The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Which inflatable dinghy & outboard for a Tom Cat?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Which inflatable dinghy & outboard for a Tom Cat? Reply with quote

I'm starting to look for a dinghy for the Tom Cat that I am picking up in a couple of weeks and would like to know the size and manufacturer/model that other Tom Cat owners are using, as well as the make and model of outboard.

West Marine sells a 9'4" SB4 Sportboat that is currently at the top of my list. The price is reasonable (even more so if I buy on sale) and the size appears to be perfect. Keep in mind that I do not have a tall radar arch but rather the low-profile one (this is the way my boat was optioned -- I did not order it.) This means that there is not enough space under the arch to fit a boat. There appears to be about 9' from the forward edge of the arch to the forward edge of the top -- hence my focus on a 9' boat.

My boat also will be equipped with a pot puller, which I intend to also use for lifting the dinghy onto the cockpit. From there I can slide it up onto the cabin top (he said optimistically.)

I was planning to install a 2.5 hp Yamaha on this boat, and to store this motor when not in use somewhere aft of the cockpit (I need to wait for my big motors to be installed before I know what my dinghy motor storage options are.) Is this a good size motor for the boat, given that one of my criteria is how easy it will be to deploy and retrieve it.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might be willing to share on whether this is a good choice of boat and motor.

Thanks,
Warren Keuffel
F/V Lori Ann
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori Ann

We use a 8' 6" inflatable with a Honda 2HP outboard, on Discovery. I purchased the Dingy on EBay. I think the brand is Baltic. Its made in So. Korea. The quality is equal to the West Marine boat and the price was about $650.00 It has a high pressure inflatable floor, and the whole thing weighs about 55 lbs. We have solar panels on the roof of Discovery, so the dingy is usually towed after inflating. I have made a stainless rack that mounts over the swimstep to also carry the dingy, in an inverted position. I will post a pic of it. The dingy is small for two, but works OK for us.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren and welcome aboard,

Amazing you were able to "stay under the radar" while in your decision making mode. How did you keep those questions in without imploding? Mr. Green

We have the CD-25, and have found that the 260 (Zodiac made for West Marine) fits on our cabin top, just in front of the radar arch. It is an 8.5', slat floor, inflatable. We use a 2.5 hp Merc on it. Since you are talking about a similar size motor, you will not be planing with that inflatable. From a $$ perspective, the slat floor is much less expensive than the inflatable floor.

We have no problem hauling our inflatable to the cabin top without a davit. I go to the bow with a line tied to the D-ring in the front of the inflatable and just haul it up. If my wife gives me a hand, it is very easy; I have done it by myself without much straining.

The smaller/lighter motor is sure easier to haul on and off... although I do admit I have a bit of "dinghy envy" when I see the guys on their 40+ foot boats with the RIBs with center consoles and big motors as dinghies. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery,

I like that mounting bracket for the 2 H.P. Honda in your photo album. Correct me if I'm wrong, but two pieces of 3/4 starboard bolted together? I noticed you used to have the same boat I do now the 24TC. Did you use the same bracket on that boat? We see rough seas sometimes, do you ever notice the motor bouncing around? or is it never rough where you boat?

Warren, hope you find the questions useful too, since you were trying to figure out where to store your motor.

Thanks,
John
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

RedFox loves his 2.5 Yamaha and has written extensively about it on his site. He much prefers it to the Honda 2hp (which comes as no surprise to any of the regulars around here). Wink

Mark

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, Dreamer has a Achilles LT-4 Hypalon Dinghy. It fits on the roof but does tuck under the tall Radar Arch. We like it a lot. The Suzuki 4hp is a little heavy for this old guy. I may opt for a lighter 2-2.5 hp motor. The LT-4 calls for a long shaft motor due to the height of it's engine mount. Hope this helps.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments--having owned about 10 inflatables during our boating "lives". (plus about as many RIB's and hard dinghies). For a C Dory or Tom Cat, you want to use as light a boat as possiable (I don't suggest this for larger boats or long distance cruisers).

The slat floor or a high pressure inflatable floor is much easier to manage than an inflatable with "floorboards". These floorboards are the devil to put in--on any boat or land--let alone a C Dory type of boat. You also are not going to be planning this boat, which is why it has the floor boards and inflatable keel. So I strongly recommend that you consider either roll up slatted floor (they can be either slats which go into pockets or the articulated compete vinly floor, with an inflatable keel--which will plane) or an air floor.

We have the minimum--and smaller than I would recommend for most folks--a 6'7" PVC boat by West Marine (Zodiac). We also had a 8 foot boat with the slat thru the fabric in the bottom, (gave it up with the C Dory 22, but used it for that boat also). Both of these boats are light weight--the current boat is about 32 lbs--the other was closer to 40. We carry the boat upside down if inflated, over the air conditioner--or rolled up aft of the AC unit (no radar arch). We use a LM 12 volt pump--it is fairly expensive, but we have had ours for over 30 years and still works like new! Will inflate a boat in a couple of minutes. So for us it is easier and faster to deflate and roll up--then inflate when necessary.

We have a 3.5 hp Nissan(branded as Mercury). Again--light weight--about 33 lbs. The reason I have more than 2 hp: A long time ago, we were anchored at San Miguel Isand, and as I left the beach, with the dogs, I went downwind to the boat, but as I turned, the 2 hp didn't have enough power to push the inflatable against the increasing wind. Fortunately I was able to get right behind the lee of the large boat and my life threw me a line and we were saved! No more 2 hp. I realize that for the most part that 2 hp is enough--but....there comes that windy day and ....

I normally suggest Hypalon fabric for durability--but the PVC boats are migh lighter and cheaper. For the C Dory and Tom Cat--the PVC are OK--just keep them stored under cover. My personal choice is not to tow. I have seen too many inflatables which have swamped or flipped. In our three years cruising Alaska, we had a 11 1/2 foot RIB with either a 15 or 25 hp outboard (350 to 400 lbs total weight)--and had a setup which allowed the dinghy to be pulled aboard over a roller on the stern (like a purse seiner pullboat) with an electric winch. Once we towed the boat--and it took on water, fortunately we had an on board electric bilge pump which handled the water.

The other thing to consider is that the C Dory family are all boats which are easy to take to shoal water--even the Tom Cat 255, is almost like a dinghy. There are some times when a dinghy is necessary, but not as often as with many larger or other brand boats. The distances which you have to "Dinghy" are often much shorter--and if you have a light dinghy (even 65 lbs with motor) two of your can carry it up the beach, rather than having to anchor it off, with all of the problems this causes.

Good luck--but agree that there are some alternative brands which are good values. Be sure and check out (at least assemble and sit in the boat) before buying.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main reasons I am considering a dinghy is so that I am not dependent upon finding slip space when I arrive at a harbor or a marine park. I want to be able to pick up a mooring on a buoy and then use the dinghy to get to shore. As far as exploring goes, I do understand that the Tom Cat can go a lot of places, but for peace of mind I think I would prefer to do that in a dinghy.

Thataway, I appreciate the caution about the small motor. I'll have to think about that one some more. As for the boat type, my thinking is that I will put the boat together once and then that will probably be the last time I do it, as I anticipate it will be on top of the cabin (with a cover to protect against UV) whenever not in use. So if that is how it works out, ease of assembly should be a non-issue.
At least that is how it is playing out in my mind.

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can leave them inflated--and we had several of the full floor, with aluminum side rails or aluminum side rails and aluminum floor boards. The price you are paying is that of weight--99 lbs, without motor, according to the book. It is fairly easy to get 33 lbs on the cabin top--99 lbs is a bit more difficult. From the cockpit to the cabin top, it would not be too bad, but I believe you said you have the low arch--so it has to go over the arch--and I presume a radar. You want to make things as easy as possiable. You won't be able to keep the dinghy motor on when on the top. Another possibility, is to make a rack over the cockpit--which will suspend the bimini top (but under the framework--as used for Kayaks)--and then you could use a roller to pull the boat up on the framework---framework could dip down in the back, to a 45 degree, winch pull the boat up--and then aft part pulled back up. One electric winch could do all of this--and you can find some Rule winches fairly inexpensively.

I certainly understand the rational for a dinghy--When we had the big ones, we would take trips of 30 or more miles in the dink (with a back up kicker, full gear, including radio, GPS etc). I also feel that a dinghy is a reasonable back up for a life raft, as long as you understand the capabilities, and take precautions.

One thing to remember in the PNW is that most beaches are rocks--many with the barnicles and sharp objects. That is why we had an RIB--and would put a saccrificial strip on the bottom each year--that way we didn't worry about taking the dinghy right on the rocks 4 + times a day to takes the dogs ashore. If you are going to take the dinghy on the beach in the PNW--consider either an RIB or aluminum bottom boat--weight may be about the same, and not have to worry about fabric damage. If you are always going to docks--not a probelm. We rarely stayed at marinas in our three years cruising that area, but lots of places have free, or very cheap docks--and even with a 46 footer could usually find a place.

Basically trying to open up other possibilities of carrying the boat--and types of boats.
Discovery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John S

Yes, the motor mount is made of two pieces of 3/4" starboard. I never had a dingy with the TC24, so we didn't have a dingy motor mounted on it. The setup on the TC255 is super secure. No problem at all with stability in any sea conditions. We put it to the limit a few times this summer, on our Canada cruise. Had really nasty conditions in the Johnstone strait and the Haro strait. See "Discovery in the Northwest" in the Grand Adventures.

When we tow the dingy, its with the motor removed. I like to use the dingy as a fishing platform. When the waters allow, its perfect for spinfishing. At Lake Powell I use it to poke along the shore in the side canyons, plugging for Bass and Crappie.
John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent,

Undoubtly you saw some pretty extreme currents and maybe some winds during your Canadian cruise. Did you ever have any concerns about your 2 HP Honda being underpowered. I don't like the idea of being blown away from my boat in a dinghy while under full power.

Thanks,
John
Discovery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John S

We only ventured out in the dingy when the sea conditions were acceptable for our comfort level. Mostly shore trips when we were on the hook. It is easily blown around. When fishing I often drift and go with the wind. The 2HP Honda does a good job on the 8' 6" boat. Its not fast but seems to have plenty of power. If the sea was wild enough to blow the dingy around uncontrolably, then the waves would by too dangerous to be out in. The 8' 6" dingy with the 2HP is a good match for our needs, and our available storage space on the TC255. The total cost boat and motor was under $1400.00 Its equal to the much more expensive West Marine inflatable floor model.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help.. we will take possession of our new Tom Cat 255 later this month. As my husband is concerned with electronics, motors, trailers etc. I have been worried about dinghys. As my husband is disabled (on crutches) I am the one that does alot of the climbing, launching, docking, etc. We are new to cruising and have never used a dinghy. To add to my concern, we have an 85lb Golden Retriever. I'll will be the one handling the dinghy. Boarding, rowing to shore, stowing etc. Can one get out of a dinghy without climbing a ladder? Neither my husband or dog climb ladders. We will need something I can handle on my own. Any suggestions? How does one get in the dinghy from the boat? You see I am very new nieve to this part of boating. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Margaret Morris
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret--good to meet the other part of the family--I am enjoyed "chatting with Gene". For you I would recommend something different than for above. You want a very stable boat--which is easy for the dog--and Gene. Boarding is easy. With the Tom Cat 255 you have two options--one is over the transom and on the swim step on the side.
The other is directly over the side by the aft cabin house. For the dog-no question--the aft swim step/engine bracket. You can also bring the nose of the inflateable right between the motors, but that is tight, so along side, secure to the eye bolt in the transom to keep it in place. The floor of the dinghy will be close to the level of the swim step on the Tom Cat. You may want to add another hand railing in the back/side. Gene can sit down on the railing and swing over into the boat. (Remember we took a 125 lb Lab to 41,000 miles on a 62 foot sailboat--and two english labs on a modified Cal 46, plus another 150 lbs of assorted dogs on a C Dory 22!)

Now what type of boat? I probably would consider a slatted vinyl floor--if they are still made, by Avon in the 10 1/2 foot size. Very stable and dog friendly (this is not the few slats thru the fabric, but articulated pieces). They are fairly easy to roll up and stow if necessary--but on the heavy size--consider a davit as we have.
A high pressure floor is also OK--but you will want a carpet for the dog --a rubber backed mat, with the semi fabric on the front works well. The dog is a sand magnet--so you do have to keep the sand out of the corners of the floor--it will abraid the boat fabric.
Finally a RIB is the best for dogs. There are some with foldable transoms, which could be put on the swim step--or a davit could be built to bring it over the motors--that would take some engineering. The major point is that you will not want to hoist it up to the cabin top (unless you are like "Lubba"--a Russian Nanny we once hired, who like to row my children in our 16 foot dory for 4 hours a day!) This is one instance when I might recommend towing the dinghy.
I don't recommend rowing inflatables, althought it can be done. The windage thing is even worse with rowing than with a small motor. I would go for 3 to 4 hp motor. Consider that you may want to get Gene in the boat at times--and again the stability is going to be key.

So when you get the boat, go to a store with a number of inflatables and start looking--but keep the basics in mind--and see where the water line is on the boat--and visualize where it will be in the dinghy.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-

Great, thoughtful post with invaluable insights!

And any sailor with a ton of dogs traveling thousands of miles and ending up in a couple of C-Dorys has got to have the absolute best credentials imaginable!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: