The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Current draw of Coleman Polar Cub air conditioner
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:
Have any of you Brat checked the voltage output of the 1000 Honda? At one time I used it to power a Norcold #100 freeze. ( 12 V. or 110 V.ac) I decided to check the voltage. Without a load it was putting out 150 volts. It made me a little nervous so I stopped. My 1000 is 10 to 15 years old, maybe they have a better regulator now? You think? Did the " I " series Hondas fixed that problem?

captd

My guess would be that the voltage regulator requires a small current draw before it can work. Hence the voltage without any load is likely not very reflective of the voltage under a little load and I'd bet that the voltage regulator is very fast. Check it under a minimal load (maybe a high wattage, high resistance resistor and see if the voltage isn't closer to 120V.

Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After searching on the internet for almost the whole day I found this AC unit http://www.kingersons.com/qwa7500m.html It appears to be perfect for what I need. It's rated at 7,500 btu's which should be plenty for my 23CC. It is very efficient so it only draws 6 amps! My Honda 1000 will probably be able to run it in eco mode. I can use this at home when I want and take it on the boat once a year when I need it. Best of all no new holes in the boat. I've read reviews on line for this AC and they are all good. I'll let you guys know how it works.

While looking at AC's for my boat I found some good info that I thought others with Honda 2000's would like to know. If you want a big efficient rooftop mounted AC it looks like the Coleman Mach 3 Power Saver is the way to go. It's rated at 13,500 btu's and only takes 10.5 amps to run on high. This appears to be the most effecient and largest AC that the Honda 2000 will run.

I'm not sure how long these regular RV units last in a marine environment. If anyone knows I would be interested to know. Coleman also makes a Sea Mach AC that is marinized. It has stainless and plastic parts along with other modifications to make is last longer in the marine environment. The down side is it needs 14.9 amps on high to create 13,500 btu's. This is really pushing it with the Honda 2000. On paper it looks like it will work.

Good luck all,
Bill[/url]
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the start-up curent draw on an AC unit is much higher than the current draw when running continuously. Dr. Bob had a figure on it one one of the AC threads, and I think it was a variable (depending on the individual unit) something on the order of 1.8-2.5 times the running current.

I'll look to see if I can find it.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Best Day

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf, I believe you are right. Most people say start up draws 1.8 times the running amps. Hopefully the generator will run it with no problems. I'll start the generator with eco off, then start the AC on low. Once it is up and running I should them be able to put the generator in eco mode to save fuel. If the Honda 1000 can't start it then I plan on adding a couple of capacitors. That should solve the problem.

Bill
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt D--I wonder about your Honda 1000? I suspect that it is not a modern Honda EU 1000i (alternator/inverter) unit, since I do not believe that these units have been built for over 10 years (if that). Both my 2000i and 1000i idle no load at 120 volts. I had an older 350 watt Honda generator, which did have a higher voltage no load, but it would come down with any load applicaton.

You just have to try the EU 1000 units on 7 amp loads--often they will not operate start up loads on eco throttle mode, even if they will handle the load at full speed. The reason seems to be that the engine can not bring the alternator output/engine speed up fast enough--the voltage drops, current rises, and the breaker trips.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Best Day

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, talking about starting loads on the Honda 1000. There is a guy on the iboats forums that uses a Honda 1000 to run a regular thru the window 8000 BTU AC. That should give hope to people with the Honda 1000 that want to run larger AC units.

I went to Best Buy and Sears last night looking at AC units. I looks like the most energy efficient 8000 BTU AC's they sell have an EER rating of 10.8. That means a running load of 740 watts or 6.73 amps. I don't know what the starting load is. I doubt they spend the money on capacitors to make the starting load less.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: