The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bending Stainless Tubing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Bending Stainless Tubing Reply with quote

I'm considering making some racks for the boat and plan to use one-inch stainless tubing, probably 316. I've been searching the Internet for information on how to bend it but haven't found any useful information as yet. What little information I've found makes me think that a standard plumber's pipe bender won't do the trick, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Any tips on how to do it, or books or Web sites that provide step-by-step info for the uninitiated?

Thanks,

Tom Herrick
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-

1" stainless 316 tubing is WAY too tough to bend on your own, IMHO!

You need the services of a professional railmaker to bend the stuff at the right raidi, etc.

I did put a bend in a short piece with my van back in 2003, but it was just a kink, as bends go:

Is there a railmaker near you?

It's great stuff, and also deserves 1st class welding to preserve it's strength at joints and attachment points.

HTH

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm way out of my league here, but I also share an interest in learning how to work with stainless tubing...I've done a little bit of reading on the subject over the last year or so, but have zero practical experience.

A good place you might start - Google Groups. rec.crafts.metalworking has a lot if info in it - here's a query on tubing benders that has some info.

The one thing that does seem to be repeated by the pros, over and over...it can't be done with good results, without the right equipment. Pipe benders won't do it - and tubing benders are pricey.

On the low end (realtively speaking - they are still pricey), there are two that seem to get mentioned a lot. Again, no practical experience with either, but something to take a peek at.

Tube Shark

and

JD Squared

Good luck...I'd be interested in any additional info you might find.

Da Nag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video (Windows Media format) of the JD Squared Model 3 in action...looks pretty slick, and turns out a beautiful bend.

It's one of the cheaper models I've seen with good reviews...still, once you factor in accessories and some dies, you'll be pushing $1K.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree if you want quality bends, other than slight kinks--go to a tubing bender. I just had the camper back made--the outer bends were by a shop with a tubing bender--the canvas worker put the arc in by hand--you could see little kinks each place where he had bent it a little. Usually the tubing benders run the tubing between wheels, as it travels, different amounts of deflection are applied to give the bend or arc.

Way back when I was a boy scout, we did bend some aluminum tubing by filling it with sand. I don't know if this would work with SS or not. Remember that there are various thicknesses of SS tubing side walls.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
therrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...once you factor in accessories and some dies, you'll be pushing $1K.

If I spend $1K right now I'll be pushing daisies...

Thanks for the input. I talked to a good prototyping machinist I know who's set up to do pretty much anything with metal. He can do the bending and welding for me. I will pretty much have to be content to wield a screwdriver on this one.

Too many other things going on just now to take on working a fairly complex new material.

Thanks, all.

Tom
jflug

City/Region: Bodega Bay
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pescadory
Photos: Pescadory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - Don't despair; it actually is possible without spending a huge amount of money. It's called a "Handle-Operated Tube Bender", and it's a geared bender that you can clamp in your vice. After lots of looking, the only place I could find a new one was at McMaster Carr. About $200 or so. Check it out at page 2183 in their on-line catalog [http://www.mcmaster.com/]. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay and still paid about $100, but it was a good investment. It makes a nice smooth 4" radius bends in 1" tubing. I've used it for several projects on the boat, including a radar arch. I found out about it when I went to a shop near here that specializes in winery equipment.

Jim

[/img][/url]
therrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Does the tubing come out smooth at the bend? I've read that some benders leave small crimps along the inside radius. What is the wall thickness of the SS you're bending?

I hadn't thought to look on McMasters' site. They do seem to carry pretty much everything one can think of. A seller of a similar bender on ebay indicated that it could be upgraded to hydraulic if one so chose.

Also, on the arch you built, what kind of fitting did you use for attachment on the roof? I can't see clearly enough in the photo. Was the fitting angled or did you bend the tubing to fit the roof angle?

Oops, got interested again...

Thanks,

Tom
jflug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - I think the tubing I used was 1/16" thickness, which is plenty heavy enough for a radar arch. It actually makes nice smooth bends with no crimps. Each of the 4 roof attachments is just a small piece of 1/8" ss plate with two 3/8" ss bolts, butt-welded onto the tubing ends. That was the other part of that project, an excuse to go out and buy yet another tool - a MIG welder. I think that wound up being one of my better tool investments; I've used it for lots of other projects.

Jim
Da Nag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool find, Jim - thanks for the tip. As an aside, here's a link to the page in question - the tool is about 1/2 way down the page.

What do you think of the angle gauge on this tool? I'm wondering about repeatability here...is the gauge good enough to give consistent results, or does each bend require a little trial/error?

Another observation...while the tool is relatively inexpensive, it's not cheaper than a set of dies for other models. This tool also has only one bend radius option per tubing diameter. So if one has needs for multiple tubing diameters and/or bend radii, the more expensive models with specific die sets would seem to be more flexible.

But Jim...you're the one with hands-on experience here. Sounds like you only needed 1" capability for the arch, but did you find the single 4" bend radius to be limiting at all?
jflug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill - You're absolutely right about the versatility - The bender only works for one size. But 1" seems to be really standard for most tubing I've seen on C-Dory's; the rails, the radar arches, stern rails, rocket launcher mounts, hand rails, etc. The other consideration for me is shop space - some of these other benders are permanently bolted to the floor, which I can't afford the space for. This thing can just get thrown in the drawer when you're done.

The angle measurement is definitely a bit crude and takes a little practice to get used to. You would want to use a separate, more accurate angle gage to confirm measurements. But once you get it down you can produce pretty consistent results.

I haven't found the 4" radius to be limliting. I haven't tried it yet, but you could probably use the bender to make a series of small bends to come up with a long radius bend - for example a rocket launcher rail that follows the roof radius. Someday when I get the time....

Jim
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Bending SS tubing Reply with quote

There's a guy in my marina, Buddy, who's made no end of SS doo-dads for his huge Hatteras MY. He fills the tubing with sand, fits a clamp of his own construction on one end and uses two very closely spaced utility poles at the marina as a vise. He hooks up the clamped end to his diesel pickup with a chain, lashes the other end between the poles, and slowly works the bend in. moving and pulling a bit at a time. I guess he's limited by the radius of the poles, but that seems to work for the stuff he's built. He does his own welding at a shop somewhere else, maybe where he works. I've only heard about his technique from him, I've never seen it in action. It sounds pretty scary to me, but then the Egyptians built the pyramids. Just an idea.

Mike
therrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only found one reference on the Internet regarding bending stainless tubing without machinery designed for that purpose. Some guy who had work to do for a stage set I believe. He said 'you're gonna get hurt; it's up to you how bad'.

Think I'll stick with machinery or pay someone who does...

I'm not healing as quick as I once did...

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: