The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

depression in floor, starboard side, between cabin & coc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimcinfra

City/Region: Crystal Springs, MS
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Delta Belle
Photos: Delta Belle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: depression in floor, starboard side, between cabin & coc Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what is the reason for the depression in the floor under the cabin wall between the cabin and the cockpit? When it rains the water collects here and makes the floor wet in the cabin.

I want to fix this, but I also don't want to do something that would affect something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimcinfra-

The depression and opening are for a bilge pump just inside the cabin wall to pump put the rain and bilge water.

The C-Dory hull design floats in the water such that water runs FORWARD not backward when the hull is at rest in the water.

Getting this water out of the boat that sits essentially in front of the cabin door entrance has been a perplexing problem over the years, with many solutions tried.

For a while at least, the boats were equuipped with this opening and the pump as described as a solution.

Is your factory equipped pump still there, just inside the bulkhead and under the sink?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jimcinfra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is. The pump gets most of the water out, but not the "wetness".

I will leave this alone and let the current system do what it should.

I have thought about getting some Dri-Deck for the cabin floor, but the height of the Dri-Deck is just enough to make my head rub against our air conditioner control panel. Maybe I will cut the "legs" shorter on the Dri-Deck under the a/c.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimcinfra-

Does the water move out from the bilge pump well to the entire cabin floor?

I don't have this featurre in my '87 Cruiser, but surmise that there ought to be a dam or wall around the interior part of the bilge well to keep water from actually entering the cabin proper.

Maybe we need a comment from someone else familiar with this issue?

Joe.
jimcinfra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

The wetness/dampness is near the door.

We first noticed this on our shakedown cruise (in the middle of the night when the carpet near the door was wet) and it caused a couple of heart palpitations (visions of the Titanic) until I figured out that our previous night's shower in the cockpit might have caused the problem.

I will take another look under the sink area to see what going on.

This is not a big problem, I just wanted to know what the deal was concerning the area.

Thanks.
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
jimcinfra-

The C-Dory hull design floats in the water such that water runs FORWARD not backward when the hull is at rest in the water.

Since the day I first put my 22 in the water (then essentially unloaded) this has never been the case. Most water in the cockpit collects in the aft bilge, next to the plug. For this "amidships" bilge pump to work on my boat, there had to be 3-4 inches of water in the cockpit. I also found water would flow into the cabin before the pump would automatically turn on. One of the first things I did was to seal off this amidships bilge from the cockpit and install a bilge pump in the aft bilge.

A benefit to this situation is all fish guts and fluids go to the back of the boat and not adjacent my dining and sleeping area Laughing

I did leave the amidships bilge pump in place. It makes a nice spare, plus might help if I ever take a (small) wave over the transom, sufficiently large to flood into the cabin.
jimcinfra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco,

How did you seal off the area?
Falco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimcinfra wrote:
How did you seal off the area?

Run of the mill 3M clear silicone. I wanted something I could remove if what I was doing proved wrong. After 2 years it leaks a little (I'm talking drops). Another, slightly less removable, but better sealing option, would be 3M 5200. In either case, run a strip of blue painter's tape over the slit on the cockpit side and apply the goop on the bilge side. When mostly dry, remove the tape. This makes a smooth external surface which may be visible if you don't have floorboards. BTW, I don't know what the new deck set up is on later models boats so change this approach as needed if this is your situation.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2004 bilge pump compartment is located in the cabin aisle center and is sort of a "step to the cockpit. The opening to the bilge from the cockpit is in the center under the door. The 99s have the opening in the center under the door but the bilge pump compartment is under the sink ( I think). At some previous time the 22s had the pump under the sink and the opening toward the starboard side. Prior to that the bilge pump compartment was outside the cabin at the starboard side of the cockpit. My history (except 04) is all from this site posts and pics so subject to any and all revision. The type of pump the factory installed also changed from a Rule pump with a built in timer switch to a Rule pump with a built in float switch.

I have two pumps located in the stern. They are the same Rule pumps with a built in float switch as mounted in the midships location. The float switches in these pumps don't activate until they are about two inches deep. My stern pumps have never activated except for testing. My midships pump will activate to pump out rain water or green water. Even when I am in the stern, wtih twins, full fuel, etc. the midship pump will activate first. It has a deeper well and so it activates first. If I am in the cuddy the water always runs to the midships pump first. So I am very glad to have the midships pump and bilge and the stern bilges as an emergency back-up.

I think the worst historical configuration was having the opening to the pump compartment off center. A number of brats invented solutions to that one.

Bilge pumps are also discussed in many other threads including
DoD's manual pump,
The stainless steel super sucker,
Other sucker pumps,
The drain channel beautifully dug into the hull
and some other brat creative solutions. Search is not working for me at present but you should find some help and photos in the forums.

Regards,

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco-

The rear pooling is probably the result of the twin Suzuki 40's @238 lbs each = 476 lbs.

OMC Jonnyrude 70= 257 (This is the motor the 22 hull was designed for)

OMC Johnnyrude 90= 301

Single Suzuki 70= 335

Pair Yamaha 40's= 362

Single Yamaha 75/90= 369

Single Honda 75/90= 384

Pair Honda 40's/50's= 406

Single Yamaha 115= 402-418 (varies with year)

Single Suzuki 90/115= 416

Pair Yamaha 50's= 466

Pair Suzuki 40/50's= 476

Single Honda 115= 496

All but the first two are four stroke engines.

They average 412 lbs, which is 155 lbs heavier than the CD-22 hull was designed for (!)

No wonder so many folks find trim tabs so useful.

Wonder at what weight (adding batteries, electronics, etc.) the boat on the average starts running water to the rear (aft) at rest???

Joe.
Falco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Falco-

The rear pooling is probably the result of the twin Suzuki 40's @238 lbs each = 476 lbs.

They average 412 lbs, which is 155 lbs heavier than the CD-22 hull was designed for (!)

Could well be, Joe.

I wonder why the factory would install engines (inlcuding my twin 40 Suzi's) if they exceed capacities.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, doesn't exceed capacity - just changes the design trim/balance of the boat. A whole covey of these 22 rascals (mine included) with more weight aft than the original design are running around safely (I hope).

Not to worry! Who me??? Rolling Eyes

Dusty

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the weights posted above don't include the 75-115 lbs added to the singles by kicker motors!

Falco- I'm not sawying that all these options are out of order/too heavy, just that they are often heavy enough to change the balance and even the waterline of the boat.

Most encouragingly, the factory recently upgraded the rating for the CD-22 from 100 to 115 hp, so the boat is strong enough for the power and weight, it just balances differently.

Joe.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those motor weights are "dry weights" which do not include props or fluids either . A stainless or aluminum prop and 6 or 10 quarts of oil add some weight to those numbers as well .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: