TomCat 255 Trailer - Which is best?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcharlie

City/Region: Houston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: TomCat 255 Trailer - Which is best? Reply with quote

We hear rumors that our TC255 will be hull number 48, scheduled for completion in September 2006.

We still haven't decided on which trailer is best for the TC255. Any thoughts, suggestions, or informed opinions on that subject will be appreciated?

We plan to mostly keep our TC255 in the water at a marina at Seabrook, Texas, but may occasionally want to trail it cross-country (to a C-Brats event, for example).

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alok is currently at my home, examing the "Float on Trailer". We have been happy with it so far. I think that one of the essentials is that there be adequate "Slicks" foreward to allow the boat to slide off and on the trailer easily.

The issue is that the Tom Cat hulls are by necessity over the fenders, so that the trailer has to be deep in the water to allow launch. Is two axle (and larger tires by about 1 to 2") better than 3 axle, which is harder to turn?

My idea is that a tongue dolly, using wheel barrow wheels, with a total capacity of 1000 lbs, be built, with an 8 foot tongue extension be built, to allow launch at shallow ramps.

Regards,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gcharlie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. And thanks for hosting Alok. I know he'll be especially interested in checking out your trailer, as well as your new air conditioner installation. The Float-on Trailer looks like a great option. I've seen the photos you have posted; very helpful.

Your "tongue extension" sounds like a good idea for most circumstances. My main concern would be having a tongue long enough that the trailer wheels might drop off the end of a shorter boat ramp into an underwater hole or into deep mud, before the trailer got deep enough to float the boat off or on the trailer.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,
I am sure glad you let Alok out of League City! What a great guy! The weekend has been a learning experience for both of us!

I think that if a short ramp, and drop off is a consideration, then tripple axle trailers are best! I have used one with a larger and heavier boat, and was able to drop the third axle off the back of the ramp, with no problem.

I was thinking of a place like Lake Powell, where the ramps are very shallow, and long. There you can go deeper with a good tongue extension.

Take care,
gcharlie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complete this thread, we purchased a 40 foot aluminum Float-on trailer for our TomCat 255.

As I write this, we've only had it a couple of weeks, but so far, we're very pleased with it.

You can see photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/charlie.gipson/2006927Apalachicola

Thanks to everyone who posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: