View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: New guy introduction. Reply with quote

Aloha
I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. I am currently living in Snohomish County, WA and am employed as a deputy with the King County Sheriff's Office (Seattle area). I am born/raised in Hawai'i and have been around the ocean my entire life. I relocated to WA State in mid-'99. Since moving here I have missed the ocean, fishing, surfing etc. so... my wife and I have been looking for a boat we could use to enjoy the Puget Sound area. Our needs were as follows: 20-25' & "easily" trailerable, fully enclosed cuddy cabin (V-berth/porta-potti) w/ a simple galley area for weekend cruises, ability to just cruise comfortably or fish/crab when needed etc. All this and we didn't want to mortgage the house in the process. Wink Everything I looked at was either too big/heavy, just too expensive or was of the "open" cabin type (definitely not an option in the rainy, cold Pac NW).

One day I was dropping my brother off at the Everett Marina and saw a small, boat with an enclosed cabin & a large bow slowly motoring by. My brother comments on how "That's exactly what you're looking for..." I note the C-Dory name, do a little research and...voila...I find your sight! After a little further research I am now undergoing a serious search for a 22' Cruiser. I am looking for a "newer" one, not more than 5-10 years old. I've been doing a little reading here and am amazed at the information available! I know I'll have many more questions as I proceed on my search. Thanks in advance for any help/advice you all may have and sorry I was a little long-winded here... Beer

Last edited by localboy on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, localboymark! C-Dory's are great boats and fit our needs perfectly in the great Pacific NW. It sounds like it would fit your needs as well. Take a look at the C-Dorys for sale section on the home page, there are a couple of 2000 22' Cruisers in the NW that may be just what you're looking for. And yes, this site has a wealth of information from a great many experienced skippers as well as very creative do-it-yourselfers. I've learned so much in the two seasons we've had C-Dancer. Hope to see you out on the water real soon!

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha Mark and welcome,

You will find the Aloha Spirit alive and well here on the C-Brats site. In your search, you may even find a C-Brat cousin in Hawaii. The 22 would be a perfect boat for your intended usage - be sure to check out the "boats for sale" part of this site.

Everyone here has been exactly where you are, in the discovery stage. Good luck on your search and feel free to ask any questions you have along the way.

C-Brats no ka oi (are the best). CoolSmile

Best wishes,
Jim B.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"localboymark"

I just sent a "PM" to you. Click on the message area at the top of your page and you'll find my message.

C-Brat #16
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome from Florida !Aloha Brah, Take your time and find Da Kine C Dory!
Marc

Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Welcome aboard, good to have another Mark and another law enforcement guy too. In some old threads, and from time to time, we discuss the reasons we own C-Dorys. Your intro nails several of them. I believe you are hooked and you will see it is the right decision. Some of those aluminum PNW boats are tempting though but they are just not as versatile as the C-Dory.

Regards,

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it turned your head, you're hooked. Start picking out a name. Welcome

"...we're all in the same boat..."
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Sir! And thanks for your service. It takes a special person to do your kind of work. I'm sure you will find the right boat. They are great for our area.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pub...and think about relocating to the warm waters of SW Florida, they are closer to what your use to and Collier County is paying big bonus to get new Deputys. You will need a 25' because of the cost of living here, you might have to live on it. Razz

Happy shopping....fair winds.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
If it turned your head, you're hooked. Start picking out a name. Welcome

Laughing Oh, I do think I'm hooked. The first step is always admitting you have a "problem". Wink

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. Believe it or not I already have a name picked out: MERENEV. My wife's name is Meredith and my grandaughter's name is Nevaeh. It just seems appropriate since they are the two most important women in my life and I kinda like the way it flows. Of course I need find/buy a boat to name first. Embarassed
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboymark wrote:
Believe it or not I already have a name picked out: MERENEV

Sounds like a neat name and I do believe you will be the only boat with the name, unless someone steals it before you get your boat.

Welcome Aboard

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
ECHOE14

City/Region: south bay, los angeles!
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: NEEANDA
Photos: NEEANDA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha Five O,
Book'em Dano he's HOOKED!! Welcome Aboard!! Good luck on your quest for a dory!! You will love it!! It's ONO!!
Cheer's
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Welcome Aboard! Reply with quote

Dear Aloha:

Although I now live in NY, I was raised in Snohomish County!

I purchased a 1999 22' Cruiser this spring. It is used primarily on L. Ontario (which is not Puget Sound, but pretty big water!). I absolutely love the C-Dory.

It tows beautifully (and is legal anywhere in the US!). While I have towed the C-22 with my little Toyota pickup (rated to tow 5000#), that is barely enough truck to handle it (and could result in trouble at some ramps). I feel much more comfortable towing it with my full-size (Chevy Silverado) pickup, which easily handles the task.

I can singlehandedly launch and retrieve this boat. With my particular trailer (see photos), I literally float the C-22 off and on--without getting my feet wet! (From what I can discern, listening to the experience of other owners, I think the trailer has a lot to do with this part of the experience--which for me, is a pretty important piece.) It is so easy for me, in fact, that I often have the boat in and out of the water twice a day when we are at our cottage (which is located only two miles from the Golden Hill State Park ramp).

Aloha, enjoy your search: that's part of the process and fun...and so, for me, is "messing around" on the boat. And, the C-Dory, as you can see from these pages, is a fun boat for such activity, inspiring lots of creativity!

Wayne
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much thanks to Dave S for his hospitality in showing me his 22' Cruiser "Sea Shift". Upon his invite I paid a visit at his property and he took the time to show me his boat, explained what he did with it and why and even had hot coffee ready! Tea Our visit was unexpectedly cut short but it was invaluable to me. Nothing like seeing the boat in person, standing in it, inspecting every option. The 22' Cruiser will fit our wants/needs to a tee.
Roy and Lucky

C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Water Lillie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the obcession!
The first time I saw a C-Dory was in Everett Wa. I told Lucky "That's the boat we've been looking for!". I later forgot the name. It was years later that I saw a small add in a magazine, checked out their website and told Lucky "That's the boat we've been looking for!". It didn't occure to me until a yaer after we'd bought our boat that it's the same model I saw in Washington.
Hope you find YOUR perfect boat soon.
Thanks for keeping watch Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: