View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Galley Storage in Tom Cat 255/ C D 25 Reply with quote

We are at the point of tackling the storage area under the galley. In the Tom Cat 255, this is somewhat complicated by the extra hoses from the macerator, Shower, the sink/hotwater heater overflow and the Wallas stove fuel.

I have run thru the albums and see the baskets from Home Depot--about 12" wide (Doors on galley are slighty over 14", but there is a fair amount of space below the kick board--so that is sort of "wasted"- (TP and paper towel storage?)--have to be able to get to the pumps under the floor in the the hull.

At this point Marie thinks that we would be best with a single shelf about 12" down from the Wallas bottom, cantalevered to mate with the sink, but removable. Cutouts for hoses and set back from the fuel for the stove.

We would then use plastic containers for storage. The plate/cup storage teak rack we purchased from H L Teak--is too wide (it would have been ok on the CD 22)--so we are cutting it down (tears) and will use that on the foreward galley door. We have a "binocular rack" for bowels and small plates on the aft door.

We are open to other suggestions or storage which has worked well for others.

Thanks!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thataway

We're still resolving water leaks in the plumbing in that area but look forward to ideas for this VERY LARGE (potentially) area!

Bob Cat
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are partial to these under-galley slide out drawers. They are called Rev-a-Shelf and we bought them from ovisonline.com.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did on my 22 and then also on the current 25. The picture is of the 22. I can't find one I took of the 25. The lower cut-out hinges down for access under the shelf I built.

There are some other pictures of the 22 HERE

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the same idea as on David's old CD22 on our CD25. This works really well, David designed it and the factory built it on both of our CD25s this way.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentleman,
Thank you all so much for sharing the photos. They do give me another option or two! The Tom Cat has a post in the center between the two doors, which causes some limits--but I think that a bottom "shelf, which comes out for access to the hatch, and pumps/connections below the floor, and hinging of the baseboard sections has definate potential. Back to the tapemeasure and pieces of cardboard!

Regards,
Bob Cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dr. Bob

How about we just cut out that middle stanchion support, which makes it very difficult to work under there anyway, and use the shelves that are available? It doesn't look like it will make any difference. Do you sit on your sink/stove top?

Bob Cat
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't work. The factory changed the way they constructed the galley cabinet. When they did mine and others near mine (Pat's also) the cabinet doors came together without the center post. A little later the factory made a change and put in the center post. If you take out the center post the doors would be several inches apart from each other when in the closed position.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I personally think that the center post has a prupose--and there must have been a reason. One could put in an overlap from one of the doors to close the gap, and perhaps put secondary compression posts on the inside, so that baskets could be used when both doors (and center post are open)--but the center post, distributes the weight--from an engineering standpoint--over a lot of the floor space, and I suspect that is why it was done. I also wondered about it--and there may still be ways around it--as in putting more large drawers...it only takes money!

Incidently I dropped by the local electronics shop to get some ferrite beads (have some interference from the Lowrance LCX 26 on the vhf radios)--and asked "how much to install the cheapest Raymarine Autopilot" Answer " 16 hours at $100 an hour!"....Needless to say, if I put in a pilot, I do it my self! I hate to think how much I have "cost" myself in the last 2 months!. The Bimini and camper enclosure is on its way (frame is up anyway)--so I'll have reports on that next week.

Thanks!
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway

We use plastic containers below the galley. Two large ones and three smaller ones, from Walmart. Dixie also uses containers under the rear dinette seat.

While on the summer cruise we determined that the reversible seat was just not used, so I had the factory remove it, and installed another cabinet on the port side front. Where the foot space is for the "Barber Chair". This adds another 24" or so base cabinet. I put in two shelves, and with the top giving more counter space, it looks to be a welcome addition. The boat has always been a little starboard side heavy, the new cabinet may allow us to more evenly distribute the load. I will get pix, and post them soon.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Bob Cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at this space on Dive Cat this morning, remembering the difficulty I've had replacing watermaker filters and adding shower water supply for the transom shower. I'm going to cut out the upright and put a backer behind one of the cabinet doors so it fills in the space. I can't see any reason for the upright since the CD25 has the same weight on top. I'll start looking for the basket drawers to put in there.

This fully utilized space combined with the cabinet space that Discovery put ahead of the seat on the port side will provide a lot of extra storage.

Bob Cat
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the idea of putting a storage area in the area in front of the helm seat. After playing around with my sitting positions, I realized I sometimes semi/sit with my feet on the floor, in this area. By folding down the back of the seat, this acts like a "leaning post" which I use on my center console boat. I think I will put an area outboard of where I can stand, for spotlights, my ditch bag, and perhaps the temporary docking line--open so I can grab all of these easily. Either a solid piece of starboard for the inner aspect of this, or several teak battens.

I have modified the H L combination silver, plate and cup rack, to be 13 1/2 " wide, and this is just barely the geometry which will fit thru the opening behind the door, when mounted. Unfortunaely we loose the cup holder part, but it gives us a place for spatchlas, large spoons etc.

Let us know how the enlarged door works, Bob.

Regards,
C-Roamer

City/Region: Skagway
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Roamer
Photos: C-Roamer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone remembered the size or part numbers of the Rev-a-Shelf wire baskets and the door mounted shelves for a TC? Thanks.
"Red Cloud", American Tug 34, 2006 - 2010
"Jesse James", Eaglecraft 28, 2003 - 2006
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Discovery (hi Brent and Dixie), I use large plastic containers (with lids) on the existing shelves. We find them very convenient, just hold the lid back as you slide the container out. I have three of them under the galley, just not under the sink. Sorry, don't have a picture handy, but will take one when I get a chance. This system has worked for us for 7 yrs now and I don't plan on changing them.

Now, for under the passenger seats, I may have to build in some special slide-outs as others have done, and possibly under the captain's chair to maximize those spaces. All very good ideas!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brand of the baskets we have is Rev-A-Shelf. Here is the site that we ordered from. I don't see precisely the same one, but just measure your space and compare to their specs. However, we are thinking about replacing them now, as the marine environment has not been kind to them. If I were to put these in now, I would for sure spay the heck out of the exposed sliding parts with BoeShield.

dbrena wrote:
Just wondering if anyone remembered the size or part numbers of the Rev-a-Shelf wire baskets and the door mounted shelves for a TC? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: