Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow , lots of content in this thread, I wasn't sure if I was still in the fishing forum or thats life. Laughing

But lots of good points by all. I understand where DoD is coming from. Big life changing events can make you reevaluate your current view on life and the filters you see it through. And I agree with some of his points. Thumbs Up As far as all fishing tournament's being stupid. I would disagree on that. I fish in a couple derby's a year and thouroughly enjoy them. In fact the upcoming Edmonds coho derby I print the flyers for for my club. I also do a derby for the blind. Where we take out some people who would never have another chance to fish otherwise and I feel it is a fantastic thing. I also agree with conservation and not always taking your limit. ( although I would tend to blame commercial fishing much more than the sports groups for lack of fish) I like hatcheries because they enable me to keep fishing for salmon which otherwise would be off limits. And usually they have to do a lot of scientific studies on those places to see how they will affect the enviroment. I don't know enough about fish farming to have an educated opinion on that. But overall I would support it, if would slow down the bottom draggers with their nets. Interesting topic though and even more interesting comments.

Fish On

Sark
Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: "I just know that when they offer themselves up to my hook, they do so with the knowledge that they will be freed from terrestial bonds and able to pursue a higher spiritual existence."

I was around some folks in the late 60's and early 70's who had near death experiences like that from overdosing on Laguna Beach Sunshine (LSD).

Most eventually got over it; some never did.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker wrote:
I was around some folks in the late 60's and early 70's who had near death experiences like that from overdosing on Laguna Beach Sunshine (LSD).

Here's a modern day chap who had a near death experience from overdosing on Marlin.

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not scary for me at all. After lutefisk, I hate all cod. I don't even like Cape Cod. Kill them, humanely if possible, but kill them.

The delights of lutefisk as described by a fellow food afficionado:

The moment every traveller lives for is the native dinner where, throwing caution to the wind and plunging into a local delicacy which ought by rights to be disgusting, one discovers that it is not only delicious but that it also contradicts a previously held prejudice about food, that it expands ones culinary horizons to include surprising new smells, tastes, and textures.

Lutefisk is not such a dish.

Lutefisk is instead pretty much what you'd expect of jellied cod; it is a foul and odiferous goo, whose gelatinous texture and rancid oily taste are locked in spirited competition to see which can be the more responsible for rendering the whole completely inedble.

How to describe that first bite? Its a bit like describing passing a kidneystone to the uninitiated. If you are talking to someone else who has lived through the experience, a nod will suffice to acknowledge your shared pain, but to explain it to the person who has not been there, mere words seem inadequate to the task. So it is with lutefisk. One could bandy about the time honored phrases like "nauseating sordid gunk", "unimaginably horrific", "lasting psychological damage", but these seem hollow when applied to the task at hand. I will have to resort to a recipe for a kind of metaphorical lutefisk, to describe the experience. Take marshmallows made without sugar, blend them together with overcooked Japanese noodles, and then bathe the whole liberally in acetone. Let it marinate in cod liver oil for several days at room temprature. When it has achieved the appropriate consistency (though the word "appropriate" is somewhat problematic here), heat it to just above lukewarm, sprinkle in thousands of tiny, sharp, invisible fish bones, and serve.
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Flagold likes cod.
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoD
I must confess that in several of my past occupations I've been a logger, carpenter and a fish farmer for 10 years. The fish we raised were all pacific salmon. Some kings but mostly coho. It was not a small mom and pop organization, it was a division of Campbells soup. We played by all the state and federal rules and took the environment very seriously. When compared to how much fish is processed by most canneries in Alaska we were pretty small potatos at 5 millions pounds of fillets per year.
In 1989 Campbells sold the company to a bunch of wayward Norwegians, they were the ones that screwed up their own water, then went to Scotland and and finally here and Canada.
The international banks that lend money to the fish farms are the ones that have a huge say as to when salmon are harvested. Most of these idiots have never seen a fish nor do they have a care except for the bottom line.
On another note the area that Oldgrowth and I live in celebrates Swede days at the annual midsommer fest. If Flagold wants to have true lutefisk
I'm sure he can find a plate full around here! He can even have my share.
flagold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagold has had all the lutefisk he will have. An annual tradition to get back to our Viking roots -- mandatory until I left home (I ran away very early).

No wonder the Vikings were such fierce people -- their keysters were on fire from expelling the lutefisk (or they were constipated from trying not to expell it).
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new plan to help facilitate payment of boat gas, er, rather, to conserve natural resources. I am designing and marketing a line of Bayliner oar locks and rowing seats. I am hoping that Green Dan can help me with some engineering details before he completely forgets his fact based training.
dogon dory

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
flagold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After eating that once a year in childhood, I can assure you it's not funny . . .

Kill the cod.

Lukefisk:

Take dried cod, fresh cod, old cod, slimey cod, makes no difference at all, and put in water laced with lye for a week. Remove, wash, and put in a pot of boiling water and boil until the bones seperate (so they can better skewer your intestines). Boil new potatoes in the mix (they won't help any with the taste, but at least you can kind of get by with fishing out a potatoe and eating that while the guests deal with the cod). Variations: Take out the cod and potatoes, boil them in milk & butter (arguable whether this makes it better or worse since you've now ruined perfectly good milk & butter) and serve as a soup. Add cheese: I've heard goat's cheese kind of covers up the lye taste, but once I escaped the scandanavian prison I never looked back long enough to experiment further.

Good luck & kill the cod. If you experiment with this on Halibut and it works -- KILL THEM TOO!
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagold
My great grandfather was a tough old Swede, he immigrated to the U.S. in 1896. He ate lots of that nasty ol' lutefisk and apparently survived it ok, he lived until he wes 95, he might have lived longer if he had not eaten the spoiled cod. He always talked about the old country and how good it was. When my Dad asked him why he immigrated to the U.S.. His reply was that he was told to go to hell, so he moved to Minnesota, apparently there was not enough cod there so he moved to Bremerton.
flagold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he might have lived longer if he had not eaten the spoiled cod.

I rest my case . . .

To all who want to try -- eat hearty, healthy, and often (it kills more cod) and sells a lot more beer (to wash away the taste) I suspect. So it's good for the economy.
dogon dory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dogon dory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
flagold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. You'll probably eat a whole lot better now . . . (lobster -- not cod).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: