State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gljjr wrote:
put soaked Green Alder in the firebox

Gary – I have to agree with you. Alder is the best wood to barbeque or smoke with. The only difference is, I use seasoned Alder. I am surprised more people in this neck of the woods have not tried it. Could be because it is too easy to get and doesn’t cost anything.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke on a Canadian built Bradley. www.bradleysmoker.com . Its a relatively expensive tool [ $350] ,But fish that you catch yourself is pretty expensive too. Might as well treat it to one of the best smoking tools available . The quality of the unit and control is awsome .From cold smoking [ ambient temp. ]all the way to hot smoking [ @350 Deg.] and everything in between . They have proprietary wood bisquettes with many kinds available .It has a water bath and the wood never "burns" so there is no ash or bitterness , only smoke flavor .I have mine on a plug in timer and once you learn the machine you can set it and forget it . It has a feeder conveyor for the wood bisquettes and slides one onto the heat every 20 minutes and pushes the spent one into the water bowl . Sounds like a sales pitch , but damn, I love that thing !!!!
Marc

Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Otter wrote:
You can vacuum pack it, will last a long time. DO NOT FREEZE> it degrades quite fast. C-Otter.

I freeze my smoked salmon all the time, so long as it is foodSavered (vac packed). It lasts up to a year. Granted not quite as good as fresh off the smoker, but ...

Also, I use my natural gas grill for this operation - The UpTown Smoker. It has 4 burners. I light only one (on one far side), set it to low and place directly on the burner a steel pan with whatever wood I am using - usually alder or apple, soaked overnight in water. (The FoodSaver vaccum jar is good for impregnating wood with water, BTW). I then place the brined fish on the grill, then on additional grills which I stack, using steel angle iron as spacers. I then seal off most of the back vent on the grill with aluminum foil (using magnets to attach it to the grill), crack the lid an inch, add new wood every 20 minutes or so and presto! 2-3 hours later the fish is done.
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, three hours is fast!!! I have a big chief and it definitly is at least twice the time. I just finished a very large batch of sockeye last night and I'd say it took about 10 hours. But I also like mine dryer than some I imagine. And the smoker was packed and some of the pieces were pretty thick. I guess I do all the no-no's since I brine my fish in plastic most of the time, some glass when the batch is a big one, and always freeze at least one pack after vacuum sealing it for late winter when the fish are harder to come by. I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can notice the difference. I also am a big fan of the dry brine. I use the standard one off of salmon university, which is 4 cups brown sugar to one cup kosher salt, and 7-15 cloves of garlic through a press. Mix it up and slap it on, layer the fish in your dish and let brine for 6-12 hours depending on thickness of fillets. Rinse off and I put them on a rack in the fridge for about 8 hours to get tacky. then into the smoker they go. Easy and always turns out great. The honey brushed on sounds interesting though. Will have to try that.

Sark
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vacume pack and freeze smoked fish all the time. It lasts just fine for my tastes.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you might be interested in this link:

>>SMOKER FISH RECIPES<<

Smoked Mullet:

6 dressed mullet of medium size, butterfly cut or spinal split if possible
3/4 cup salt
1 package prepared crab boil
1 gallon water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound hickory chips, soaked in 2 quarts of water overnight

The traditional way of preparing the whole mullet is to remove the head just above where the collarbone would be if fish had collarbones and cut along the backbone almost to the tail so that the mullet lies flat in one piece. Wash the fillets until clean. Add salt and crab boil to the water and stir until dissolved. Pour this seasoned brine over the mullet and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from brine and rinse in cold water; then dry.

If using a cooker designed specifically for smoking, then follow the manufacturer's instructions for use. if you are using a smoker with shelves and a water pan, arrange the fish on the lowest shelves in the smoker. The water pan should be filled about half full with leftover water from the hickory (Mangrove in FL) chips. Close the smoker's lid and open the vent slightly to keep smoke and air circulating. Estimated time is 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

If you are using charcoal or wood fire in a traditional barbecue grill with cover or hood, here are professional smoker's tips: Let the fire burn down to a low, glowing, even heat. Cover with wet (over-night soaked then drained and partially dried) hickory chips. The chips make the smoke. Place the fish on a well oiled grill, skin side down, about 4 too 6 inches from the smoking coals. Baste fish well with oil at the beginning and occasionally during cooking. Covert and smoke for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the mullet flake easily when tested with a fork. Add remaining chips as necessary to keep the fire smoking. DO NOT put the fire out with too many chips, and do not open the cooker too often, venting the smoke and heat. Small twigs of red bay and bay leaves added during the last twenty minutes of smoking will add pleasant flavoring. what we're describing here obviously is what well could be called a delicate balance!

If you're using mullet fillets instead of the traditional spinal cut, shorten the cooking time to 45 minutes, or even less if fish readily passes the flake test. With smoking, however, a little over-cooking usually is better then under-cooking.

(Editor's note: this smoking recipe works well with kingfish, Spanish mackerel, cobia, barracuda, and any other oily fish that you may want to smoke.) Thank you Grif, this is a good one!

Capt. Charlie
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
<stuff clipped> I use the the Lil Chief to smoke fish, snack sausage, etc., with sawdust in the pan.

No...not Sawdust Shocked - we like Dusty...

Cutty - I also make some of the "mistakes" mentioned above. I brine my fish in a metal spaghetti pan (stainless) and often vacuum pack and freeze. It tastes just fine to me after several months (if it lasts that long). I use a brine mix of soy sauce, kosher or pickling (non-iodized) salt, brown sugar, chopped fresh garlic, chopped yellow onions, a little white wine and a little water. I brine over night and smoke for 6-10 hours (depending on thickness). I have a little Chief and almost always use alder wood.

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NEVER smoke fish using Sawdust! Xmas Eek Xmas Eek

I vac pack ours too...nobody complains Smile

Caty
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been eyeballing some smokers lately...these two manufacturers are a little pricey, but they seem to get rave reviews. Both are insulated, temperature controlled, just set 'em and forget 'em. Neither uses the proprietary smoking chips I've seen on some other high-end models - put whatever suits your fancy into them.

Cookshack sells several models, the SM008 and SM009 being their low-end models, which look more than adequate to me. Only difference between the two is powder coat (SM008) vs. stainless (SM009) construction.

SmokinTex makes a couple similar models - the 1300 (powder coat) and 1400 (stainless). Word has it, the owner is an ex-employee of CookShack. Seems like more bang for the buck - has more racks, is slightly larger, and costs less. Reason being, it's China manufactured, whereas the CookShack is US made.

CookShack has some pretty active forums, mostly devoted to their models, but there's info on the SmokinTex there as well.

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about Sawdust! He can eat his way out of any salmon smoker. Yummers. Jon and Cynthia make the bestest smoked salmon in my experience... gotta get over to Pt. Angeles and beg, beg, beg.

Bradley for me - works great. Pricey I guess, but with salmon at about 300 bucks a pound, who cares! My marina neighbor just filled his boat for 900 bucks - and got skunked on his next two trips Rolling Eyes

Dusty

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way from Memphis to Seattle two weeks ago we stopped at a Cabelas in Sidney, Nebraska. They had the Cookshack there and I felt that it looked poorly made. The door latches were very difficult to operate and the over all quality was no where near what I have seen on the Bradley.

I really like the Bradley but my barrel BBQ with the remote smoke box works very well for smoking salmon since I converted it to run on propane (I could never control the heat correctly until I did that). I can smake up to about 50lbs of fish at a time too!

Sawdust

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Don't think you can beat a good barrel/remote box. With a little work you can control the smoke and temp. Worked for me for years - got pretty tough to move from house to house to house.

Dusty
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere, years ago, we had a discussion on how to build a real big dedicated smokehouse you could walk around in with a remote firebox and the whole floor and wall plans.

Somebody worked for an older guy when he was a youth keeping the thing operating as a part time job.......Tyboo???

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sawdust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it was TyBoo -

But now that he's older he probably can't remember anything about the old smokehouse. Time has a way Wink

Young Dusty
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

I just wanted to share our experience with smoking salmon for the first, starting with the great fish we caught on Lake MI with Mark on Not for Hire.

After reading the above posts/recipes, I got on the internet and found www.salmonuniversity.com., which has a great dry brine recipe (their recipe #1). Well, it worked out great and was delicious, but of course, it didn't last long.

Someone said not to smoke frozen salmon, but I did a test filet anyhow. No problem! Perhaps this was because we vacuum packed it.

However, when I did another batch, I tried a variation that is really good. The SalmonUniversity
says to score the fish before smoking, in a "candy bar" fashion. When I did the last batch, I made sure to get the brown sugar/salt brine in between the "bars", but this time when I put the fish in the electric Brinkman smoker I also sprinkled dark brown sugar on top of the filets, as well. I also added more after an hour and a half. Total smoking time was about three hours, with the largest pieces on the bottom shelf.

The added sugar topping gives a slightly sweet flavor and adds a very nice appearance and texture on the surface.

Today I dug out the last of the filets (steaks will be cooked) and they're in the dry brine right now.

Also, we just returned from SC and had a four hour charter where we caught a batch of bluefish. They're in the brine, too.

At first we thought that catching five nice salmon gave us enough fish for winter! Wrong. We're definitely going to get downriggers and catch our own from Valkyrie in August next year.

Mark, you're our guest next time out.

Best regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: