HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Heater Options Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Heater Options Please Reply with quote

Had a friend call me about heating options on a CD22. Indicated he had seen a heater that WAS NOT A WALLACE.... but felt the name had started with a W.....something and may be a spin off of an Indian type name??

Can't think of it myelf, could not find it using a search....so I'll open up to the group for help ...

I see Force 10 and folks seem to really like them.
I see our wallace family "heaters only"... and folks like them..
I see the "Little Buddy"...and folks like them.
I have seen the Dickenson....with some mixed results...some like em, some don't....as with our picky wallace set ups...

So... am I missing a potential good heater for the pilot house boat?

Byrdman.....getting ready for cooler months ahead in the hills of TN.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Options Please Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
Had a friend call me about heating options on a CD22. Indicated he had seen a heater that WAS NOT A WALLACE.... but felt the name had started with a W.....something and may be a spin off of an Indian type name?

Hi Patrick,
Actually the correct spelling of our "wallace" stoves is "Wallas". "Wallas" perhaps could be construed as an "Indian type name". Could it be that Wallas is the heater that he is referring to.

C-Brat #16
Vikingbaat

City/Region: Edmonds
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: HAVNISSEN
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick:

Check out the Webasto heater line. One site is at www.suremarine.com. They also sell several of the other heaters you mentioned. I'm thinking about having a Webasto heater installed in my CR-25 ranger. Looks like a good heating system, but a bit more expensive than the factory Wallas heater.

CR-25 on order
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Tugs I think I would install a Red-Dot heater along with the Wallace. The Red Dot would run off the cooling system on the engine while the engine is running (similar to your car heater). These things work great! I have one on my sled and in my C-Dory. The one on the sled will keep it warm and toasty even with the back off on the soft top. With the back on it can be 30 degrees out side and you would be comfortable with shirt sleeves. Of course they only work with Inboard or I/O engines as they run off the cooling systems.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note about the Webasto, Espar, and Toyotomi forced air heaters.

These are sophisticated units with good track records, but may be too large for some applications.

What you don't want is a heater that has such a large outut that it must cycle on and off constantly, putting big time wear on the operating/starting components.

What you do need is a heater that can be modulated (turned down), so that the output can be constant and match the need for your size boat.

It's also annoying to have a heater that cycles on and off constantly! RV folks know this all too well.

The Webasto and Espar heaters work like a kerosene space heater and spray pressurized diesel into a chamber with an igniter which burns, and then is externally vented through an exhaust tube/port.. Heat is exchanged between the chamber and the air between it and the surrounding jacket as the air is forced through this space and out the heater's ducts. It's a great system for school busses, or any fairly large space to heat.

The Toyotomi (if I remember correctly-got the Brain @ 64 Fuzzies at times), works much the same way, except the combustion occurs via a wick, like the Wallas.

One very important consideration, therefore, is to match the heater output to the boat's needs, and that can even come out differently depending on how cold it is where you boat.

Check with the manufacturers web site and especially with other folks with the same boat and heater combination to get the best match.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bering diesel stove /oven/heater made by Dickinson on my 27ft Motorsailer. I finally tried it out and it seems to work fine. You use a flue fan to start the draft going for the burner and then turn it off or low once the stove is running hot. You pull a handle to circulate the heat around the oven area. I haven't had much experience with it yet but it seem very simple in operation. I'm sure it will keep the cabin warm! I'll see if I can find a website for it
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a "Mr.Heater" catalytic portable heater and it will drive you out of the cabin at 40F. I think it was $90 at Cabellas.
Works for me and you can use it for other purposes when not boating.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Webasto in our 22' C-Cakes and are very happy with it. there was quite a discussion about heaters on brats a few months ago. I think it was under a Wallas problem thread or something like that. Our Webasto was installed by les at EQ and does a great job here in the PNW. Look at the C-Cakes album for some installation pics from that earlier discussion.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am personally not comforatable with the portable nonvented heaters. Although they have oxygen sensors, they reqire that nine square inches of open window or vent is required for the smallest unit. If the oxygen sensor, or combustion is not proper, they can produce carbon monoxide.

I would use a CO Experts carbon Monoxide detector in the cabin
http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/186016-1.html#coex for an excellent article on CO and detectors. And never go to sleep with a non vented space heater on.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Austin,
I totally agree with you on the proper ventalation. I almost died in my C-Dory in 1985 using a cat. heater with the doors/windows closed up because there was a 30 knot wind. My dog started to whine which woke me up. I had a trophy pounding headache and I could hardly raise my arms to open the hatch cover. When I did the fresh air rushed in. Wheeeeeww. That was a close one.
I now leave the cabin door open at all times. The heater still does a good job of making me comfortable.
Thanks for the reminder though.
Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: