View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Raymarine DSM300 "no data source" Reply with quote

The first time we experienced that message was in Astoria..foggy morning, maybe the second day we had the first CatyMae. The DSM was the first to go, then the radar, then the entire C70 went blank....they told us we'd run the battery down (luckily I had my handheld for backup). The DSM has had that message several times in the first boat, and now, having had the electronics transferred to the new boat, we get the same message...sporadic..really doesn't seem to be battery related, as we've cruised for 30 minutes or so to see if the battery needed charging, but the message is still there....sometimes we can turn it off for an hour and retry and it'll come up fine.

I surfed their website and it appears it could be wiring issues or poor connections. Since it happened over two separate installations, I wrote to Raymarine and they told me it sounds like it could be a faulty unit. They gave me instructions about how and where to ship it and they'll test it for us and repair or replace.

I'm hoping it'll be a speedy repair -- I hate fishing without it! They sure are good about supporting their equipment, IMHO.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same issue but every time it seemed to be battery related. There is a light on the DSM that is supposed to indicate if it's working correctly. Here is what the manual say's.

The LED on the connector panel provides valuable information on the status of your DSM300. The LED blinks green while the module is operating normally. If the unit detects a problem, the LED blinks amber to indicate a warning or red for an error. The number of times the LED blinks is a code representing the nature of the problem. For multiple warnings/errors, the codes are given in sequence with a 1.5 second pause between strings.

1 blink indicates the transducer sense vailed.
2 blinks indicate the network is not connected.
3 blinks indicate a high tempurature warning. (cleared every 10 minutes)

Anyway's you probably already knew that. I sure hope you get it figured out soon. Nothing more unnerving than trouble with your electronics.

On a side note I have found that my house battery will get run down faster if I don't power down the radar unit after the c-80 boots up. Even though I'm not using radar it's sending power up there. It's really only a problem for me when I'm also using the TR-1 autopilot.
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting problem.....one I haven't yet faced with my C-80. I'm wondering....what sort of engines do you have. With my twin Suzulki 50's, I seem to put out enough amps to run all my electronics, including autopilot, without any problems. I know Hondas do not put out as much amps and perhaps that's your problem?
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Mike...we've got Hondas...a 90 and an 8..also read the manual last night that says WOT should show 5000-6000 RPMs, but tops on ours is 4500...something's awry.

Caty
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatyMae n Steve wrote:
Interesting, Mike...we've got Hondas...a 90 and an 8..also read the manual last night that says WOT should show 5000-6000 RPMs, but tops on ours is 4500...something's awry.

Caty

I have the same setup. I do wish the 90 put out more amps. BTW, mine tops out at 5500 rpms on a 4 blade prop (don't know the pitch).
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on "props" and I think you will find the answer on the relationship of props and WOT rpms. rpms being either too high or too low at WOT per the manual is usually because you are under or over propped. In your case you are likely overpropped. It sounds like you need either a little smaller diameter or a little less pitch .

CatyMae n Steve wrote:

Caty

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I some times get the same warning. Check that you do not have some thing hitting the dsm unit. Mines under the drives set in the top shelf and some thing I over stuf the shelf and somethng will push on the wires. I also have the dsm 250. what is the difference between the 250 and 300? do not tell me 50.
Roy and Lucky

C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Water Lillie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced the same problem with the C-80. The cause in my case was definitely betteries. I get the batteries from Costco and replace them under warrenty every two years for a 40% rebate. The problem in my case has been low amperage. Voltage reads good but amperage deminishes with time on Kirkland batteries.
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to the boat tomorrow night...I'll be looking for gremlins interfering with the signal from the DSM Laughing

Caty
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
I've had the same issue but every time it seemed to be battery related. There is a light on the DSM that is supposed to indicate if it's working correctly. Here is what the manual say's.

The LED on the connector panel provides valuable information on the status of your DSM300. The LED blinks green while the module is operating normally. If the unit detects a problem, the LED blinks amber to indicate a warning or red for an error. The number of times the LED blinks is a code representing the nature of the problem. For multiple warnings/errors, the codes are given in sequence with a 1.5 second pause between strings.

1 blink indicates the transducer sense vailed.
2 blinks indicate the network is not connected.
3 blinks indicate a high tempurature warning. (cleared every 10 minutes)

<snip>

We were able to check the light on the module during an active alarm (when it first shows "No data source" and beeps) and it was blinking (really slow) green -- after the alarm went off and it just had the "No data source" on the screen -- slow blinking green -- after about 3 hours trolling with turning the unit on and off to see if the ff was back....blinking slowly green -- as we were coming in to get the crab pot, turned it on and VOILA! the screen was back...slowly blinking green on the module. We're fishing the tournament next weekend, so we'll probably just wait to pull it after that and send it back for Raymarine to do some testing.

I sure hope the fish know there's a tournament next weekend...saw one caught yesterday and heard about one other .... not a bite on our boat!
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the blinking light indicated that there was no problem even though there was? Makes you wonder if it's the DSM or the C-80 itself that has the problem.

Sorry the fish didn't cooperate. I almost went but didn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: