The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

sprint 600 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: sprint 600 problem Reply with quote

This is Terraplane Tom...and you know by now that i am double-dum when it comes to the mechanical side of life. My windlass, which has worked flawlessly, suddently is dead. When I engage it and hit the up-down button, nothing. Is it a fuse? If so, where do i find the little bugger...sorry, but admitted ignorance is better than false bravado .

terraplane
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOM-

Your windlass has two "fuses" in it:

1. The direct power supply to the windlass with the very large wires to and from the the windlass and the relay solenoid (big black box on backside of dash) has a circuit breaker which appears as a resettable switch on the dash. It simply flips back to the original position to re-set the circuit breaker.

2. The second fuse is a real fuse. Look at the back side of the up/down switch. There should be three wires, maybe four. Most of them will go to the relay above. One will go back to a power source. It should be red, and in that wire there will be an in-line fuse holder, probabaly white or black plastic. This is your second fuse for the activation circuit.

It's also possible that the last circuit above is directed through a switch panel with a rocker switch, perhaps the factory installed one with seven or so switches to the right of the steering wheel. If checking the two "fuses" above doesn't correct the problem, follow the wire in # 2 to where it gets it's power to see if there's another switch or fuse in the system.

Let us know what you find out!

Good Luck!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My factory installed windlass has a resetable circuit breaker on the forward side of the galley bulkead, just to the right side and behind of the helm seat. If I bring up the windlass too enthusiasticaly and overload it, I pop the breaker. It's an easy reset once you realize it and figure out how to reset the circuit breaker.

Pete in NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: