The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory Rodeo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: C-Dory Rodeo? Reply with quote

With all the confusion and uncertainty regarding gas mileage on the various C-Dory models and different engine combinations, it might be fun to add a new dimension and get some good solid data production at one of the better attended C-Brat get-togethers where we have all the models and many of the engine combinations present.

One one day of the meet, a course should be selected that contains a representative amount of travel at all speeds and conditions, then traveled by all boats, noting speed and fuel comnsumption rates where fuel management systems are available. Boats should be run at their most efficient speeds, meaning that the T-Cats might have to cover the course quicker to stay in that range.

At the end, the boats should be filled up and final mileage calculations made.

A standard report form should be filed by each participant noting speeds, times, and rates of consumption (where possible), and final mileage overall.

While there may be some limitations in this concept, it would provide better comparative data than we now have where the conditions and other variables make sorting out the basic differences difficult.

As such it might just provide a benchmark study that would serve as a real reference point for some time to come.

What do you all think (y'all to Byrdman)?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it as long as I can be the rodeo clown! That shouldn't be too much of a stretch for me Wink
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Joe - gotta figure some way to weigh each boat tho, because that's the most siginificant variant!!

Dusty

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty-

Don't know if any other commercial scale would be capable of weighing boats on a sling, like we used to do on dinghy sailboats, but the boats could be weighed on a truck scale on the trailer, then the trailers weighed separately.

Most folks don't probably realize how much excess weight costs them in fuel or speed, but maybe this test would really open some eyes!

I new a dinghy sailboat racer that drilled out the center of the wood screws in his boat to lighten it, one long, cold, midwestern winter!

Joe.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fine idea Joe.
weight sure does play a big role in performance...man I noticed a big difference since we started packing only light beer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: