View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff_e_d

City/Region: Snohomish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Mirth
Photos: Miss Mirth
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: San Juan Island Reply with quote

Made it out to San Juan Island on Labor Day weekend. Came back with 4 kings and 1 sockeye (1st one caught out of the salt). Stopped in Garrison Bay on Saturday and thanks to a "very nice" guy who returned my camera....left it on the dock---thanks again Rick, I was able to post these pictures.

On Monday coming home, got my 1st chance to take the Miss Mirth through some big swells coming in off the straits and the boat did great. The radar, gps and compass took a lot of the worries out of the fog element too. See photos below

My-Photos

Last edited by Jeff_e_d on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:36 pm; edited 6 times in total
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking fish.

If you don't put the [ & ] at the begining or end of your URL the link will work.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SanJuans9-2-06&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

To shorten it, you would use the following code
Code:
 [url=http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SanJuans9-2-06&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php]My-Photos[/url]

"My_Photos" in the above code can be anything you want. It will show up as your link like this.
My-Photos

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff_e_d

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks,
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I was bound and determined to go down to Puget Sound to catch some silvers. We decided to boat down to Possession, water & weather were beautiful but alas, no fish. Sad Should have stayed "home" (boat stored at Twin Bridges) and fished the San Juans. Congrats on the beautiful fish. If you care to share where you caught the fish, you can PM me.

Peter
(newly obsessed Salmon Fisherman Razz )
Chubby Bunny

Vessel Name: Jenny G
Photos: Jenny G
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: San Juan Island Reply with quote

Jeff_e_d wrote:
The radar, gps and compass took a lot of the worries out of the fog element too.

We made the run from Friday Harbor to Ballard on Monday as well. Did you find your radar to be as useful as your GPS and compass in that fog? Since we both experienced the same conditions and I don't have radar, I'm curious as to whether you thought it was a "nice to have" or a "must have" for those conditions.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice fish.

c-dancer we did not catch any silvers either. I have learned in the last couple of days what we ,and probably you, did wrong. We fished too shallow. All the folk that did good for silvers this weekend trolled at 125 to 150 ft deep. The surface temp was almost 60 degrees. I should have keyed in on this and fished deeper, but had it in my mind that silvers are shallow running fish.

Jeff_e_d

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem sharing details. This is what I posted on Piscatorial Pursuits:

"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I started at Eagle Pt and found a pod of fish and stayed on them on Saturday night. I was about 1/2 mi out in deeper water than most of the boats hugging the shore. On Sunday we just trolled with the tide right up the island and the bites were spread out more.

On Saturnday evening (high tide change), all the fish hit a hootchie @ 75' deep, herring strip behind a glow hotspot 32" leader. On Sunday morning afternnon, the coyote spoon started working about 115' down.

On Monday, it was too rough for me to fish and I just headed back to Deception pass. Love how that C-Dory handles in the rough water. While in Cornett Bay, I heard some reports of big silvers being taken just inside the bridge by "the hole."

I tried trolling Skatig bay on Monday briefly but no fish and almost got run over by the fleet coming back to Puget Sound."

On Monday, the fog wasn't too bad as it seemed there was up to 1/2 mi vis. Many a time up there the fog is much worse and when your going thru a narrow place like Deception pass, it's nice to see that moving dot coming at you on your radar screen. Getting the land profile doesn't hurt either. That said, if the equipment didn't come on my boat I'm not sure that I would rush out and buy new radar.

While in Cornett Bay, I also heard that a jumper went off the bridge and the search and rescue boats were out there looking for him.

Good Fishin'
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Jeff_e_d.

And you're probably right about the depth, Tom. I didn't think about that.

Peter
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coho do run deep sometimes. I've caught them down to 600' in the middle of the Straits. I sometimes go to long leaders for the Kings if things are slow - 6' - 7', which makes landing a slab an exercise in frustration.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: