The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Porta Potti
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate Leonard

City/Region: Locke
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Porta Potti Reply with quote

Hi all;
New to the group and new C-Dory owner - 16' 2002 cruiser. Porta Potti question before I buy one. It appears that only the smallest model (27 flush version) will fit ok in the V of the berth. Even this looks like it wants to sit at an angle as the front side looks like it will sit on the raised flooring of the wheel house and the back on the hull. I can always add something to raise the back.
I'd like to get the largest model that doesn't mess with the bunk insert. Like to hear about recommended models.
Anyway - I am certain there is plenty of experience and advice available and appreciate any replies.
I live in Central NY (Locke), near Cayuga Lake. Will be running on the Erie canal and Lake Ontario. Thinking about a September cruise on the Erie and maybe across Lake Ontario for a short look up the Rideau Canal (saving the full run on that for some time in the future). Also in the future will be the Trent-Severn canal. Lots of dreaming...

Thanks in advance,

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be a solution?

$28

http://www.afmo.com/Hassok_Portable_Toilet_p/218-00104.htm
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 16' cruiser came with what has to be the smallest model of porta potti. It works okay. It sits on the floor, under the V fine. At night we take it out and put it in the cockpit. Sometimes we run with it under the motor well when I don't need the space for additional fuel. Sounds like you are in some prime cruising country. Hope to get there in a few years.
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Portapotty Reply with quote

Hi'
Welcome to the C-Dory world. I know you will have fun. Depending where you cruise a small potty is not a really bad thing. You will use the Erie Canal a lot and one of the best places to dump are the Jiffy Johns located at some of the locks.

The smaller tank is easy to carry to the John. We have also dumped at regular toilets many times. Just be sure you are equipped to clean up in case of a splash, i ALWAYS CARRY A BOTTLE OF WINDOW CLEANER AND A FEW PAPER TOWELS.

Another hint-- don't put paper in the head--if you didn't eat it it should not go in the head. We keep a supply of zip lock bags next to the head and just bag the paper. This makes a big difference in easy dumping.

If you desire a larger unit measure and then visit a Boat US store and buy the largest that will fit. Note we keep the filler cushion out of the berth execept when we are sleeping then the head is always ready to go.

I hope my ideas make sense to you .

Fred and Pat Red Lion, Pa.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nate,
When we had our 16' Cruiser the porta potti we had fit in the semi-enclosed area under the helm seat. (If was then removed when needed).

C-Brat #16
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: My Two Cents Reply with quote

Nate:

I picked up this lead from your post re the Erie Canal cruise.

We have 30+ years experience with porta-pottis (we currently have three), so I thought I would jump over here and respond to your inquiry.

My wife and I regularly use a porta-potti at our cottage. We can go 2-3 weeks on one tank! So I don't believe you need the biggest you can find.

I recently traded the larger porta-potti that came with our C-Dory for the smaller (Coleman) potti we had in our cottage. It has four inches less height, and allows me headroom (at 6' tall) to sit on it in the V-berth (see photo in my sub-album, Various Ideas).

A couple of added pointers. (1) For men, it works best to kneel before the potti to urinate (that way, no splashing). This posture also works well in the C-Dory, for covenience and privacy. (2) Whenever possible, it is better to use the potti only for urination. This usually reduces the smell factor to a non-issue, and dramatically prolongs the usage between emptyings. (The converse is also true!)

Wayne
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

First I want to say that the portiPotti is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

I started with the 13" PortiPotti when I first purchased my 22' 1983 C dory. I changed over to the bigger one because it was more comfortable to sit on then the shorter one. It also carried more -----. It came with a place to insert a hose from pumpout stations with out asking for it at the back of it.. In fact it was built in the PorttiPotti but the directions did not mention it at all. Dun has the same PortiPotti and showed me an extension hose so the the pumping can be done through the forward hatch. I am in the process of anchoring the PortiPotti so I can get at the pumpout feature without taking the tank out of the boat.

As for cleanup. I use the treated paper HandiWipes for all types of cleanup including washing my face and hands. Easy to use and saves on the water supply. I also use Freebreeze to keep my cushions smelling fresh. The other great product is Cinch. Cleans the galley and the glass. We use lots of it at the Inn.

Someone mentioned the subject of whether a man should stand or sit. On the older (pre 1986) boats, it is easy to stand. Plenty of room. On the later models, it is hard to stand in that the PortiPotti's are under the deck. When I stand, I use a bucket. Easier to flush and clean.

Thank You.

Fred

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new approach:

http://www.potties.com/adult.htm

I can definitely see a use for something like this. I've never been fond of a "Porta-Potty" for casual day trips.

Oh, it comes in child sizes as well.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a space saver, however would certainly be a crappy deal if it sprung a leak at the wrong time. Crook
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, it's your turn to blow it up.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd prefer the security of the earlier, rigid walled model!

But it just goes to show......

"True Genius Has No Bounds"...........Confuseus

Joe, on terra firma, so to speak..

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the information by Milehog and myself in our two "posts", I'm thinkin' that I'll "pass" on this nifty adjunct to my vessel..........Don, it's all yours......since you're a submariner, you're probably more adept at using such a device.... Laughing
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
Don, it's all yours......since you're a submariner, you're probably more adept at using such a device.... Laughing

Indeed. Heads up, Dave, Submarine lesson follows.

If you've ever owned an RV (or a CD-25) you know what a "holding tank" is, AND you know what a ball valve is. That's the "flush" valve on RV toilets that open directly over and into the holding tank. Gravity does the work both in flushing the toilet and emptying the holding tank on RV's.

Submarines use the same principle and type of ball valve on their toilets. (four inch size though) My Polaris boat class had 2100 gallon tanks. Emptying those tanks at, say, 300 ft underwater is a very simple albeit dangerous process. Remember, water pressure against the hull at 300 ft. is roughly 140 PSI. whereas air pressure inside the hull is 14.7 psi. Gravity sucks under those conditions.

To empty the tank, a sailor goes around and shuts every valve that drains into the holding tank, including the toilet flush valves, posts a BIG sign that says "Secured, blowing Sanitaries", then pressurizes the holding tank to about 10 psi higher than seawater pressure (150 psi in our example). He then opens up a big discharge valve at the bottom of the tank and literally blows the contents to sea, remembering to shut the valve just before it's fully empty so as to not release a giant sub fart.

Once that's done, our intrepid sailor has a tank full of 150 lb. air, so he must slowly bleed that air back into the boat (through charcoal filters that don't work too well) while the air compressors work to recycle the air back into the high pressure tanks.

Once everything is back to atmospheric pressure, he opens all the valves again, removes the signage and the cycle begins anew.

BZZZT The problem is that blonde sailors, Force Recon Marines and downed pilots exist. Should a young man relieve himself, not notice the sign and open that 4" ball valve with the tank pressurized, he will instantly wear his mistake as he leans over, pulls the lever, and is greeted by his own "discharge" backed by 150 lbs worth of force. Shocked

Happens at least once per patrol.

Don
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Leaking? Reply with quote

By the way...it is almost impossible for the simple Pota-potti to leak. The base, walls and top are typically molded as one piece.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don --
Your description of 'dumping the tank' on a submarine has now made my dumping the porta-potti a simple and brainless task -- thanks!!

And you have now added a new dimension to our observation of a 'fart' we once observed when well offshore Georgia -- we assumed a whale or decomposing gases in the sea floor -- instead, since there is a sub base just inshore, it might have been ... oh, never mind ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: