View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Undocking Technique Reply with quote

Twice, I have found myself in a situation where the wind was blowing our C-Dory up against the dock alongside. How does one get away from the dock in such a situation?

Once, I asked my wife to push off from the cockpit...which was the wrong thing to do! Pushing the stern away from the dock aimed the bow directly into it..and exacerbated our situation greatly (which, by the way, was my fault, not hers!).

I do have twin engines, and have wondered if they could be used (in the right combination) in such a situation?
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My technic to get away from a leeward dock is to push the boat out midship so that the whole boat is at leat 1ft away. Then I quickly back away before the wind can blow the bow back into the dock.

If the wind is too strong for that my next option is to just hand-line the boat to the end of the dock and push off from there and back away. You probably need 2 people for this.

If it is not possible to move to the end of the dock you might be able to use a spring line. I have NOT TRIED THIS with my C-Dory but have done it with sailboats. With an outboard on the back I would only use a spring line to pivot around the bow.

To do it you take a bow line from the boat to a cleat on the dock toward the stern. You don't tie to the cleat but pass the line around the cleat then back to the bow cleat. You will need someone on the bow or in the hatch to handle this spring line. They hold the line on the bow cleat so it doesn't slip while you power forward. This will rotate the boat around the bow.

You will need to make sure the bow will not get marred by the dock or the anchor catch/hit anything like a power outlet/water facet. When the stern is far enough from the dock have the person on the line release the free end pull the line from around the dock cleat back onboard. At the same time you are backing away from the dock into the wind.

For pictures of how this works you can check Chapmans or Annapolis seamanship books.

Hope this helps,
Steve
jdaycpa

City/Region: BIDDEFORD
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: DAY-DREAMER
Photos: Day-Dreamer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in a really tight spot and have wind and/or tide against you, the spring line can be a big help. First, decide which end of the boat you want to go out first. Secure a line to a cleat on the other end of the boat, run the line to the dock (through or around a ring or cleat, but NOT tied to the dock), and back to the same cleat. Secure the line to the same boat cleat, and run the engine slowly so that the other end of the boat inches away from the dock. When you create enough clearance, loose one end of the line from the cleat and draw it back for the dock, while continuing away from the dock. Take care that the loose end of the line does not fowl the prop.

This technique works best when you have a deck hand to tend the line, but the truly advencherous can try it alone.

We did this maneuver about a week ago at a crowded public dock at Boothbay Harbor, Maine, into a 20 knot wind in front of a restaurant crowded with tourist onlookers. Although we had other boats less than a foot from both our bow and stern, we got out without a scratch. Whew!

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking as I read that "rope in the prop" and then read your cautionary statement....think we'll take a different route Smile
katkt

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Katie Kat
Photos: Katie Kat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring line. Just like whats been mentioned. The boat will pivot from the point the line is connected to on the dock(piling etc.). As soon as your clear, let go of the end of the line not tied off to the boat. Pull the line back around whatever you were using for a pivot on the dock, and bring the line back to the boat.
Practice it a few times when you have room.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually crank the engines so the prop is facing away from the dock and put it in reverse and let the engine pull the back end way from the dock. It might take some rpm's but it works for me.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing off the dock on a spring line works well. I have done that for years, BUT be very careful to pad or leave lots of space for the bow 'cause it is drawn into the float (dock) pretty heavily. We used to tie a throwable PDF or two to the bow to protect it. John
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

With my single engine C-Dory, I do the following to get off a windy dock.

I put out a fender close to the bow on the side of the dock.. Turn the wheel into the dock and run the engine slowly forward. The stern should come off the dock. Straighten wheel and put into reverse, and the boat should come away from the dock. Remember, with an outboard, when in reverse, the boat will follow the engine. Not necessarily true with an inboard with a rudder steering the boat.

With twin engines, do the same thing with the fender. But your inboard engine in reverse and your outboard engine forward. It should come off the dock. Then put both in reverse and your boat should go straight back.

Good Luck.

Fred

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap wrote:
Hi Folks,

With my single engine C-Dory, I do the following to get off a windy dock.

I put out a fender close to the bow on the side of the dock.. Turn the wheel into the dock and run the engine slowly forward. The stern should come off the dock. Straighten wheel and put into reverse, and the boat should come away from the dock. Remember, with an outboard, when in reverse, the boat will follow the engine. Not necessarily true with an inboard with a rudder steering the boat.

With twin engines, do the same thing with the fender. But your inboard engine in reverse and your outboard engine forward. It should come off the dock. Then put both in reverse and your boat should go straight back.
Fred

Good Luck.

I know this is an old post but reading this and thinking about the mechanics of it have me guessing. It seems like that use of the twins would be trying to rotate the dock around and away from the bow. Wouldn't it be easier all the way around, to put the inboard engine in forward, the outboard engine in reverse, rotating the bow away from the dock and then, once the bow is out, go to both ahead slow, until fully clear? A stern line on a cleat and a stern fender wouldn't hurt, either.

Harvey
SleepyC

Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general rule is that when I'm in doubt, I use lines to the best of my advantage to get in and out of tight spots. If there's other boats on both sides of me that prevent me from easily getting out, I'll fender up the appropriate side of the boat and using lines I'll walk the boat up the side of one of the blocking boats. If the other boat owner is present, I'll either ask for their help walking me forward or I'll ask for permission to walk down the side of their boat to pull mine out. Since this guarantees that I won't damage their boat, most owners are very considerate and willing to help. Also if the boat near me has railing all down the side I need to go down, I can just fender up and move the boat along by hand holding down the railing. Sure some would rather motor their way out and might be embarrassed to use this manual method of clearing the dock. I however would rather swallow a little pride and be 100% certain of a safe departure. There's a lot to be said for the value of careful, controlled movements of the boat by line and by hand in tight spots. Oh - and having both a bow and stern line that are long enough to allow one to walk the length of the boat with both in hand, really helps, especially if you're single handed.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
[Wouldn't it be easier all the way around, to put the inboard engine in forward, the outboard engine in reverse, rotating the bow away from the dock and then, once the bow is out, go to both ahead slow, until fully clear?

This seems like it would bring the engines/stern into the dock, which seems undesirable (because they are hard to fender/have props spinning). I've always thought that - with outboard(s) on the transom - it's nicer to get the stern away first.

That said, no direct experience with C-dory (yet!), but just other boats.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I am deeply honored to be quoted after six years. I guess I should get back to contributing to this great site.

Fred

INN THE WATER
1983 Angler with a Yamaha 70 HP 4 stroke engine.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am deeply honored to be quoted after six years. I guess I should get back to contributing to this great site.

Fred

INN THE WATER
1983 Angler with a Yamaha 70 HP 4 stroke engine.

twice in one day
go buy a lottery ticket Very Happy

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just cast off all lines and wait for the wind to shift. Or call for a couple of harbor tugs... Cool

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardee, the wind will blow the bow back to the dock. We have used large bow fenders and the spring on both IB & OB engines, single & twins in boats up to 65 feet. Power forward against the spring. Then reverse rudder and back hard astern.

In entremis, lay out a spring or Side anchor to kedge the boat away from the dock, works best with winches or a windless/ capstan and snatch blocks if necessary. Whe have used this trick to get a 62', 35 ton boat off a lee dock against a 50 knot breeze -- charlie's idea of wait for a wind shift makes a lot sense, unless you already waited a week& the kids are flying into Greece. Over 700 miles away!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: