GaryPalsgrove

City/Region: Montross, Potomac River
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Song
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Farewell Reply with quote

C-Rapture is no more!

My wife and I had to watch as Ernesto tore our C-Dory 25 "C-Rapture" from the boat lift, bending the steel I Beam in the process, dash her up against the Rip-Rap before finally flipping her over and totally destroying her. As you can imagine, it was a traumatic experience.

By the time (eight hours later) Ernesto decided to leave our back yard, C-Rapture was no more. Only the lower portion was still there. She was salvaged and towed away. Another not-to-be-forgotten experience.

I had moved her to the back of the lift, raised the lift to the highest level and tied her down with half inch lines before leaving for a doctors appointment. Since we had received no weather warnings beyond "possible thunder storms", I thought she would be ok.

Lesson learned: Any named storm will now be considered a Hurricane and appropriate avoidance taken. All C-Dory owners in hurricane prone areas are advised to follow suit. I want no one to go thru what we did.

Gary Palsgrove
Crying or Very sad
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary-

So sorry to hear about your boat! Hope your insurance takes care of everything, though I know they can't eliminate the trauma you went though. We out here on the West Coast don't fully understand how powerful the hurricanes and tropical storms are back in the Gulf and East Coasts. Let us know if there's amything we can do to help out.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lord! Here we have not even heard of Ernesto (or at least some of us). I see it has been in the news a little by Googling it. What a gruelsome description! Very sorry, hope you had replacement value insurance!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, that would not be enjoyable. Hopefully, when boating season rolls around again, this will all just be a bad memory
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reports on the GL list, Ernesto sunk at least 10 large cruisers and who knows how many smaller boats (from one location listed). Sorry to hear your boat was lost -- but there's nothing like shopping for the new boat! Mr. Green Get right back in the saddle!

As for hurricanes for those not familiar -- just rev the car up anywhere over 100 mph and jump out. Now do that for 10 hours straight, and you'll have it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about your loss the the C Dory 25! We certainly understand, haveing been hit with three major hurricanes in the last two years. Even though a storm has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm or depression it is still extremely dangerous. There can be microbursts or cells with winds well in excess of hurricane force. This is something which is fairly common in the South.

We do not leave our boats on the lift. Either anchor out in a protected area, using 4 anchors designed for 40 to 50 footers, and 8 to 10 lines to shore--pilings, trees etc, or we put the boat on the trailer and get out of dodge. We then get the boat and trailer into a secure area. For example one place we have found is the loading dock of a Wal Mart. The Wal Mart is long shut down, and we just back down into the pit in the lee of the building--there are usually some substantial railings to use for tiedowns.

If we are out in the open, (away from structures and trees) we keep the truck attatched, deflate the tires on the trailer to about 50% capacity, head the rig directly into the wind, and put the trailer sand screw fasteners into the ground--the ones we have are about 3' long and about 8" in diameter. You dig a small hole to start them, and then turn with a pipe wrench and cheater bar if necessary to screw them down into the ground. Use webing straps across the boat and trailer both for and aft.

We get at least 10 miles inland and at a height of at least 50 feet above mean water. These storms can do hellacious damage.

Again, sorry for your loss!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI GARY,
SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR MISFORTUNE.
BEING AN INSURANCE AGENCY OWNER, WITH 34 YEARS EXPERIENCE,
I CAN TELL YOU BOATING IS A VERY HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENT. I CAN'T RECALL ONE BOAT WHICH RAN A PROFITABLE LOSS RATIO. REMEMBER THE LINE, "ON THE WATER THE TIME BETWEEN LIVING THE EASY LIFE AND DISASTER, IS BUT A MOMENT".
HOPEFULLY, YOUR CARRIER WILL MAKE YOU WHOLE AGAIN, AND THE HUNT WILL BE ON FOR THAT NEXT NEW BOAT. DID SOMEBODY SAY, 25-C-RANGER?
BEST REGARDS
PATRICK
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A moment of silence for C-Rapture. My profound sympathies.
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary;
I too am sorry for your loss. I know how much love and care we all have put into our C-Dorys. Such a loss does leave a certain void. But, as has been implied/said before, it is a time to reflect and grow. Remember the wonderful times you had and look forward to the wonderful times ahead.

Langford Gathering awaits your arrival in another new C-Dory next year. Think of the new advances the factory has all setup just for you to display for us ol'folks. We can't have one of the 'C clan family not there to par-take of all those crabs and song.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
hammerhead

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: I feel your pain Reply with quote

I am so sorry to hear about your beloved C-Dory we too lost our boat the Hammerhead; only to thieves on labor day in front of our own home Cry .

I hope the Insurance makes it right as can be, I know by our loss that its so much more than a boat. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and hope to see you on the water some day with the joy we know so well that only comes from time on the water in a craft you love with friends and family Hot .

Smooth seas and great times to you my freind

Doug and Gianna Carroll aka Hammerhead
Sacramento California

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnation Gary, I didn't even get to see her! For those that don't know, Gary and Wayne (on PASSAGES) are cohorts in the USCG Aux, Wayne being a Flotilla Commander and Gary his XO up aways in the Potomac from us. ERNESTO caught everyone here by surprise, we were up in our Northern VA home, not here at the river. Our boats were both in the water, lines doubled up, extra fenders. The C-Dory was fine, I use mooring whips to keep it away from the pier. The water was 3 Feet over the TOP of the pier. The sailboat (A Gloucester 22) broke her stern lines and was swinging away from the pier by her one remaining bow line which probably saved her. Otherwise, she'd have come down on the pier. Lots of trees down, probably 12 big Oaks and Hickorys, just laid down by the 65mph+ winds. We had 8+ inches of rain in 36 hours, things were waterlogged.

Just north of here in the Coan River, one marina was wrecked, many boats totalled and over 100 piers destroyed. This was as bad or worse (worse here at my place) than ISABEL two years ago when I lost 30 big trees. No damage to anything but my shed....

Here it was in 2003 just before being placed on its foundation...

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CaptainsChoice&id=DSCN0589&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

It's now two sheds....

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CaptainsChoice&id=Ernesto_Damage_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

OK, why won't the pictures work! They are the last two in my album. Help someone...

Anyway Gary, I hope the insurance guys come through for you, my shed was worth about $4000, and wouldn't you know it, that's just about my deductible....Insurance here costs about $1400 a year too....

Let us know what you plan to do when you get over this terrible thing. I take things like that very personally, why me (why you?). You try to do everything right and sometimes it just doesn't work! Unlove Unlove Sad

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary:

I was sort of feeling sorry for myself. I lost a brand new dock box that was bolted down to the dock in Kinsale. We are in the process of starting a house and moving to Kinsale in the next year or so. Then my buddy took me for a spin to see some of the damage done by Ernesto. Docks destroyed! A few boats lost. No one expected it! Then your post. So sorry to hear about your loss. Luckily, Swee Pea was on her trailer in Spotsylvania.

Somebody down the river (Yocomico) has a 25' C-Dory, unamed. It was still afloat.

Best of luck to you. Hope the insurance company comes through. Since it is so new, shouldn't they pay full replacement?

John
Swee Pea
GaryPalsgrove

City/Region: Montross, Potomac River
Vessel Name: C-Song
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Farewell Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts concerning the loss of C-Rapture. Your prayers and wishes help more then you know.

The good news is that my wife and I have made a decision to get back in the saddle. We enjoyed the too short experiences on C-Rapture so much we have decided to buy another C-Dory 25. When the insurance payment is received we will be back on the water.

Looking forward to meeting many of you at next years gatherings.

Gary Palsgrove
Thumbs Up
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, Wayne had told me you decided to order a new one! Glad of it, hope to meet you tomorrow when you patrol with him down the river near where we are on Cod Creek! Very Happy

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: