The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help with manual head!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good question...does anyone know the dimensions of the enclosed head on the C-Ranger? I will measure the dimensions on Daydream. It fits very well in the CD25. I had to build a little support for the liquids tank, but that was it...

drjohn71a wrote:
Say, Pat, I was thinking of following your lead on the Airhead, but looking at the dimensions on their site, do you think an Airhead toilet will fit into the C-Ranger 25 head compartment? From what I can see, it looks like the head itself is angled from the back corner. Would there be room to open the doors or drawers or crank in there?

John

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative to the air-head is a composting marine head made by the Sun-Mar company http://www.mtlion.com/sunmar/marine.htm

It's similar to the airhead, but doesn't have a seperate liquids (urine) tank. Everything goes into the composting tank. To deal with the added liquid burden, the sun-mar head is fitted with an evaporative heater, which runs while on shorepower. I kind of think it looks better than the air-head. Haven't gone that route yet myself, but I may someday.

Jim
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Airhead, the separation of solids and liquids is a KEY operating principle of the composting toilet. Even without mixing liquids and solids, the solids have plenty of moisture in them. The little fan is constantly drying the solids, which hastens the composting process. Obviously, the faster the solids compost the better. Wet solids = foul odor (trust me on this one, I didn't want to go into the details, but that was the problem at the Bellingham CBGT - the old guys who brought my boat back from Alaska had lost the vent cap, and a fair amount of water had gotten into the solids tank down the vent tube). I suppose a heavy duty heater would do the job too, but it seems like the Sun Mar approach creates its own problem that it then has to solve. The little fan on the Airhead is an 80 milliamp 12 volt job that runs 24 / 7, and draws so little current as not to matter with our two 60 amp hour AGM house batteries.

Aiviq wrote:
An alternative to the air-head is a composting marine head made by the Sun-Mar company http://www.mtlion.com/sunmar/marine.htm

It's similar to the airhead, but doesn't have a seperate liquids (urine) tank. Everything goes into the composting tank. To deal with the added liquid burden, the sun-mar head is fitted with an evaporative heater, which runs while on shorepower. I kind of think it looks better than the air-head. Haven't gone that route yet myself, but I may someday.

Jim
ernie

City/Region: so berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: finz up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to have opened (or closed) all the right valves, but when you try to pump in water to flush, nothing comes in...any ideas?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie,

That has happened to us all, and there is a solution. First, check that water is available to the toilet inlet: is the boat in the water, and is the thru-hull valve turned on? Next is the little valve on the head in the inboard position, (the little grey flipper valve above the pump)? Then pump and is any water coming into the toilet? If not, and your message seems to indicate not, REBUILD THE PUMP. Why not, you're not the only one and the boat is 8 years old.

Since you have a 2004, I assume the toilet is the same as in Journey On, which is the same as any other Jabsco potty. That thing on the side is a double acting pump which pumps water in and poop out. And that lever is actually a finger which holds the check valve of the intake pump open, so no water can be pumped in.

First buy a rebuild kit from Jabsco (via any marine supply house, ~$35), and look at how they go together. Next remove the 6 ea screws at the top of the pump. Look at the assembly you pull out and see if any part is broken. If not clean the piston, cylinder, etc., replace those parts which concern the check valves and any other s you can get to, lube them up with silicone grease and assemble. You probably now have a working pump.

If not replace the toilet with a new one.

Good luck, Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: