City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I personally think that the center post has a prupose--and there must have been a reason. One could put in an overlap from one of the doors to close the gap, and perhaps put secondary compression posts on the inside, so that baskets could be used when both doors (and center post are open)--but the center post, distributes the weight--from an engineering standpoint--over a lot of the floor space, and I suspect that is why it was done. I also wondered about it--and there may still be ways around it--as in putting more large drawers...it only takes money!

Bob, do you still feel that the center post is necessary? I was thinking that 3/4" Decraguard has a lot of lateral (not sure if that is the right term) strength to support the cabinet top.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours has the center post too. Not a big problem as I can get around that aesthetically. I like the bottom pot/pan storage idea w/ the fold down access, but w/ the center post in the way, it's useless. I'm not totally confident in the stability of the span, as built, without the center post, so I've left it as is for now. The cabinet is merely put together with "L" brackets and screws; not exactly a strong joint. Rolling Eyes

My plan: remove the top and make a new one with formica, moving the Wallas and sink forward in the process, adding a soap dispenser and storage in the now increased rear area and finishing off the backsplash. At that time I'll look into re-enforcing the front cabinet, probably with blocking, glue etc, so I can eliminate the center post.

I don't think removing it would weaken it under normal use, but should you lean on it or put a lot of weight on it...

Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea on the Formica Mark, I have been looking at that also, certainly would be inexpensive to do and a wide selection of color/and style choices to brighten up the cabin.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and Brenda wrote:
Good idea on the Formica Mark, I have been looking at that also, certainly would be inexpensive to do and a wide selection of color/and style choices to brighten up the cabin.

Thanks. That was my thinking; it's just too "white" in there. It's almost sterile. Laughing I've got a partial sheet of dark brown/black "granite" my son gave me. They used it in his house and it was extra, so the builder left it in the garage. Might even be enough for the dinette table too, but I'll have to measure.

Once that is done I'll look at storage. I'll probably just add shelves of some kind. Meredith likes the tubs; low tech, tough and you can pull them out of the boat if need be.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,
I think that you could engineer a stronger top --as Local Boy suggests, and do away with the center posts. You probably could get away with removing it--as long as you didn't get the wood on the top wet, or put a lot of weight on it. As pointed out, this is just "L" brackets and screws--not glued and laminated up.--I recently purchased a RV--about the same year as my Tom Cat--some of the movable plywood shelves were bowed--they were shorter across than the galley of the Tom Cat (about 3 x 3 feet square). This was easily solved by epoxying "strong backs" out of 1x2 or 1x3" lumber on the under side--and staining these to match the other wood. If I was removing the support in the center of the Tom Cat galley, I would glue 1x3 pieces under in the front and back--that should give enough support.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: