electric tolling motor. While it won't likely get you to hull speed (unless it was 36 volts and over 100 lbs thrust) it will be nearly dead quiet and give you much of what you are asking for. Then use the big motor when you need it.

Of course a Yamaha T8 High Thrust would likely push that boat just fine and give you electric tilt/start capabilities.

Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 4hp merc 2 stroke on my 22 and it pushes it 4-5 mph. It would probably push it faster but the prop is beat up because it spends part of it's life on a canoe in rocky rivers. It works so well at churning through gravel that I'm considering using it as a rototiller.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkyrie wrote:

About the noise factor, yes, our Honda 90 is louder than a sailboat under sail, but is MUCH quieter than havng a Honda 8 in a well in the cockpit with us,
Nick"Valkyrie"

Barefoot,
When we had our 16' Cruiser we had both a Honda 50 and a Honda 8 kicker. (Both of them were 4 strokes). The Honda 8 was louder than the "50" and therefore not as pleasant to the ear. About the only time we used the "8" was when we were in an area that severely restricted our speed for an extended period of time and it became a good excuse to put a few hours on the "8" and fewer hours on the "50". (That being said, if you choose to move down to just an 8 HP it will probably do what you want it to do, but perhaps will not be as quiet). Personally, I'd keep the "50" and just throttle down and enjoy it........but I realize everyone's desires are different, so by all means do what you think will make you happy. Laughing

Just don't sell the C-Dory! Wink

C-Brat #16
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Motors Reply with quote

Barefoot,
Not such an odd thought! I installed a Honda 75 and a Honda 8 on my 22 Classic back in 2001. At the time I agonized between the Honda 75 and the Honda 50 for the main motor. I'm not a speed demon and I may have made a mistake. The 50 is a lot lighter than the 75/90 and would have probably only been problematic with really heavy loads. If you go with an 8 or a 9.9 ( I seem to recall Yamaha had a popular model several years ago) you could sneak on all the lakes with a 10 HP limit.

I think one of the bigger problems with larger motors at slower speeds is limited battery charging, but that's just a guess.

Good luck!

Mike
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Not Your Average Motor Questions Reply with quote

I wonder if something like a wind block on the front of a trailer mounted in front of the engine to send the sound back instead of into the cabin might not help.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff-

We had a thread on sound blocking a few months ago, and although a lot of ideas were discussed, some experimentation by Do On Dory Dan, or DogonDan, it was discovered that a lot, if not most, of the sound was being transmitted through the transom to the hull, which acted as a sounding board.

HERE'S the thread about motor noise, which started out about Suzuki motors being loud.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Science? Reply with quote

Like Mr. Einstein said,,,, it's all relative (a little nerd humor). Mechanical movement of a boat is defined by the "work" performed by the method of locomotion or simply put, Work=Force x Distance. Now with boats that is not quite as straight forward... you have to factor in the % efficiency of the force applied to move the thing. I have been told boats are not very efficient in in the transfer of power to movement... just look at the mph you get with your power boat minus the use of oars for locomotion... people power does not count.
The other thing ya have to take into affect is ya gotta get the boat moving and once that is done you have to deal with momentum or simply stated Mass x Velocity... you have to be able to adequately control it once you get her moving...

me personally I like a slow ride with the capability to control the vessel in tight places and or in adverse conditions.

Nice thread to read! Butch

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff-

Here's a look at a sound deadening and motor hiding transom in Mini Swan's Other Cool Boats Album that is a sailboat converted into a mini-trawler with a lot of inventive ideas:

There are a lot of cool boats in the photos, well worth a look.

Here's one of my favorites, a home designed and built sternwheeler push boat:

Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:48 am; edited 4 times in total
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to nominate Jim (Wild Blue) as the official spokesman for us ex-sailors that have succumbed to powerboats! Jim, you have captured the essence of a sailor and obviously have experienced the zen of sailing. Sailing is a sport, powerboating is well, a means to float and get somewhere. Like you, I find anything to do with water and boating is enjoyable. I've had 7 sailboats and 8 power, good memories from all. My CD25 is extremely enjoyable to run and to stay in a few nights or even weeks. My sailboats (all trailerable) had their qualities as well -- although a little less comfortable for overnighting.

Like you said, it's a great way to relax and relate to your family and friends. Thanks for expressing this all so eloquently!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: