The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Arima 17 to a C-Dory 19 Angler Rough Water

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CALVIN

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Arima 17 to a C-Dory 19 Angler Rough Water Reply with quote

I currently have a 17 foot Arima which does great in rough water in the ocean. How do the 19 foot C-Dorys do in the ocean?? Idea

I was going to buy a 21 foot Arima, but there's something about the 19 Angler that tells me it might be better economically and still fit my needs.

CALVIN Beer

True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Calvin, I can't attest to the differences between the 21' Arima and the 19' Angler but I did own a 17' Arima Sea Ranger for about twelve years before I bought our 22' cruiser.

I can tell you the only thing I didn't like about the Arima was operating the boat in rougher seas (2-4'). While it certainly was stable and I was very confident in it's ability to stay afloat, it was a considerable struggle to find the right speed. Most of my time was spent in Puget Sound and the the Straight of Juan De Fuca. Even with a liberal application of the engines trim, by the time I could see over the bow (even standing up), I was going faster than I wanted for a reasonably comfortable ride. My experience with the 22' cruiser is exactly the opposite. The bow begins to lower at about 7-8 knots and is on plane at 10-11 knots resulting in as good a ride as I could ever expect from a small, light and economical boat in these type of conditions. The addition of trim tabs have proven to enhance the boats operation in these type of conditions.

The 21' Arima may plane at a lower speed than the 17' due to the length-width relationship. I don't believe there is a significant difference between the C-Dory's. You should call Les at EQ Marine in Whidbey Island, WA. He sells both brands and should be able to answer any questions you may have. Have fun with your decision making processes. You won't be dissapointed with the C-Dory unless going faster than 20 knots or so is one of your highest priorities.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: arg3 Reply with quote

I sure enjoyed all the responses on that topic of the two boat comparisons. looks like you were well informed Calvin.
From what I have read about the 19 C-Ds, is they NEED trim-tabs, (for satisfactory responsiveness) it's not an option.....
Disgust
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: arg3 Reply with quote

Redƒox wrote:
From what I have read about the 19 C-Ds, is they NEED trim-tabs, (for satisfactory responsiveness) it's not an option.....

Actually, you're right RF - they are no longer an option. C-Dory installs them on all new 19's.

I learned this the hard way - as much as I dug Da Nag, she was a pain in the butt in virtually all conditions until I got the tabs on. Those of you who saw me fighting her at the first Sequim gig in 2002 know what I'm talking about...

To address Calvin's concern - shortly after I got my 19, I got caught in what I'd call nasty conditions. I was coming back in to the Berkeley Marina in the afternoon from the far side of the SF Bay - heavy winds, with 6-8 footers real close together. The horizon was playing the hide and seek number on me, and I'd never been in conditions like this before - I'd only had the boat out a couple time before, and was really wet behind the ears (still am...)

End result - I was a little white-knuckled on the wheel, but that experience is what sold me on C-Dorys forever. I never felt in danger or out of control; the design of the boat is such that with a little common sense, even a rookie can deal with the nasty stuff when forced to.

Others have pointed out some of the advantages of the C-Dory design, but for fishing, I really like standing below the water line. I don't know whether the boat rocks less, or you just don't notice it as much since you stand lower, but it's definitely noticeable. I also feel much more secure working over the edge with those nice, high gunnels...

Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: BINGO! Reply with quote

Well said Bill! That's my favorite thing to about the C-D. The standing below water-line. Also the more weight you haul in her, the more stable she gets! ARG Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: