The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda 90 Lift Ring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Honda 90 Lift Ring Reply with quote

Anyone know where a lift ring for a Honda 90 can be acquired? I've searched the Internet using all the search approaches I can think of and found nothing. The dealers around here seem to think it's a special tool for mechanics only and are reluctant to help. The owner's manual refers to the lift ring as an option.

So far at a dead end...

Tom Herrick
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
I "Searched the World Over" too....just for you and didn't come up with one either. Just in case no one else finds one for you. I would suggest you do it with a little "Redneck Engineering".

1. Remove the Flywheel Bolt and find a matching one and have a lift ring welded to it....or

2. Get a few tie down straps and make a sling for the engine to hang it by.

I have seen both and they both worked great...the 2nd option requires you to have a engine stand near by to give you some piece of mind.

Hope this is of help to you.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke

Last edited by Papillon on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-

Nice name for a boat!

"Redneck Engineering"

Smile Smile Wink Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Coastie Dory
Dealer

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

The lifting ring for the 75/90 Honda can be had from any Mercury dealer. Merc has been using this tool since the 60's. I use it all the time. I think the thread is actually a pipe thread, but I have never verified that. part number is 91-75132.

Good luck, Randy Sheehy.
therrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Randy. We've got some Merc dealers nearby. I'll give them a shout tomorrow.

Tom
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Find out if it is the same one they would use on a Merc 200hp . I have one that I got with my Whaler, and you are welcome to it "Free" if it will work for you.

Mike
therrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. A Honda mechanic told me that Mercury Marine has one made that will work with the Honda 90. I picked on up this morning and it screwed into the flywheel just fine. If anyone else is looking for one, it can be found through a Mercury Marine dealer. It is part number 91-90455T 1 and goes for around $30.

Thanks, folks, for your help in tracking this down. I really didn't want to paint around the engine mount when I repainted the boat.

T
Coastie Dory
Dealer

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The tool should be the same for all Mercurys that use the female threads in the flywheel. I used the part number from a late eighties service manual and I am sure they have superceeded it a couple of times. We have several different "vintages" around the shop and they all work on the 75/90 Honda. The larger Hondas are using a chain /spreader arrangement that we got from Honda which hooks into the engine lifting eyes to balance or level the engine-very nice tool.

If your boat sits low enough on the trailer, you can use a standard automotive engine hoist to remove and install your engine. Otherwise you need an overhead arrangement.

Randy.
therrick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an inexpensive 1-ton engine hoist along with the lift ring. Tried it out last night and it works well. I ended up with a Harbor Freight folding model that should do the job for years as often as I expect to use it. Given today's marine mechanic labor rates it should pay for itself after two uses. It'll be nice to take the engine off the boat and inside the shop to work on it and for over-wintering if I decide not to use the boat during the winter; not likely, though.

T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: