The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

etec 90 versus honda 4 stroke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J&T

City/Region: Everett
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: etec 90 versus honda 4 stroke Reply with quote

We are wannabes looking at c dory 25 and wondered about the etec 90 versus the honda 150. comments?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two E-tec 90's vs. a Honda 150?

Not familiar (personal experience) with either one, but I'd rather have the two light engines and 180 hp than the actually lighter single 150, at first thought.

I'd also look at their torque curves (which might not really be available), and get the choice that gave me the most easy grunt at lower rpm's, and stay away from the choice that was developing it's rated hp at high rpm's with a torue curve that flattened out early on.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: etec 90 versus Honda 150 Reply with quote

We pretty well exausted this subject a year ago while outfitting our 25. Long story short, you are running 2 of everything , 2 water pumps, 2 fuel pumps 2 alternators etc for a 30 H.P gain! You will consume more fuel with the twin set up as well. Good reliable 4 strokes (Honda, Yamy) are going to give an extended service life over the 2 stroke also. I weighed the twin thing for security when a long way out etc and concluded that the number one motor related malady you are likely to encounter is bad fuel. Both those twins feed from the same tank. Maintain you fuel system and that is no longer a consideration. What sold the big single thing for me was when my buddy mentioned the damage consideration. Yea you have twins , but if they are both in the water at the same time you run the risk of being out of commision if any underwater obstruction is encountered, here in Alaska that is a very real possibility. We went Honda 150 & Honda 20 for a kicker / emergency motor. With the boat loaded and full of fuel I can do 23 knots at 4700 rpm. I burn 2.3 gallons per hour average as very few days are calm enough to get my boat into the 20 K range. This is strictly a perspective thing and you now know mine. Good luck in your endevor. Mike on Huda Thunkit
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
I'd also look at their torque curves (which might not really be available), and get the choice that gave me the most easy grunt at lower rpm's, and stay away from the choice that was developing it's rated hp at high rpm's with a torque curve that flattened out early on.

Joe.

You mean like the difference between the Yamaha F75 and F90, Joe? Mr. Green

I also agree with Alasgun's assessment unless one absolutely requires the added maneuverability inherent in wide spaced twins, like in a tight marina situation. There, twins can help make up for lack of skill, especially in windy situations.

Don
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alasgun clearly speaks from experience--

Having spent a number of year as a ME on the BC-Alaska coast in all weather I can state that fuel, diesel or gas, contamination is the biggest issue of all to deal with. Murphy's law kicks in too. In foul weather with the fuel tanks rolling an mixing crud or water off the bottom of the tank-s that when the problems show up and of course thats when your running for shelter and need the engine-s most.
Geoff on Blueback

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get as as many opinions as there are outboard motor owners on the site! My take may be a little different, but I certainly agree on the fuel problem -- keep it clean and free of water. I've run Honda's since they started building them and consider them extremely reliable. Ran a 25 C Dory yesterday with the 135 Honda - sweet package. I've also got a couple of E-Tec 90s - and they have many advantages. It is too soon to make a judgment call on reliability for the E-Tec. With far fewer moving parts than a 4-stroke I'd guess the E-Tec should be as reliable as any 4-stroke -- time, time, time. Maintain any of them and they'll run and run. Many well-maintained 2-strokes still doing their thing after 20+ years.

Just another opinion - and this one has been discussed over and over.

Dusty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: